2022 World Series of Poker - Commonwealth goes on a heater

The great thing about poker is that there are different games and formats to accommodate all sorts of style.

In general, I don’t find NLHE to be fun, but I don’t complain too much about everyone wanting to play hold em.

Isn’t the rec dream winning a satellite like Chris Moneymaker into a tournament you probably couldn’t afford to buy into outright?

My point is it shouldnt because mega sats are really not fun to play. You are better off using that money to play a regular tournament. There are plenty of great tournament to play this summer for 500 bucks.

1 Like

I haven’t played poker in years and only played online, but I always enjoyed tournaments (or Sit and Gos) more because they felt more like competitions, like sports contests. I was pretty mediocre, but they’re just what I had more fun playing.

They’re fun to win.

The big payday of tournaments seem to draw in recreational players. The rake and style of play completely turn me off. I will fire one plo tourney if it’s running when I’m in town for the wsop. Got 25th in the 1K a few years ago, but it was a pretty miserable playing experience.

1 Like

Omaha is a pretty bad mtt game imo.

2 Likes

Live tournaments are a very, very different experience than online. Live tournament players are the most miserable people (outside of old stud and mixed game players of course). And the pace of play is glacial.

Picture hundreds of Shaun Deebs. These dudes smell, they’re assholes, the whole vibe just sucks.

2 Likes

Did you play rhe wsopc main? Apparently first ever met for the fish who won

I didn’t. Couldn’t play last day. I hear that though. Good for him. Was a tough field. Lots of great players.

Didn’t follow it closely, but not at the FT apparently. Had one guy from my home game FT and they just mega punted.

1 Like

Even with that huge loss I posted I ended up close to 8k all from the plo games.

1 Like

But there aren’t many options for tournaments if you’re arriving at 6pm, giving you time to eat before an 8pm start, unless you are happy late-regging to push-fold pre.

Other options are late reg the 5pm 400 daily deepstack or play the 9pm 200.

The big blind ante makes omaha more playable as a tournament game.

Tournaments are boring as shit until you finally make a deep run then there’s nothing else like it. The intensity of focus with that much money on the line is incredibly engaging and fun.

Satellites are great because you can mostly autopilot them if you know what you’re doing and people consistently play the high leverage spots super poorly.

5 Likes

I guess i don’t see the “great” part here. They have all the boring as shit part of a tournament, only without the intensity and focus of much money on the line. Even on the bubble it’s the same boring shit only with infinite stalling and collusion.

On unrelated topic, Galfond is streaming his 5k online bracelet tourney event. Fun watch.

He just opened HJ QTdd to 3400 at 800-1600 with 44bb.
CO 3b to 11.2k, he calls.
Flop A63r one diamond. Galfond check, CO bets 6.5k, galfond c/r to 15.6k, CO calls.
Turn Jx. Galfond bets 16800, CO folds.

I would have never won that pot.

3 Likes

One year I went to the WSOP and just grinded the single table satellites. They are super soft, have the lowest rake, and selling the lammers was easy.

They are also the best dealing gig in the place.

2 Likes

Basically the only argument in favor of playing satellites is that no good players bother with them. If you want to play a form of NL where the average age is 60 and the play is still stuck in 2005, enjoy

But even easier than the satellites are the cash games on the side. Sooooooooo juicy.

I haven’t been in a very long time, so maybe things have changed.