2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

Now that I know we have a resident astronomer, I’d like to ask a question. Do you think the universe is infinite?

The teaser for some Netflix documentary had some astrophysicist talking about how if space is infinite that means there are infinite copies of each person on earth, because the particles in a given area of space can only be arranged in a finite number of ways. I stopped watching the documentary before I got to the details on that part though.

Yeah that stuff pisses me off. Even if it’s true it still pisses me off. Infinite copies of me running around?

Supernova factoid, think I got it from XKCD or something.

Which do you think you’d be subjected to more energy from, a supernova happening from an Earth to Sun distance away, or a hydrogen bomb detonating directly against your face?

Well I’m asking the question, so it’s gotta be the supernova, right? Yes it is…

By nine orders of magnitude.

8 Likes

All this stuff is highly speculative. It isn’t so obvious that particles or space are fundamental.

Ugh. Yeah. What a newb.

The more I learn, the more I’m like

shrug

5 Likes

As if one wasn’t enough. :wink:

3 Likes

Not surprising but I thought Mexican pharmacies were generally trusted, at least in the sense of selling you what you are asking for

The results parallel what the UCLA-led team found in four unnamed cities in northern Mexico. Though roughly a third of the 40 pharmacies targeted in the study would not sell high-powered prescription drugs over the counter, the majority did.

And of the 45 pills tested with an infrared spectrometer, researchers found that 20 were counterfeit, including 82% of the Adderall samples and 30% of the oxycodone samples. With their more precise equipment, the researchers were able to get more granular results — and to determine that three of the oxycodone samples were positive for heroin.

They, like The Times, also found that all of the counterfeit pills came from stores in areas frequented by tourists, in locations that often featured English-language medication advertisements.

In 2020, the Mexican government attributed just 19 deaths to opioid use. The U.S. State Department, meanwhile, noted two drug-related deaths of Americans in Mexico that year.

Those figures are “probably very low,” said Romain Le Cour Grandmaison, senior expert with the Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime. “I would imagine it’s a lot more, but it’s impossible to say how many.”

You think?

1 Like

I bought some vicodin in Mexico that had a little vicodin and a lot of something else that was hardcore. I have a feeling it was fentanyl. I threw them away.

This is just bizarre.
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1621287912972210176?t=qrvvjr-9oK7gwQZv-cAg6w&s=19

what the heck

You know what happens when you assume

1 Like

220px-Hellenistic_Money_box_in_shape_of_a_temple_from_Priene_Antikensammlung_Berlin
An ancient greek money box from Priene, 2nd century BC.

The oldest Western find of a money box dates from 2nd century BC Greek colony Priene, Asia Minor, and features the shape of a miniature Greek temple with a slit in the pediment. Money boxes of various forms were also excavated in Pompeii and Herculaneum, and appear quite frequently on late ancient provincial sites, particularly in Roman Britain and along the Rhine.[4]

Pig-shaped money box
220px-Majapahit,_Piggy_Bank
Majapahit terracotta piggy bank, 14th/15th century Trowulan, East Java. (Collection of National Museum of Indonesia, Jakarta)

The earliest known pig-shaped money containers date to the 12th century on the island of Java. The Javanese term cèlèngan (ꦕꦺꦭꦺꦁꦔꦤ꧀; literally “likeness of a wild boar”,[n 1] but used to mean both “savings” and “piggy bank”) is also in the modern Indonesian language.

A large number of boar-shaped piggy banks were discovered at the large archaeological site surrounding Trowulan, a village in the Indonesian province of East Java and possible site of the capital of the Majapahit Empire.[5]

There are a number of folk etymologies regarding the English language term “piggy bank,” but in fact, there is no clear origin for the phrase. The earliest citation in the OED is from 1913,[6] and from 1902 for the variant “pig bank”.[7] It is believed[by whom?] that the popularity of the Western piggy banks originates in Germany, where pigs were revered as symbols of good fortune.[8] The oldest German piggy bank dates to the 13th century and was recovered during construction work in Thuringia.[9] The earliest known use of “pig bank” in English is the 1903 book An American Girl in Mexico, which describes them as a Mexican souvenir.[10][11] In Mexico, piggy banks are called alcancía, a term originating from Andalusian Arabic.

2 Likes

One of the folk etymologies I found on a bank website was that ancient people apparently had a fuckin open clay dish type thing called a pygg at the front door where they’d drop their keys and coins and shit lol

Gotta admit that Greek piggy bank is cool as shit

I’m not much of a cosmologist, I just know space is pretty fucking big and space-time very very weird and counterintuitive. Where is the edge of space, or what was there before the big bang, I don’t think we can really answer those questions in a way that makes any kind of sense in our pea-brains.

1 Like

Haha, that’s great. Us supernovae peeps have been waiting for a Galactic supernova for a long time now, the last known supernova in our own galaxy was 400 years ago and the rate is supposedly around 1/100 years. Let’s hope it’s close, but not that close!

2 Likes

Australia’s pharmaceuticals regulator approves psilocybin for treatment-resistant depression and MDMA for PTSD.

Lol wait we do this

1 Like