2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

My opinion of SoCal weather remains unchanged. How do you even make small talk without weather?

You talk about traffic instead.

And then when there is weather you talk about it like the apocalypse is upon us. I once heard my coworker repeat a harrowing story throughout the day about how he had to walk an entire block out of his way to get around a giant puddle.

4 Likes

Since my former in-laws live in Juneau (located in a rain forest), I made a few trips out there, all during the summer months. For one visit we were there the first week of July, and it hadn’t rained for nearly 7 days.

Probably half the random locals we chitchatted with asked, “It has been dusty lately, hasn’t it?”

2 Likes

The word is biopic. The way I personally pronounce this word is:

• BIO-pic (BUY - oh - pick)
  • bi-OPIC (buy - AH - pick)

0 voters

buy OH pick

1 Like

This has actually been on my mind recently. I have always read it in my head as buy-AH-pick. But listening to some recent movie podcasts reveals that people who presumably know better pronounce it BUY - oh -pic.

So I am trying to adopt that pronunciation even though it feels unnatural. The same way that I’ve adopted spelling the word judgment, even though it clearly should be spelled judgement.

Boo for pie chart and for making results anonymous.

1 Like

My goal with this poll was to rustle as many people as possible so looks like we’re off to a great start. Now we just need people heatedly arguing for one pronunciation or the other.

Biopic is short for “biographical motion picture”. Therefore, “BUY - oh - pic” is correct.

It’s also why it’s gif and not jif.

2 Likes

So then the correct pronunciation of bionic is “BUY - oh - nic”?

Check the poll. Lots of morons here.

1 Like

Now do bionic.

1 Like

How do “buy - AH - pick” people pronounce the title of this terrible film?

It directly contradicts your pronunciation rules for biopic. Unless you’re trying to tell me that The Six Million Dollar Man was hanging out with the BUY-oh-nick Woman?

buy-OPP-ic for us commoners

English is widely known for its rigid pronunciation rules and lack of illogical exceptions to them.

1 Like

At least one notable dictionary thinks you’re hearing buy-AH-pick correctly in American English:

I was always skittish about Biot as in Biot-Savart. I speak a little French but went with bee-OH so as to not attract attention from jerks.

My immediate thought

The Simpsons has something for everything. I’m probably a bad person too.

3 Likes