2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

fyp

The TI-85 was not capable of symbolic manipulation. Youā€™d need a TI-89 to give you exact irrational roots.

Also, the time you waste getting distracted and playing Drug Wars would outweigh any savings.

2 Likes

Those calculators were cheating green lights, you could type notes and access during the test, made me so mad as a not cheating high school student

1 Like

Itā€™s capable of solving polynomials with known coefficients, which I thought was the use case in your example.

I thought it would only give you numeric solutions. Maybe Iā€™m wrong.

Yes, it gives the numeric solution, which is usually the kind I would want

See for me, I just Google ā€œquadratic formula calculatorā€ and not waste brain cycles haha. Or look up the formula and put it in a python script to execute on N examples from a file.

1 Like

Which one, thereā€™s over 350 proofs for Pythagorean Theorem :joy_cat:

Iā€™d argue memorizing that one is both easier and actually is a foundational understanding of our universe like e=mc^2. Knowing the formula for finding the roots of a quadratic formula doesnā€™t really help explain how things foundationally work in a way that should be included in basic education IMO. Itā€™s just a way to learn how to manipulate algebra and derive formulas.

Iā€™d rather a student understand this Fundamental theorem of algebra - Wikipedia than memorize a formula for a specific case (quadratic)

I was told that there would be no math.

5 Likes

Yeah, I won/did well on all sorts of math contests, was on the varsity math team, etc. Really enjoyed it. If I was given the problems from those contests now, I wouldnā€™t get a goddamn thing correct. Donā€™t remember any of it.

My daughter is a sophomore in high school - lots of her schoolwork is out of my jurisdiction at this point. I can help with writing, some social studies, and at least be a second set of eyes on things I donā€™t understand. My son is in 8th grade - I can still help him with math and what-not, but Iā€™ve warned him that my days as a useful parent are numbered.

fukken nerds itt

4 Likes

Ha, I showed my kids proof that I was a total nerd in high school (other than photos): I have multiple math books that I received as trophies for winning math contests. I never opened them and Iā€™m sure it would all read like an alien language at this point, but hey, fond memories.

But yeah, it really is amazing how much stuff we forget. I TAUGHT chemistry for a week in high school when my teacher was out and now my daughter is doing that stuff in her chemistry class. I looked at it and while I recognized it as something Iā€™ve seen before, I had no fucking clue how to do any of it.

brucespringsteenglorydays.mp3

1 Like

I paid someone to do an spss home test for me in college. I dont think i even got a good grade but i just needed to pass

I was told math is all there is.

Are numbers real?

Lol I legit failed math in college three times. That includes when I snatched a spot in the supposed miracle worker teacherā€™s class. She was extremely smart and accessible and engaging and funny and made everyone even me feel like we knew just as much about math as she did.

I still failed.

Ultimately I went back for my bachelorā€™s in my mid twenties at an online school that let me complete the math credit with History of Mathematics or something similar lol. That was fun because I honestly love the concepts. One of my fave books of all time is The Philosophy of Mathematics.

Iā€™m just terrible with numbers themselves.

If you didnā€™t have minds to count, would there still be six of anything?

I donā€™t think I took any math in college, is that even possible?

I always enjoyed physics, though.

1 Like

Are numbers real?

Last I heard, most mathematicians were Platonists. The best descriptions of physical reality we have are highly mathematical. If numbers arenā€™t real, whatā€™s left?

1 Like

Some of them.

9 Likes