2023 LC Thread - It was predetermined that I would change the thread title (Part 1)

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1624450281500024832

1 Like

Are we at (balloon) war with China?

I realize China has a billion people and lots of money but I’m failing to see the upside to lobbing balloons over here to get shot down.

i think a few had already been in flight when biden started shooting them down. and even with navigation, seems they would take weeks to return to china the long way

For me it’s a little concerning that government leaders are making very public announcements that they are shooting these things down.

I havent been following.

1. Do we know it’s a spy ballon?

2. Do we know its aimed at the US? These things probably float a long way right? Could it be aimed at their own people, or vietnam or something?

Also still have no explanation for why spy balloons are necessary given satellites.

Cheaper? Maybe they have sensor equipment that doesn’t work from space (chemical detection, etc)?

Another one…

https://twitter.com/senatortester/status/1624583787161026560?s=46&t=6ieqKDGMWRwFj086ZSwiHQ

Omfg there is no hope left

My favorite fact about Minesweeper is that it is something like 99.99% solved. But if you could solve the last little remaining bit (or show it can’t be solved), you would have effectively solved one of the worlds most challenging math problems (P=NP) and win a million dollars.

1 Like

Spy balloons are helpful for signal intelligence: monitoring electronic communication. Satellites fly too high to pick up some of that. The US does a lot of that using manned aircraft.

Also now China gets to see how our military reacts when stuff floats into our airspace.

What exactly does the bolded part mean?

I made a balloon thread. It’s time.

2 Likes

Basically if you programmed a robot to play minesweeper optimally, it would take a very obscure position to slow the robot down a little.

Forgive my dumb (also I’ve been drinking), but what does “it” mean here?

But basically problems where you have to take the whole grid into place are difficult to solve, and there are peculiar positions that can really only occur in large grids that would work like logic gates which makes it even harder to solve quickly

I think I’m too dumb for anything beyond like halfway down page 3 in that paper.

I guess maybe the problem is that I don’t know what “solved” means in this context (especially in regards to it’s 99.99% solved, but not 100% solved).

Like I know, say, tic-tac-toe is solved, because there’s a certain set of moves that can guarantee a draw every time. Is it like that? I assume so, but there’s some connection I’m not getting.

Yeah I admit I don’t fully understand the problem either when you start getting into the insane details.

Well like the other example I’ve heard of is the traveling salesman problem. Say you have a salesman that wants to travel between 200 cities. There is an efficient algorithm that is within 99% of the optimal results. But if you want the optimal result you have to brute force it which is not efficient at all.

1 Like