2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

trump promised to liveblog it on truth

1 Like

he SHOULD be on twitch giving reaction commentary

he WILL release a list of the same truths heā€™s been truthing for weeks

2 Likes

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrump/posts/109826690210863604

Nice to see Nancy Pelosi not sitting in the background. Hopefully sheā€™s spending more time with her husband!

:vince2:

I like it. Trick question, but not tricky.

I see no point to it.

Iā€™m sure I would have taken longer. Typing math tilts the fuck out of me. Pencil and paper is where itā€™s at.

Yeah I guess thereā€™s not as much of a draw for our usual H8t3rs Club.

Maybe someone should check to see if the king is broadcasting his own SotU?

King Trumpo

1 Like

Youā€™ve never come across someone who just memorizes shit without understanding it?

Sure, someone who does understand it could just misread it and get it wrong. Thatā€™s not ideal, but I guess the lesson in that case is to pay attention and read the question carefully. Thatā€™s a good lesson as far as proficiency in test taking is concerned. That (i.e. test taking) is, for better or worse, an important skill to have.

Itā€™s a physics class. Itā€™s assumed you have the required math skills or you wouldnā€™t be there. There will be plenty of opportunities to practice test taking. This is just there to make you feel stupid if you snap pick (a).

Memory is critical on timed tests. You need all the shortcuts you can get. Focus on checking understanding of the relevant concepts.

1 Like

I guess I forgot that it was a physics class. In that case, I guess I agree that it is not particularly useful. Of course, asking it straight up wouldnā€™t be useful either. So the problem is not so much the question as it is with the subject of the question.

In an appropriate algebra class, I think itā€™s fine.

1 Like

Well Iā€™d guess the majority of your use of the formula was probably at around age 16 or younger. So itā€™s not college that youā€™re forgetting. I do think forgetting college is standard, especially for people educated beyond that. I remember approximately zero of what I was formally taught in college. Iā€™m excluding things I already knew that were covered in a class. Part of the problem is that I did college very wrong (got degrees in things that were practical, but I didnā€™t like that much).

I definitely feel where youā€™re coming from, though. I think Iā€™m pretty solid up to about 10th grade. Then it gets real fuzzy. But if theyā€™re actually really good at math, then Iā€™ll become useless a lot earlier.

Itā€™s a cliche, but college is about how to think, not what to think. So I donā€™t think it matters if you forgot every equation you ever learned and so on.

My thinking was pretty solid for a college kid going in. It did improve slightly in college, but not because of anything that happened in class. Also improved with post-college education. My college experience was kind of weird though.

The formula is a way of solving for x in quadratic equations (ax^2 + bx + c = 0) when only x is unknown. (a,b,c are some set arbitrary numbers)

The teacher is a complete troll because they reversed the formula by putting cx^2 + bx + a and then reversed the order of addition to hide it even more, which because a,b,c are arbitrary is still right, but nobody writes it that way. The answer would be (a) if it was written normally, but itā€™s (d) because the teacher is an asshole.

Also if our kids are continuing to memorize formulas like that in the internet age instead of learning how to derive it instead, weā€™ve failed. (Iā€™m sure itā€™s still memorized :expressionless: )

Iā€™m sure most here have it memorized, but could derive it if asked.

And thatā€™s probably true of anyone reasonably good at math.

Some of these things just stick in memory. Like everyone here, Iā€™ve got the Pythagorean theorem memorized. Proving it would take me a while, since I havenā€™t thought about the proof in years.

I remember James Garfieldā€™s proof.

https://www.maa.org/press/periodicals/convergence/mathematical-treasure-james-a-garfields-proof-of-the-pythagorean-theorem

Thatā€™s a nice one. I didnā€™t remember it, but Iā€™ve seen it.

This might be easiest:

1 Like

I think contest math might have been the most fun I had in high school.

Whoa whoa whoa, I was with you for a while, but this is crazy. The quadratic formula is a tool that allows you to efficiently solve quadratic equations. If youā€™re going to solve a bunch of quadratic equations, itā€™s useful to memorize the formula so you can do it efficiently. If you donā€™t know the formula, itā€™s probably faster to just complete the square rather than rederiving the formula. The whole point of the formula is to memorize it so that you can forget exactly what ā€œcompleting the squareā€ is.

2 Likes