2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

I found a new “feature” in Excel formulas and I’m trying to understand why anyone would want to use it.

Say you have this range of data:

And you want to calculate the sum of rows 1-3 and 5 (i.e., everything but row 4).

You could do =A1+a2+a3+a5 or =sum(A1:A3, A5), but what you CAN’T do is =sum(A1:A3+A5). Apparently, what that does is incorporate the last value into every component of the named A1:A3 range, which means I want the sum of three values, where the values are A1+A5, A2+A5, A3+A5.

So sum(A1:A3, A5) = 33
sum(A1:A3+A5) = 55

Came across this while grading and it took me quite a while to figure out what was going on.

This is a lot of goods and services unfortunately. I haven’t found a better way of dealing with it other than soliciting 5+ quotes or being an expert in that particular business.

I don’t even know what happened to the asteroid. Did we destroy it? Change its trajectory? Piss it off? What was the expectation and how did it play out?

Well you would know if you read the space thread!

The expectation was the impact would change its trajectory by 1%. More precisely, they want to see at least a 73 second decrease in its orbital period around its bigger companion asteroid to call it a success but they’re a little cagey about the expected number for some reason. On the broadcast prior to the impact, one of the hosts said it was 10 minutes, whereupon the project manager guy asked him where he got that number like it was supposed to be some secret. (I did some intro physics calculations and came up with ~8 minutes. That’s assuming a perfect strike though.)

The various groups with telescopes trained on it probably already have an estimate of the result since the orbital period is ~12 hours. They may not say officially for weeks though. Bastards. Maybe it will leak.

3 Likes

I thought I was tracking the space thread, but my new post notifications are broken and I’ve been missing all sorts of stuff lately.

1 Like

I wasn’t really saying anyone has to read anything fwiw. As cool as it seems to some of us I’m sure most people don’t care and don’t have much reason to.

When I first got accepted to UC Santa Cruz I applied for university housing. It was rather simple: I put down very few preferences for my living situation, filled out the basic information and sent it. New students had priority for housing so I’d be a shoo-in. Time went by, summer wore down, and I never got an email indicating I had been selected. Just weeks before the start of the school year I emailed the housing official asking why I hadn’t be accepted yet. The official informed me that every applicant should simply assume they didn’t get a place and search for housing on the private market.

I didn’t have time to apply for market housing. There was only 2 weeks left before school. I kept badgering the housing official and within 1 week of school starting, a frustrated administrator looked over my application and complained I had too many preferences. She advised I strip all my preferences and re-submit. My preferences were the basic dorm ranking I was told to partake in. The secret was to apparently just not have any preferences at all. So I did. Within a few hours I was assigned a UCSC dorm.

1 Like

Ridiculus here in Salt Lake City too. The University of Utah was asking local alumni, faculty, and staff to take in students. They called it the “Home Away from Home” program.

There is a new Anthony Bourdain book out and man is it hard not to blame Asia Argento for him being dead. She seems truly terrible.

I mean, it was abundently clear just from his TV shows that the guy was a troubled alchoholic. Thats likely to be a salient isue here is my guess.

3 Likes

He also seemed incredibly possessive. I’m a huge Bourdain guy, but blaming Asia fully for his suicide seems icky. Blaming her is too simplistic of an answer to explain the actions of a man that seemed deeply troubled for years.

Look, I agree. But having him pay off the victim of her sexual abuse was mega scummy.

I saw the documentary on his life and it seemed as though they were trying really hard to say that Asia didn’t influence his suicide which made it clear to me that she totally did.

Lol I hate it when a woman makes a guy kill himself, robbing him of many more years of geting drunk for my entertainment.

3 Likes

@spidercrab WTF dude?

8 Likes

Spider crabs are pretty terrifying.

So much for the tolerant left.

10 Likes

Bourdain seems not great himself and the author seems unreliable:

The book has already drawn fire from Mr. Bourdain’s family, former co-workers and closest friends. His brother, Christopher Bourdain, sent Simon & Schuster two emails in August calling the book hurtful and defamatory fiction, and demanding that it not be released until Mr. Leerhsen’s many errors were corrected.

“Every single thing he writes about relationships and interactions within our family as kids and as adults he fabricated or got totally wrong,” he said in an interview.

Mr. Leerhsen said that such resistance from the Bourdain camp [to talking with him] helped open other doors for him. “A lot of people were willing to talk to me because they were left behind by Tony and by the Tony train,” he said, adding that some were moved to speak by their anger over the damage Mr. Bourdain had done to his daughter.

The episode with Argento having sex with a 17 year old is obviously extremely gross, but I wouldn’t infer much about her relationship with Bourdain from that. Very likely it was one of those explosive co-dependent relationships which happen when unstable people hook up.

Yeah he was obviously a terrible father and deeply flawed guy.

OK bros, this is important. Which House members do we need to phone bomb so that the House passes the permanent daylight savings time bill that has already passed the senate during their lame duck session?

2 Likes