2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

Hey smart guy, the toilet actually only cost a million dollars, 40% of the headline cost is actually going to pay the salaries of the bureaucracy overseeing the project. Can’t believe you fell for this!

3 Likes

Building a house in the middle of a public park.

1 Like

Just one data point but I have no stigma about online dating. I know at least a half a dozen couples in long-term relationships from dating sites.

My problem is that first dates are a circle of hell for me, and the standards of what I’m attracted to are several levels above what I should reasonably expecting.

I could get over the first thing, but I don’t know how to change the second thing. I’ve tried. But if you have to try to be attracted to someone, they can generally pick up on that and it doesn’t go well.

Maybe I should stop looking at pron. No couldn’t possibly be that.

1 Like

I think most people still trust their dealer not to kill them. Lol at ordering cocaine from a delivery service.

what did I misread?

You literally posted “hurr durr it could totally be legit”

You jumped from “we can’t absolutely prove that it’s corruption” (sure, I’ll agree that if we were in a courtroom setting nobody has met the “beyond a reasonable doubt” standard) and somehow got to “you can’t even consider corruption as the the reason for this and here are a bunch of even less likely, easily debunked explanations that you should for some unnamed reasons be considering first”

It’s in a park, it’s not like they’re trying to build underneath an existing subway station or something that would obviously drive construction prices through the roof.

Ok

Is it worth spending this money now based on current costs is a fair question but it’s not corruption by any definition of the word.

So $1.7m is a realistic cost to build a bathroom like that?

2 Likes

The article is paywalled, but I got the impression it was someone they didn’t know. But it might just be the WSJ’s dumb way of saying drug dealer.

I’ve never known a dealer who delivers, the description seems reasonable to me.

If you watch those shows about drug dealers on Vice, they always have some dealer to interview who drives around as a delivery service. Both of these for example:

Disable javascript in your browser for that url and you should be able to view it 95% of the time.

archive.ph usually works too. I just wasn’t that interested to bother.

I’ve known some dealers who deliver - more in cities like SF and NY.

LA dealers aren’t spending an hour in traffic to show up at your door. They have you meet them at gas stations.

For reference here $300k is like a totally normal architect fee for a commercial project with a cost in the tens of millions of dollars.

2 Likes

My old firm that did mostly public works projects, averaged about 11-16% of construction cost for design fees… That included most engineering (limited civil, no electronic security engineering).

1 Like

It seems weird but the drug dealers are pathological capitalists. Fentanyl is ridiculously inexpensive to make, so they put it in almost everything. This allows them to provide less real product and gets people addicted to fentanyl.

It seems counterintuitive to mix an opioid with a stimulant but illegal drug users are often not discerning and with time it becomes the new normal for the drug being sold.

The fentanyl reality terrifies me. I don’t use any illegal drugs, but I certainly experimented with it when younger and almost any illegal drug distributed now has a huge chance of containing fentanyl. 75% of US drug deaths involved fentanyl. Just scary for people.

That’s exactly how it works.

I don’t do coke anymore. But I’d be shocked if it’s made its way into the LA supply. Angelinos are like the French with fine wine. They would know.

That’s lower than my market which is around 20% but if we assume 16% that would be $120k leaving $180k for architecture. No idea how that compares to the market there. Still doesn’t seem insane. High for sure but not out of the realm of possibility especially it this is a level 3 cost or something similar with up to 40% flex built in.