2020 Post-Election Thread

Yeah I’m surprised there hasn’t been more discussion here of this. The GOP has gerrymandered majorities in the state legislatures in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. They also hold the state houses in Arizona and Georgia. In the next year I expect them all to pass resolutions that the electoral votes are decided by a vote of the state house. Democrats will sue and SCOTUS will rule in favor of the GOP either 5-4 or 6-3.

This will lock in Republican presidential rule indefinitely, as they can do that in every red state about to turn blue and use the gerrymander to rule from the minority for a long time.

The only limit on their power will be pushing things so far that their own base realizes how fucked up this country is, and that’s not going to happen anytime soon obviously.

Unfortunately the Democrats have no real recourse on this one but to spend a shit load of money on those state legislature races to try to beat the gerrymander.

This dynamic will also bring increased chatter about secession from blue states.

God I miss Dvaut1

6 Likes

It’s essentially the conservative counter to the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.

1 Like

lol

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/PoliticalKiwi/status/1340806918147698689

2 Likes

Did they airlift a bunch of Trump votes the south of like the 29th parallel or something?

Huge spanish language disinformation campaign.

1 Like

Is there a link to read more about this?

https://www.lawfareblog.com/lawfare-podcast-no-one-expects-spanish-disinformation

2 Likes

The GOP making inroads in Hispanic communities is a frightening new development that totally blindsided the MSM.

1 Like

Election-y stuff that doesn’t contain the words c***, f**, or chickenf**ker:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing (and I only read the Cook one so far.) #26 in that article—without the gerrymandering lawsuits over the last four years (FL, VA, PA, NC), all else being equal, the Republicans take the House.

Biden carried 85 percent of counties with a Whole Foods Market and 32 percent of counties with a Cracker Barrel Old Country Store

That’s an oddly fascinating and disturbing metric.

4 Likes

Sure didn’t blindside anyone on this forum who watched Biden tell an immigration activist to vote for Trump, instead of actually addressing issues. Sure didn’t blindside anyone who was paying attention to Biden’s “outreach” campaign of hiring Ana Navarro instead of Chuck Rocha

Isn’t this just another way to say „city“ and „rural“?

Not really. They both tend to be located in the suburbs, but they are usually very different types of suburbs. Whole Foods tend to be in affluent, upper middle class 'burbs, while Cracker Barrels are more in the lower middle class areas.

There really aren’t any national chains with much of a presence in true rural areas, except maybe Dairy Queen for reasons I’ve never understood.

3 Likes

There is just one in my state, not uncoincidentally in the same city as this mess. Judge orders Lakeville, Minn. restaurant to close after violating COVID-19 order

Denny’s?

1 Like

But are they in the same county? And who won the county?

Only if you’ve never actually been to a rural area. Using Cracker Barrel as a stand-in for “poor rural area” is just classic Hillbilly Elegy bullshit.