2021 California governor recall election

Recall is a yes/no vote. Second question is who should replace Newsome if recall succeeds. If No wins by 50.1%, then the candidate with the most votes on the second question wins.

Newsome is not a choice on the second question. So dems often don’t vote, or get scattered. Meanwhile most of the No votes, who are more motivated to vote, will pick Republican.

It’s basically the only way a Republican can get elected governor in CA.

2 Likes

A recall election was triggered due to republicans getting x amount of signatures. Upon that, a ballot with two questions is sent to voters. 1) should Gavin Newsom be recalled and replaced as Governon (yes or no) and 2. If Gavin Newsom is recalled and replaced who should be Governor in his place (Newsom is not eligible to be listed om this question, so there are roughly 40 options to choose. About 38 reps and 2 dems)

So why is a republican close?

Polling shows that amongat registered (not likely) voters, question 1 is 50% no, 47% yes. This is too close.

The dem party’s top priority is for a no vote on Q1, as it should be. Newsom won the largest percentage governor vote in CA ever. He has great poll numbers amongst dems, and hes presiding over one of the largest state surpluses in history. Their messaging has been all about the no vote. Throwing support behind a dem candidate on question 2 would take away from the messaging of a no vote on question 1.

3 Likes

So another Arnold is impossible?

Start petitioning for a recall immediately if a Republican wins.

Unfortunately Larry Elder looks like a Trumpian douche.

Well, I guess if it does happen, it seems like damage is limited unless Feinstein needs to be replaced.

Yeah, for sure.

What I meant was couldn’t a famous movie star moderate-ish republican just straight up win a standard gubernatorial election like Arnold did? That would seem to be another path for GOP governor (other than recall route).

Arnie won a recall election.

1 Like

Ah. I didn’t realize that. Maybe I was thinking of his re-election.

The Spanish text (toma de poder ~ power grab) is somewhat stronger than the English.

yeah, I thought it was an interesting choice.

1 Like

Really should just use the “power grab” wording in English also.

2 Likes

Im not a big fan of this Paffrath guy, but hes the obvious Q2 answer, right?

@skydiver8

1 Like

As an official representative of the CA Democratic Party, I will tell you to leave it blank.

In reality, it’s optional and really doesn’t matter, because if question one passes, then basic math says that some MAGAt is going to get the most votes on question 2. So follow your heart and do whatever you want with question 2.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/CA_120/status/1429877260178247696

2 Likes

This seems… good, right?

Reps only showing as 20% of total returned so far has to be fantastic news for the NO camp, even this early.

Obv there is some concerning numbers including low non white demo turnout and high elderly turnout, but I think on California the number of registered republicans returning ballots is a much more signifcant number.

If the vote on question 1 is about 50/50 and there are 38 republicans and 2 Dems on Question 2 this doesn’t make sense at all. If you just encourage people to choose a dem on question 2 that seems like it would go a long way towards avoiding a disaster (although not necessarily avoiding a disaster for Gavin).

Making an ounce of effort to find the ballot so I can vote for the guy that went to French Laundry during the pandemic?

Couldn’t be me

1 Like

Well that would be really fucking stupid. You’d end up with elder a governor and no covid restrictions. Solid work since you care about the pandemic so much

4 Likes

AND smug feelings of superiority over the shitlibs. Don’t forget that!

6 Likes