2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

I also think the internet age has created an avenue for people to better understand the exploitative nature of employment in a capitalistic society. When I joined the workforce about 20 years ago, everyone in my age cohort (including me) thought that capitalism was basically good, that we were lucky to have an opportunity to work in a big company, and that if we worked hard and did good work then we would be rewarded with a successful career. Fast forward 20 years - now I am senior enough to see out survey results of all our employees and our young employees are massively skeptical of everything we say, they demand that we publish a persuasive sustainability report, etc. Their attitude is much more challenging, and I think this is one of many silver linings on the giant dark grey cloud of terribleness that social media has wrought on society.

There are some drawbacks though. I run my company’s pension plans and we have a normal savings plan with an employer match and by far the lowest rates of participation are among our employees in their 20s. When we poll the people that don’t participate, they don’t cite competing financial demands as the reason they don’t sign up for our plan. What they say is that they don’t trust us, they think the pension plan must be some kind of scam and the company match must come with hidden strings attached. This is self defeating for them and it’s really hard to persuade even smart young people that they should participate in our savings plans when they go home at night and read about exploitative employers. They genuinely think we are going to take their pension savings and not give it back.

9 Likes

The family of George Floyd has said it is considering taking legal action against Kanye West after the rapper alleged that the 46-year-old man died from drug abuse.

“They hit him with the fentanyl, if you look the guy’s knee wasn’t even on his neck like that,” West said on the podcast.

Civil rights lawyer Lee Merritt responded to West’s claims on behalf of Floyd’s family.

“While one cannot defame the dead, the family of #GeorgeFloyd is considering suit for Kanye’s false statements about the manner of his death,” he tweeted on 16 October.

“Claiming Floyd died from fentanyl not the brutality established criminally and civilly undermines and diminishes the Floyd family’s fight.”

This seems a lot like Alex Jones spouting bullshit about Sandy Hook, why wouldn’t Kanye West get the same treatment?

I think it’s even slightly worse, because some professions, like mine, are seen as a cost, never a value, so you always get treated sorta like an annoying expense. It isn’t true - because the reality of what I do means I basically can eliminate entire jobs/teams because they become redundant as the business automation becomes more efficient. This is negative cost, but it’s never seen that way. The other option for a person like me is consulting, which requires a certain type of networking I’m not naturally good at.

I think the american worker, regardless of how skilled, is generally in a really shitty spot. Entering into business also has a big barrier to entry. I’m in my middle 30’s and utterly at a loss how to proceed the next 30 years of my working life.

This dovetails with America’s giant “dumb kids of rich people get to run everything” problem. While you may see starting a business as having a big barrier to entry, rich kids just get money from their parents or “investment” from rich friends of their parents. Then when their stupid ventures fail after they incinerate their capital, they just chalk that up as work experience and get a job at a company founded by one of their dad’s friends. MERITOCRACY!

2 Likes

yea, I know a ton of kids that went to an uber-expensive school like chapman, study history (nothing wrong with that), then get like a $500k loan from their parents to start whatever dumb business idea their parent thinks their kid can manage and they usually do just fine, albeit probably being terrible bosses themselves.

Being self-employed sucks. Running a business sucks. Having employees sucks.

The grass isn’t any greener over here.

2 Likes

First time hearing of 88 Tactical. They are opening a location here.

They are straight nazis…

unfortunately I have heard a lot about them.

88 isnt even trying to hide the white supremacy, it’s literally the brand

I have been on a lot of prison tiktok lately and it is shocking how much former inmates talk about the relatively common accessibility of cell phones in prison.

Hahahahahaha Candace Owens convinced Kanye to buy her husband’s shitty company. Just endless grifters.

1 Like

"You see, yard sales are based on the “Bigger Idiot Theory.” That there is nothing too stupid that some bigger idiot won’t come along and buy it. The problem is that, eventually, you get to the head idiot and you call her “Mom.”

2 Likes

I’m making tons in world of warcraft based on this exact theory and I didn’t even know what it was called until now, thank you

Well, as we have seen with Ye’s close friend Elon, “agreeing to buy” and “buying” are two different things.

1 Like

https://www.axios.com/2022/10/17/ye-to-acquire-parler

"In a statement, Parler’s parent company Parlement Technologies said it has entered into “an agreement in principle” to sell Parler to Ye for an undisclosed amount…

Under the terms of the agreement, Parler has agreed to sell fully to Ye, but Parler will continue to receive technical support from Parlement Technologies, including access to its private cloud services and its data center infrastructure."

And why do I have a feeling that the “technical support” agreements are pretty generous to the current principals?

https://twitter.com/mmasnick/status/1582076611376971777?s=20&t=Q1y5WdaZp1N0KZukO4Zojw

1 Like

Someone should leak the list of emails.

https://twitter.com/MinorityBabble/status/1582083202545778688?t=RY40sz926p7VgiFxTrAJIQ&s=19

State Rep. Matthew Maddock, an influential Republican leader in Michigan whose wife is co-chair of the Michigan Republican Party and has praised Muslims and Christians in Dearborn working together against certain books and educational materials, also attended.

At times, the meeting appeared to be a political rally, with the crowd booing loudly for Democrats such as U.S. Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Detroit, Attorney General Dana Nessel and Dearborn Mayor Abdullah Hammoud, accusing them of being in favor of LGBTQ books the protesters believe are offensive and violate their religion.

DePerno criticized the board, accusing them of allowing a speaker to “disparage the Muslim faith.” Karamo said “parents do not send their kids to school to explore their sexuality,” as the crowd cheered in approval of her remarks. Both she and DePerno were loudly applauded and met with potential voters in the hallway as supporters handed out campaign fliers for DePerno. Also on Thursday, the GOP nominee for governor, Tudor Dixon, gave a statement to Axios expressing support for the Dearborn protesters. And a spokeswoman for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis posted tweets in support of the Muslim protesters. Several conservative websites and social media accounts praised the Muslims of Dearborn for attacking the books.

1 Like