2020 Post-Election Thread

also, what about the Senate?

I will certainly be interested in following the story about what is wrong w/ polling. It seems possible (likely?) that there are systemic issues underestimating GOP performance.

I think it’s more underestimating Trump and Florida. 2018 polls were pretty accurate other than Florida.

1 Like

There would seem to have been some pretty large misses in the Senate, but maybe I’m cherry-picking.

Grifters are a native species to FL. They consider it to be honest work basically.

Other than Florida and perhaps Indiana I think Senate misses were all pretty close.

Per 538, R’s won two (of the 3) Lean D seats in Florida and Indiana. Then toss-ups were split 1 each (MO and NV).

WV was closer than expected, but on the flip side Texas was closer than expected.

Is there an R senator in a state with a D governor that makes any sense? I guess the only way it would be worth it is if the GA runoff splits.

R Senators with D governors are something like Susan Collins, Ron Johnson, Pat Toomey, and the Senators from Louisiana and North Carolina.

It’s 2024, and your GOP candidate is…

Trump already discussing 2024 run – report

Donald Trump has already discussed a possible 2024 presidential campaign with some of his top advisers, according to Axios.

Axios reports:

This is the clearest indication yet that Trump understands he has lost the 2020 election to Joe Biden – even as the president continues to falsely insist that he is the true winner, that there has been election fraud and that his team will fight to the end in the courts …

Aides advising Republicans who are likely to run in 2024 are dreading the prospect of a Trump run given the extraordinary sway he holds over millions of GOP voters.

The US constitution limits presidents to two terms, but they do not need to be consecutive. The last president to serve non-consecutive terms was Grover Cleveland, who was elected in 1884 and 1892.

Speaking to Fox News Radio earlier today, Lindsey Graham said: “Grover Cleveland came back. Donald Trump should think about it, if he falls short.”

1 Like

So I know Ds “underperformed” state legislatures and such compared to 2018, and are disappointed.

But 2010, when the current districts were drawn, was such a shellacking up and down the ballot that I think that the 2020 redistricting as an aggregate will leave Ds no worse off and possibly better off than we are right now? Is that correct?

https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1325889706375188480?s=19

3 Likes

“I support Medicare for All. I won’t increase your taxes.”

1 Like

Well said, that’s what I’m getting at.

https://twitter.com/dpfdpf/status/1325639369219170305

They should really make her cast the 270th vote.

That’s not really how it works. The EC isn’t like the convention, they’re not all voting in one location at the same time.

The real problem with the Democratic establishment isn’t that they are closet Republicans. Calling them DINOs misunderstands the problem. They do generally have left-of-center values. They are not conservatives. The real problem is that they are technocrats with a vision of building an orderly society. A populist movement fueled by emotion creates the sort of social variance that scares them.

There’s a poker analogy in there, somewhere. The progressive wing of the Democratic Party shouldn’t be afraid of causing some internal chaos, is my point. Rile up enough people and the party establishment will be forced to go along as a matter of self-preservation in the same way that most Republicans can’t jump off the Trump train if they want to survive a primary.

3 Likes

This is absolutely how the takeover of the Democratic Party is going to look everyone. It’s going to be about these people fearing a primary and voting for progressive bills to try to retain the job. The next round of primaries really needs to be a bloodbath for establishment candidates… and then the challengers need to win their general elections at a solid clip. After that we won’t have to worry about needing 54 senators to get crazy watered down bills passed anymore.

1 Like