2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

The article feels like a deadpan satire of either a NYT socialite profile or a ‘cancelled’ conservative intellectual or both. I mean glamor shots of her evening dress, mentioning the kind of dinnerware, talking about being an aspiring public intellectual with her writing a children’s book when she was a kid as proof, her thesis of slavery as a metaphor and saying that that’s daring, and then ending with her having a position at AEI.

I think it was the dude who had the position at AEI, but I can’t be arsed up to read that again and check.

I wrote a few children’s books … but not on purpose

- Steven Wright

1 Like

Are you a professor who fucked students and got caught?

No problem, just write an editorial or two railing against leftists on campus and you’re golden.

I thought maybe you guys were overselling it, but that article really is as horrible as imagined. It’s right up there with that WSJ cartoon about sad struggling families making $600,000, completely indistinguishable from parody.

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1543225479905382401

The cat made the jump (mostly)

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/KyleCoopah/status/1543087427094454272

What a shot

1 Like

She looks very dead and not at the same time

1 Like

Unfortunately we are already passed that point. Honestly I would accept that as a compromise if we weren’t already passed that point.

Petoskey area. Our cottage has the room to host everyone. But my dog is also basically my parents dog and has squatters rights.

Which yeah has me here, and making sure I wasn’t crazy

Same on all counts, small world. My grandparents had a cottage there when I was a kid and the whole family went every year, left it to their oldest son (dad’s brother), he’s still got that one and my parents got their own place a few years ago. I’ll be visiting again with this guy in a couple weeks (background should be familiar):

3 Likes

I feel like this doesn’t belong in parentheses? If your dog is running around attacking other dogs, then you’re the one who needs to be responsible for keeping all involved animals safe. It’s not reasonable for you to expect someone else to board their dog out of concern that your dog will go after it and get hurt.

3 Likes

Has anyone been to a Buc-ee’s? I stopped at one today for the first time and it was so unsettling. Like some final-form capitalist dream manifest.

I have not, but have heard of them and would never go inside such a place. I can’t even handle regular supermarkets in flyover country anymore. A few years back I went to an HEB when I was high. They had an entire aisle dedicated to oversized frozen lasagna, which brought on an hour long fit of existential despair.

4 Likes

I agree with this. My dog is awesome but just goes crazy at some (but not all) other dogs. That makes it my responsibility to keep her out of conflict. Chuck’s family dynamics (the squatter’s rights he refers to) are hard to judge from the outside, but in general if your dog is the aggressor I think it’s your problem.

Yeah the problem is the cottage is mostly owned by my parents, and parents already have small dog up there. If it was 100% my dog and the debate was taking my dog versus his dog I agree I should lose.

Manipulate your parents into telling sister-in-law her dog is not welcome.

2 Likes

idk, this seems pretty easy. it’s your parents’ dog, and it’s their cottage.

2 Likes

I think the problem is that the parents need to be the one to put their foot down. It’s different if chuck is the one issuing the ultimatum.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/ryanmarino/status/1543650674528903168?s=21&t=OM3hfhngMeSz3-9XgL8fkw

What if edibles are the cops’ secret weakness like how the one guy in The Boys has a nut allergy?

2 Likes