2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

I don’t know about leaking tanks, but I can verify the site used to be a gas station (and a parking lot).

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/San-Francisco-neighborhood-has-town-square-16984327.php

The park opened in 2016. Not sure why they didn’t include a toilet back then.

1 Like

This is the cost breakdown.

2 Likes

Well, everyone on Industry is snorting it non-stop. Can’t imagine NYC would be too different.

1 Like

This makes it all seem really dumb.

The plumbing is already there, added when the plaza was constructed six years ago, but there was never money for the actual bathroom.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/bayarea/heatherknight/article/million-dollar-toilet-17518443.php

I guess the park itself cost $1.6 million.

https://www.450architects.com/project/noe-valley-town-square/

1 Like

Thanks. Your searching skills clearly beat mine. :grin:

Only thing that seems a bit odd there is the $150k for construction management. That’s 20% which is high but not insane.

In the end this looks like a nothing story.

1 Like

It looks a bit like SF and Parks inflating the estimated budget so they can use the excess on other stuff. Corruption or just how budgeting works?

Me for 10 years

When you look at that budget breakdown most of the costs are not bureaucratic.

I am guessing same thing pre covid would have been 30 to 40% cheaper for the construction costs. Anything construction right now is insanely expensive due to simple supply and demand. My company has trouble getting contractors to even respond to RFPs when a couple years ago they would beg us for work.

Is it worth spending this money now based on current costs is a fair question but it’s not corruption by any definition of the word.

I am sure that is over-estimating here as civil servants have so much incentive to do this because they face so much backlash if any project goes over budget. They are in a bit of lose lose situation.

how much do you think it costs (even in the current enviroment) to build, say, a normal 3-bedroom house? Do you think it’s possible to build one for less than 1.7 million american dollars?

2 Likes

I was told Cocaine doesn’t lie what the hell.

3 Likes

Of course it’s possible to build one for less. It seems like everyone, including the people who made this budget, don’t expect this one to cost $1.7m.

Your question isn’t answerable as it depends on a million variables you didn’t provide which was my whole point from the start of this discussion.

The “lol $1.7m it’s clearly corruption” takes were just doing really bad media skepticism and falling for click bait.

1 Like

lol come on

as opposed to what you’re doing, which is just accepting everything at face value

and it is ABSOLUTELY possible to answer my question

like, name ONE variable that makes it “impossible” to answer my question

I am the one accepting it at face value by waiting for data?

I already named several variables up thread that could change costs by orders of magnitude.

Anyway not going to fight you. I wish once in a while people could just post “ya looks like I misread that one”.

Carry on.

That is batshit crazy.

Right, the take here isn’t “it’s totally fine and normal for a toilet to cost $1.7M”, it’s “these headlines are click bait and you all are falling for it”

1 Like

It’s important to me that people don’t miss this.

5 Likes

My cousin’s wife’s sister fell into all the Q stuff and I know has had very minimal trauma in her life - unless you count growing up in a religious WASP country-club racist household.

I sort of dated her a bit before way before she fell into the Q-hole. She’s just a very basic person, and was kind of immature for her age in her mid-20s.

Her biggest problem imo is she’s a stay-at-home mom and has way way too much time on her hands. Also she was kind of the wayward daughter, and I think right-wing politics was a way to re-bond with her Mom. But once she got on that train it took her all the way to Q-town.

I think we give the average person way too much agency in this stuff. When it’s 99% environment and social circles. The only agency is starting down the path.