2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

Mornings are frowned on. I remember a few nights working by our truck headlights.

Evidently 10:00 pm is the cutoff. I feel bad for the guys to be honest. The noise is whatever at this point. They haven’t worked on the house in over 2 weeks and all of a sudden they are hanging siding at 9:00 at night. Weird.

Could be they were close to finishing and didn’t want to come back the next day for a couple of hours then have to pay people to drive to the next job.

One of the few perks of having to get up at an ungodly hour to work construction is the joy of rolling into a wealthy neighborhood at 7:00 AM sharp and annoying the hell out of all the rich pricks who live there by spitefully firing up all your loudest tools.

8 Likes

I think nights depends on how loud it is and proximity to your neighbors. In a dense neighborhood you don’t want to make enemies of your neighbors working that late, unless it’s like an emergency flooding or something and then you could explain to your neighbors that you’re very sorry about it but it couldn’t be avoided. Doing renovations late at night is not neighborly though.

They just started on the first side haha. I’m sure they have their reasons, but who knows.

Yeah, till your boss yells at you for starting the mixer even though he forgot to fill you in on the local rules.

1 Like

You ever get a MRI and they ask you “what kind of music would you like to listen to?” I just responded “not country”. They decided on rock, fine I didn’t care. The first song was pretty unmemorable as I was just lying there trying to remain still. The next song though, is this fucking banger. I had to appreciate the irony of playing RATM while I’m literally inside a machine, but I gotta wonder if they were just fucking with me.

6 Likes

As a worker I’d generally be fine with not having to work late or getting to sleep in an extra hour if some place had strict rules. We rarely worked on remodels so homeowners and concerns about neighbors didn’t come up often. If they did that was something for the general contractor or my boss to worry about.

Sometimes you have to show up to show you haven’t forgotten about a job. I wouldn’t be surprised if they just disappear for another couple of weeks before they come back to finish the job.

1 Like

haha I used to do this with the boat. it’s in a super wealthy area and you can hear the sound for miles. the law requires you to sound one prolonged blast every time you leave your slip, which would be about every 10-15 minutes for the residents. out of courtesy lots of guys never did, but if i was grouchy at 6am… lol

There is an unmarked rail crossing close to my house in white picket suburbia. The regulations say that the train must use it’s horn before entering this unmarked crossing, and they would always lay on a short token blast. The Karens of next-door banded together and filed a petition to get them to stop this as, apparently, it was harshing their collective tranquility. Note that the train crossing predated anyone living in the area.

Once the operators were made aware of the petition the short token blasts turned into a 15+ second apocalypse blast. Every time they crossed. For over a year they kept it up before returning to the courtesy toot. I laughed every time I heard it.

9 Likes

that’s amazing. yea. when the law is hard hard hard on your side and the karens come complaining, it’s a nirvana situation. It is hard telling a normie how it is telling a karen to fuck off. it’s transcendent, life changing. everyone must experience it.

There are ways to get a “quiet” crossing where the train doesn’t need to use its horn unless they see a car or person etc on the track, but it requires special signals etc. I’m not sure who pays for that sort of stuff but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s the residents and/or municipality.

From my limited knowledge I can confirm. I used to live in a town with one quiet crossing and one not and I did some internet sleuthing to figure out what the difference was after I noticed the trains were only blasting their horns around my crossing. Found some news articles about the locals around the quiet intersection pestering the town council enough to get theirs changed. My crossing was in the poor neighborhood though so we got left out.

I have a relative who works for a transit authority and she gets messaged every time someone is killed by a train and it happens pretty often. I also talked to a train engineer who said he hit someone and he said they popped like a grape. It’s a traumatic thing and it happens a lot. I suspect most of the engineers want to blow the horn at crossings.

Still a horrifyingly irresponsible podcast

1 Like

Both that one and the HBO doc on the Atlanta child murders had me still believing the suspect committed the crimes, even if they are trying to frame it in a way that makes it not the case.

https://sd09.senate.ca.gov/sites/sd09.senate.ca.gov/files/e_alert/20220909_SD09_information_1031.htm

didn’t realize i was getting more free money

edit: oh shit maybe not, moved in 2020 will be close to see if i qualified. Will depend on if they count moving in July as 6 months.

In the winter of 1984, as she was at home reading, she heard a distinct voice inside her head. The voice told her, “Please don’t be afraid. I know it must be shocking for you to hear me speaking to you like this, but this is the easiest way I could think of. My friend and I used to work at the Children’s Hospital, Great Ormond Street, and we would like to help you.”

She returned to London and I saw her again at my outpatients clinic. By this time, the voices had given her an address to go to. Reluctantly, and just to reassure her that it was all in her mind, her husband took her by car to the address in question; it was the computerised tomography department of a large London hospital. As she arrived there, the voices told her to go in and ask to have a brain scan for two reasons—she had a tumour in her brain and her brain stem was inflamed. Because the voices had told her things in the past that had turned out to be true, AB believed them when they said that she had a tumour and was in a state of great distress when I saw her the next day.

Eventually, after some negotiation, the scan was done in April. The initial findings led to a repeat scan, with enhancement, in May, revealing a left posterior frontal parafalcine mass, which extended through the falx to the right side. It had all the appearances of a meningioma.

The consultant neurosurgeon to whom I referred AB noted the absence of headache or any other focal neurological deficits related to this mass, and discussed, with AB and her husband, the pros and cons of immediate operation as against waiting for symptoms to appear. In the end, it was agreed to proceed with an immediate operation. AB’s voices told her that they were fully in agreement with that decision.

AB later told me that when she recovered consciousness after the operation the voices told her, “We are pleased to have helped you. Goodbye.” There were no postoperative complications. The dosage of dexamethasone was halved every four days, and then it was stopped. She was on prophylactic anticonvulsants for six months. Antipsychotic medication was discontinued immediately after the operation, and there was no return of the hallucinatory voices or the delusions which she had expressed.

Medicine is fucking weird yo

2 Likes