2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

r/wewantplates is a quality subreffit

2 Likes

Kind of a miracle that I graduated from college.

I had a mental breakdown early on and never got any treatment for it. Just kept getting worse and worse. There were good times mixed in there but man was I a mess as an undergrad. Once I realized that I wasn’t gonna hack it in engineering, I was pretty much directionless and no real plans or desire for my future.

Was having all sorts of untreated anxiety and depression issues yet I did just enough to graduate. I mean I totally didn’t deserve it but I did get my diploma.

Only transferred through O’Hare but I didn’t remember it being too bad. Nothing remarkable but nowhere near as bad as JFK, LaGuardia, or LAX.

Generally speaking, American airports are the worst airports I’ve ever been to in my life. Flying to America from abroad is the worst travel experience I’ve had and I undergo it on a yearly basis by choice. Ugh.

I am so glad that I didn’t pour more resources in poker. It was fun for a while but man it seems like such a dead end profession for 99%+ of people.

I don’t fly on planes nearly as much as some of you, but it’s kinda weird that I don’t think I’ve ever been to JFK despite living in the northeast my entire life.

JFK primarily services flights over 1500 miles, so if you are in the Northeast you are likely to be flying in/through LGA unless you are making an international connection.

I was a terrible student in HS (2.9-3.1 weighted). I was the kid who’d get Cs in advanced classes.

I started at Oregon with 48 credits from AP tests and majored in economics. Outside of intermediate micro and macro and a summer of econometrics every single econ class was two pretty simple models that the midterm and final would largely walk you through (and you can be certain of this because every class has previous years’ tests available).

I graduated in three years. Lol Oregon. Lol BS in Economics.

I’ve never been to JFK or LGA. Anytime I’ve flown anywhere near NYC the cheapest flights always seem to be to/from EWR. Closer to home I’m typically using BDL (which is sad and grim even after long overdue renovations) after a stop in some hub somewhere.

I used to fly from LGA quite often. It was nice when the Delta shuttle used to fly out of the Marine terminal because you didn’t have to deal with the main part of the airport. It’s been more of a hassle ever since it got moved to terminal D, although the recent renovations have helped some.

I’m pretty sure you were there a couple years before me but I had a similar experience with a worse outcome. Had a 3.5 GPA after two years, passed the first actuarial exam in October of my junior year. Was a bonafide college dropout six months later. I was an absolute trainwreck until I was like 26-27.

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1517565776684896264

Fun science experiment to do with your kids. Just throw on a welding helmet and some thick wool blankets. Should be fine.

Much crazier version.

2 Likes

I’m reading the Wikipedia entry for the movie Return To Mayberry, as one does, and it is quite a trip.

I have a BS in Economics from Penn State and your description of the curriculum sounds eerily familiar.

1 Like

Meanwhile, former town drunk Otis Campbell (Hal Smith), now long sober and driving an ice cream truck, is serving customers near Myers Lake when he sees the “monster” pop out of the lake. Otis races to the courthouse to tell Barney. Despite Andy’s pleading with Barney to end his quest because people were laughing at him, Otis’ report convinces Barney to resume the hunt for the monster.

I have only been to JFK once but you had to physically leave one terminal and cross the street, get on a train that would take you to another terminal and there were lots of shady people around some were hustling shared rides. One of them wanted to help us carry our bags. Hard to get worse than that.

I remember my first trip to America I was like 18 or 19 and I’d bought a 3 month go anywhere greyhound ticket for like 500 bucks (which I literally used to travel thousands of miles such good value) I was at the port authority in new York looking for the right bus terminal to take my first trip (to Charleston I think) and someone saw my big bag and my glazed/confused look and was like hey how’s it going you want me to help you get to the right place? Naive, young, provincially English me was like ‘man people in New York sure are friendly’! We walked for maybe 5 mins got to the place and he said ‘give me 50’ which was like an appreciable percentage of my entire 3 month traveling budget. Things got pretty tense and I think I got away with giving him a 20 but that was lesson 1 for me. And a reasonably cheap one I guess.

3 Likes

When I stood with a confused look at the Tokyo central station, no idea where I needed to go, I was approached by someone who asked in English if he could help me. I asked him where I can find the train to wherever I was going. He said no problem, he can show me. Then he insisted on carrying my luggage, like really insisted. Little alarm bells went off in the back of my head but I thought I am a head taller than this middle aged guy. I am in my early twenties and fit. There is just no way he can run away with my heavy bag so I relented.
Tokyo central station is huge and we walked for a long, long while to get where he said I needed to go and he talked to me the whole time. Finally, we got to the right track and he handed me back my luggage. I thanked him profusely for helping me and he said no, no, no, it’s fine, he is just glad that he could help and that I gave him a chance to practice his English. Then he went his merry way. I thought to myself: okay, this country is different.

14 Likes

“The Japanese are suckers!” - Donald Trump, probably

5 Likes

I had something similar happen in Germany. When I was a kid on a trip with the family we were kind of lost. This nice old German couple actually told us how we could get there and then took the bus with us to the destination(I’m 99% sure it is not somewhere they were going anyway) . Once there, they showed us around a bit. It was about 30 min all together. Maybe retried old people have nothing better to do, but still, no one is that nice.

1 Like

I watched my dumb ass friend get robbed trying to buy weed in the Port Authority bus terminal despite me telling him he was being a dumb ass and he shouldn’t try to buy weed in the Port Authority bus terminal.

I got scammed for $100 a few years ago by some guy who claimed I broke his glasses. I felt pretty silly about it afterwards, but lesson learned.

Surprising that more states don’t have laws like this.