2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

For folks calling it homelessness, is it the RV or the fact they don’t own the land it’s parked on?.. imo this makes a ton of sense. But I don’t have kids or anything.

ETA: Living in a van to address climate change isn’t a particularly effective idea, imo. But it can address the instability the person experiences, which may be caused by climate change.

When I was 25 I got called for jury duty and I told the judge I wouldn’t find anyone guilty so they sent me home. … now at 46 I think I’d lie to get on a jury and find someone not guilty

7 Likes

Being a homeowner sucks a lot of the time, but this is a risk that never occurred to me:

tl;dr: 2 weeks after closing on a house purchase, utility company puts massive utility pole in front of the house.

I often joke about my lawnmower going into orbit over random nonsense, but I absolutely cannot imagine what I’d do if this happened to me.

1 Like

I’m off work recovering from surgery until at least mid May and I’d like to apologize in advance for my posting. Not sure the appropriate place to put this public notice, but this seemed as good as anywhere else.

7 Likes

It’s in Housten, which is famous for having little to no land use/zoning restrictions, I believe. I’d be tempted to troll the people upset by this with “This is freedom” memes.

1 Like

I still have not gotten around to getting the full sleep study due to procrastination, but I got my dad’s old cpap when he got a new one and started using it because I already knew I had apnea due to my ex telling me about my snoring and all that. I started using it and instantly went from feeling like ass every morning to waking up feeling like I had gotten a good night’s sleep. I cannot recommend it enough.

Also I am getting a sleep study next month. The last one the doctor ordered I never got around to finishing, but the first part of it was done at home, so the at-home tests are definitely not all a scam, unless my PCP is a scammer, which I suppose is possible.

1 Like

Jurors can, of course, talk about the case. Officers of the court can’t identify jurors but jurors can identify themselves.

hello google? There seems to be some issue with your autocomplete feature

2 Likes

1 Like

Lets check in on the Villages

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1645793665120632832

9 Likes

Yeah you have to be careful to recuse yourself if it’s something that could cause a mistrial (like knowing the defendant, or other provable lies) but other than that no chance I’m answering any of their questions honestly.

I never thought the freedom would eat MY face.

2 Likes

I was actually one of the hold outs for leaning guilty. There were a couple of jurors who were not guilty strait off the bat.

It was 100% the government’s fault. As far as we could tell they let the lead investigator for the dark web investigation did this trafficking’s investigation and because it was a completely different kind of case, it was a clown show. The charge came down to a specific instance of a drug transaction that the drug dealers said happened on a certain date. The DEA pulled phone records and attempted to collaborate the testimony.

Except they got the date wrong. The defendant had actually visited the drug dealer’s house twice and the defense showed texts between the parties talking about counterfeit handbags while this supposed drug deal was going down. The government then goes back and realizes the defendant was at the apartment two days later and changes their charge. Oof, it made the government look bad though technically they didn’t have to throw out the case. Their exhibits were terrible. Their maps were made a couple of days before by plugging addresses into Google Maps. It’s was very amateur. The prosecutors were professional and very good, but they were handed a shit sandwich.

The other problem was the flipped drug dealers gave different accounts of how the deal went down which didn’t quite match with the evidence. That left really just the drug dealer’s testimony without collaboration and a lot of the jurors didn’t feel like one person’s testimony without collaboration was enough to convict.

I’m not sure that they could have ever gotten to a guilty verdict, but the case seemed so haphazardly put together that it made it a lot easier to find him not guilty, even though almost everyone agreed that the defendant was probably up to something.

5 Likes

The case I “jured” on was a domestic violence case. Everyone on jury thought guy was guilty but the wife didn’t testify and the prosecutor did not prove their case so we all ended up voting not guilty.

For me the deal breaker is no running water. Tiny homes are kinda neat, and a tiny home on wheels is great if you’re fleeing natural disasters or the mafia or whatever, but to live full time in the hotass desert with inconsistent AC and no proper shower sounds miserable

2 Likes

Doing an inventory of all possessions and selling a few artifacts. This first one is definitely the current vibe.

This one has never been sold in the history of Discogs which is definitely making me question if I want to be the first.

6 Likes

i had to attend federal jury duty last year or the year before. got called in twice, both times i was in the first 12 to be on the jury but i knew i was getting struck and did get struck. both were criminal cases, and i was a former prosecutor.

the jury coordinator thanked me for just showing up and not calling her to try and instruct her on the law that attorneys are exempt from jury duty… attorneys here are exempt from STATE jury duty.

1 Like

What. The. Fuck.

Monkey fighting a goat, double teamed by some marmosets while a lion watches on.

I can follow along just fine.

2 Likes