2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

It’s broader than this. Religion is mostly about keeping the patriarchy in tact. All religions share this same central goal and most of their theological ideas are designed to ensure women remain subservient to men.

I haven’t made a single disingenuous statement in this conversation.

You seem to be under some amazing illusion that I enjoy sticking up for people in a place like this.

You guys are overthinking this. Just start with ‘sex is bad’ and everything else follows logically. If misogyny/patriarchy was the root there wouldn’t be hangups about homosexuality and masturbation.

1 Like

There’s literally nothing in the Bible that says abortion is wrong. It’s 100% about maintaining the patriarchy.

1 Like

I dunno what if they are just dumb?

I think zizak is right too. My reading of the history of religion suggest patriarchy was the root but it quickly mutated to anti-sex. This trait seems to take root in more complex societies and religions. It’s less of a feature of small-scale societies and religions.

You are sticking up for ideas, not people. Perhaps you didn’t understand the difference.

Do you guys really not see any problems at all with completely divorcing the act of sex with reproduction?

I’m not saying that’s what’s actually happening. But I can sure understand someone who devotes their life to raising their kids feeling that way. Especially people who live simply.

There’s really no need for insults.

Less than zero problems.

4 Likes

The difficulty in separating sex from reproduction is one of the reasons poor people have trouble getting out of poverty.

Why not just grow humans in test tubes then?

Ok. Clearly you are not interested in serious discussion. Carry on.

in fact - you could make a strong case that it has no problems with it/condones it.

I’m being serious. Based on the reasoning in this conversation, I don’t see any real difference.

Why would this be a problem?

If growing children in a test tube (i.e., an artificial incubator) were an option, I think a lot of couples would choose to do it that way, as opposed to enduring the ravages and potential risks of a human pregnancy.

I’m not saying I can articulate the differences, but definitely some of this, instinctively, feels very off.

Feels like it’s equating the process that we use to exist with every other sensory stimulation.

Are you suggesting that poor people have too many children because they are either ignorant or can’t afford birth control?

Yeah, I get that. But that opens way more doors for dystopian nightmares than anything we’ve discussed so far fmp.