2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

This was slightly less fun than I thought it’d be, but was OK. Was presented with five SUVs and had to rate each of them in a bunch of different ways. Got somewhat tedious, for each car it was like “Stand on the marker for #1. Do you like the way the car looks? Now stand on #2, what about now?” They also made me enter and exit each SUV’s third row. I’m a big guy so that wasn’t super fun for several of them. Then I had to do a whole pricing test thing which was annoying. But it only took about 90 minutes. And, based on my answers they put me into another focus group, so I’m getting another $300 for another 90 minutes on Wednesday!

5 Likes

This is actually pretty interesting. I guess they use this to inform what angle to show the car in commercials?

Maybe, but I got the idea it was more about getting as good of a sense of how much you liked each car as possible, what you liked/didn’t like etc. It became clear that one of the automakers was behind the research, which is how I ended up in the secondary study - the sponsoring automaker’s car was my favorite.

Did you realize this early on, and game your answers, or were your responses genuine?

6 Likes

I did realize it early on - it seemed like we were comparing current models of four automakers against the future model of one, but my answers were genuine. I had no idea there would be a secondary panel, or the criteria they’d be using to choose.

funny thing i used to see when I used to work in transportation was seeing a car that was all wrapped up because it was a model being transported that hadn’t been released yet, but you could clearly see the mercedes logo underneath the wrap, over what was very obviously a mercedes

https://twitter.com/YouGovAmerica/status/1587187655942574080?s=20&t=gx2gq_5lL2rNyILVyLZ3Pg

2 Likes

Hm, “a person who is not transgender dress up as a transgender person” I assume they mean that literally, like dressing as a historical figure who was transgender, and not just dressing as the opposite sex. Otherwise my Elsa costume from back in the day is not going to age well.

1 Like

How does one dressed as a trans person?

2 Likes

A couple going as before-and-after Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner?

Ya this is just confusion between trans and cross dressing.

How did you sign up for this? I’m interested in trying.

I could see one version where someone maybe wanted to be a character that was played by a transgender individual. For example, a few years back I knew some people who went as a squad of characters from Orange is the New Black. A cis black woman portrayed the Laverne Cox character in the group.

There is also another version where a cis guy just throws on a dress and spends all night “joking” about using the womens’ locker room or joining the swim team.

I got invited. I thought it was because I had participated in this kind of thing before, but I now believe/know that I qualified based on what I drive now, I think they started with that criteria.

I had to talk my (white) friend down from wearing blackface to go as Mr. T one year and to this day I’m still not sure if he was just trolling me or not.

also: A+ couples’ costume right here you you history nerds:

5 Likes

My parents had a gourd and pumpkin on the stoop so now they’ve got this. No idea what it’s supposed to be!

2 Likes

Penguin O’Lantern?

3 Likes

ET?

Sad ET. Trying to phone home.

Ha yeah something like that! A baby dinosaur maybe? With a nice hat.

1 Like