2022 LC Thread—New Year, New Thread

I just meant this isn’t needed for success in college. It’s pretty important in life. How our current atomized society does not encourage and foster friendships is an important, under discussed issue, that (incidentally) probably has a lot to do with MAGAism.

Anyway, there are things that can be done at any age to make and foster friendships, and online friendships, while “virtual”, are not insignificant.

I probably have four “real” friends, all from high school. It’s hard to maintain friendships when people have work and families. We used to live in tribes, and I assume that did the trick. If we ever get most economic issues figured out, we’re going to have to more deeply explore what makes people happy and refashion society to do a much better job at promoting that. AFAICT, what most often makes people happy (other than family, pets, engagement with a community) is applying themselves at challenging endeavors and succeeding a reasonable amount of the time. That and living according to some ethos. I mean, Aristotle probably solved this, at least for people living in city states in 350 BC (or certainly the stoics, in some significant measure).

I loved contest math in HS, got kind of bored with it when I was no longer learning things for that purpose.

Do you want those connections for what they are, or rather as a means to something else? Like do you want actual friends or do you want a useful social network? The answer is probably yes in either case, but you’d approach them differently.

It’s an absolute miracle I survived three units of calculus in university.

You all need to be on the lookout for Cosmic Crisp apples. They have been the highlight of my past few days… and I’ve had good days. Wow.

I think honeycrisp are a little better (I think cosmic crisp was somehow derived from honeycrisp…not sure what the correct term is).

Cosmic crisps are good and different. I think the first few times you have one, you might even think they are better. But once the novelty wears off, I think they’re just a notch below honeycrisp. It’s very close though, and if someone told me they liked the cosmic crisps better, I wouldn’t think it was that weird.

2 Likes

Everyone tends to lose these with time.

How many did you have while you were there?

My study habits we absolutely atrocious in high school and that just carried into college. I feel like I would have failed at a tougher school because I literally didn’t have the ability to study more than an hour or two a night - starting at 3am after Dobie Gillis on Nick at Nite.

But then again, if I had ritalin in college my life might be completely different. I might be a high-functioning office drone my whole 20s instead of only getting a real job at 29.

Right, I’m not saying that being around higher-achieving (in general) students was the cause of my failure to engage, but it wasn’t the solution either.

I think this is true for a lot of people, especially smart people. It’s not that hard to crush high school without “studying” much. I am not counting doing assigned homework that you need to turn in as “studying”, though (like what @Surf was saying).

1a 1b type deal. Both are elite.

1 Like

I wasn’t ready to engage until I matured, a lot.

I’m not saying it’s an infallible solution, I’m just saying it gives you a chance (which may, or as in your case, may not work out).

I’m also saying that it’s super unlikely to make things worse (although I suppose anything is possible).

Moreover, whether or not it was the cause of your failure was the issue at hand.

I do think that community college is a good middle ground for a lot of kids. It’s cheap, they can see what they like.

The only thing they’re missing out on is that freshman dorm all new life experience, which is more important for some kids than others. I am glad I had that personally. But then again all the kids on my floor did is drink shitty beer, fart and argue about the 1985 World Series.

1 Like

Especially with the UC backdoor, this seems like an extremely good way to go in CA.

I didn’t really keep in contact with anyone from HS when I went to college. My college friendships were centered around one extracurricular and I kind of lost all that after an incident where I may have come across as crazy. A year after college, I could have said I have no friends from HS or college.

I have severe trust issues and I’ve come a long way with being willing to meet people IRL after interacting with them here.

1 Like

meh. they kept better over the winter but taste wise i like last year’s crop of fuji better, and galas in general.

Fuji seem pretty bland to me. I make apple pie filling and have it for desert with some plain greek yogurt. Gotta have Granny Smith’s for that, though Golden Delicious would probably work. Honeycrisp are ok by themselves. Freshness is an issue; I think @zikzak is the expert on that. Never tried and not sure have seen Cosmic Crisps in stores.

Pink Ladies ftw

2 Likes

I think connections are helpful for most people going to college and the lack of them part of the explanation for why people drop out. When I dipped my toe into teaching I did an experiment pairing students with the only object being to get them to talk to each other so they could potentially help each other with class stuff. I don’t know if it was a great idea, but one couple started dating so it had some effect.