2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

white people are cooking again

https://twitter.com/spiketvviewer/status/1538682975793074177

5 Likes

seems like a stupid recipe all around. Why avocado oil (or coconut or olive oil) as opposed to any other cooking oil? Why sea salt instead of kosher?

that’s a meme in the cooking community i believe.

1 Like

Israel’s hybrid everything-but-Netanyahu government has finally collapsed after a year. Elections will probably be held around October and Netanyahu will try again to get 61 members to his ultra-right coalition unless one of the current Never-Bibi members cave.

Who’s the failure backfiring on primarily?

You mean who holds the “blame”? Mostly Bennet’s own party, the “fascists but not corrupted” right wing party. He had 3 members defect. On the other end of the spectrum there was an Arab member of the left wing party Meretz and another member of the the Arab party who decided they are no longer bounded to the coalition.

The opposition, led of course by Netanyahu, took a very extreme playbook of objecting every law or vote, regardless of ideology. That’s how the amazing scenario happened where the vote on continuing enforcing Israeli law on Israeli citizens within the occupied territories has failed. Israeli settlers, at least until a fix is reached, will not be able to vote in their towns because of that.

The legislation would curb attorneys’ fees and require insurance companies to explain in more detail their decisions on damage claims. Boyd also proposed giving insurance companies more access to a state-run Hurricane Catastrophe Fund.

I’m sure that will work out just fine. Lol. Cut attorneys fees and give insurance companies more money. Lol. They are almost as bad as the police. The solution is always give them more money with less reprocussions.

You should read The Swamp. Out state’s history is just one grift on top of another. It’s in our dna.

Also Israel’s new Prime Minister will be Yair Lapid, the centrist ex-tv star. Until the elections that is

1 Like

Notsureifserious

Those millennials love their avocados! Yuk, yuk, yuk!

Dunno what you mean, but i was kinda serious. some of their votes have caused their voters serious problems.
one of the top members of the party were caught on tape saying “we’re not gonna feel bad for soldiers, beaten wives, raped women or holocaust survivors, we’re gonna do anything to take this coalition down”.

people cared about that for like a day and then it was back to normal.

Idk that makes much difference really, but those oils have relatively strong flavors compared to say canola. Kosher and sea salt can be different in grain size and shape (and that can matter in how it sits on the surface and dissolves or not), but I think that depends more on the brand. I mean there’s no reason sea salt can’t be kosher afaik.

I’d like to see Bibi wriggle his way out of this jam.

2 Likes

I think all salt is kosher and kosher salt is just the form typically used in kosher butchering, or something like that.

1 Like

Idk the details but I think one condition is additives like iodine are omitted from kosher salt. But then again maybe that’s just typical and not required.

This. Kosher salt is used for “koshering” meat. It is not a term used in hebrew for example.

1 Like

"Kosher” may be more of a marketing term but

Certified kosher salt is mined, just like all other types of salt. The difference is that the mining, processing, and packaging happens under strict Jewish guidelines. This means that no additives or chemical elements are added to the salt that may go against the kosher tradition. Once the salt processing is done, a rabbi or a recognized Jewish institution vets the salt and certifies that it meets cultural requirements.

Some salt site

OK this is maybe a dumb question but why is iodine not allowed?

i would say that sounds very bullshit. as i said, kosher salt isn’t a term even used in hebrew. All salts are kosher and every kosher item is subject to getting a kosher stamp of approval, but that text is mainly meaningless.

(not a knock at you of course. I’m almost certain that text is wrong though)