2020 Election Thread 3: Bernie Memes

If this ever happens going forward and Rs control congress that Dem will not be sworn in.

Good. Right?

Yeah great. Our Democracy had a good run. Iā€™ll be old and out of the country.

1 Like

In all fairness when we were taught about the electoral college in school at least one kid would raise their hand and ask why donā€™t we use the popular vote. The teacher would say it was there to prevent a demagogue from winning. So 2016 was supposed to be the moment for the electoral college to shine and prove its worth. But of course that was all bullshit, the electoral college is why we got a demagogue for president, and the teacher only said that because they didnā€™t want to admit our electoral system is garbage.

8 Likes

I believe that the protection of slavery was a motivation for a lot of things in the Constitution, but I think that they may have come up with the idea of an electoral college even if slavery didnā€™t matter. (But of course slavery mattered. Race relations is the single most important thread that binds together all of US history.)

The Articles of Confederation were clearly flawed with one vote per state, but smaller states didnā€™t want to give up all of their relative power like they would if we had proportional representation, hence the differing composition of the Senate and the House.

Instead, they fumbled their way towards a compromise which is formally called digressive proportionality, in which there is representation that is more proportional than equal representation but not 100% proportional. The most notable examples of digressive proportionality are the American electoral college, the German Bundesrat, and the European Parliament.

That slavery existed meant that the compromise was sought between slave and non-slave states. In the absence of slavery, some other compromise would probably have been sought along a different line of cleavage.

ā€¦Trump gets to make the decision to pull the plug or not. And he does it in a hospital on 5th avenue.

2 Likes

States having some power just because they are states and not in proportion to their population makes sense if and only if itā€™s a very weak federal government (like a confederation of states) and most of the governing is done at state and lower levels. Malta has 10 times as many EU Parliament members per capita as Germany. (still not as bad as the US Senate)

I can see the argument for a United States Government - I guess - but fuckers made Donald Trump President. You try to save Alabama from drowning and they just drag you under with them.

The Founding Fathers intended for state governments to be much stronger relative to the federal government than they are now. The idea of a Living Constitution, which I strongly support, has provided a framework for this liberal shift in the balance of power. See, for example, the incorporation of the Bill of Rights. The practicalities of modern life, where almost all commerce crosses state lines and people move about much more frequently, have made states unable to resist this shift.

But, for now, the idea of state sovereignty exists. The states gave up some of their power and sovereignty under the wretched Articles of Confederation to get something more mutually beneficial under the Constitution, but they didnā€™t give up everything and what they didnā€™t give up cannot simply be taken from them through legitimate means. For the states to agree to give up those last vestiges of sovereignty, we either need to offer them a deal so good that they canā€™t refuse (because we know they wonā€™t be altruistic about it) or we need to seize it from via civil war or the equivalent.

Slavery didnā€™t exist in a vacuum. Human beings are contentious and tribal. If we eliminated race, they would generally find something else to be at odds over. Even if the Founding Fathers were of a single mind about slavery, they would still have other grievances that required compromise. And regardless of their feelings about slavery, they

To point this out doesnā€™t mean that I am trying to whitewash slavery out of American history. I am quite capable of pointing out how fear of slave revolts were behind the Second Amendment or how slavery affected the way the Constitution considered taxation. You could say that I am lazy and would rather not write a treatise on all aspects of everything that I wish to write about.

1 Like

Yeah also, this. Iā€™m sorry, but just lol @ the argument that the founders couldnā€™t do a national popular vote because they didnā€™t have automobiles.

this is making the rounds in the derposphere, already seen it twice on social media and once in a chain email from my grandma

SHARINGā€¦

THIS explains it very clearly

From President Trumpā€™s ā€¦Atty. Jenna Ellisā€¦

Today, the electoral college votes will be sealed and sent by special carrier to Washington where they will remain sealed until January 6th when the House and Senate will come into a joint session to open the votes. The media is going to make you believe that itā€™s all over and Joe Biden is now officially presidentā€¦

On January 6th, Nancy Pelosi will sit down with the rest of the House members as she has no special power or authority over the hearingā€¦ Vice President Mike Pence will have all the authority as president of the Senate for that day and will accept or reject motions to decide the next steps by the assembly.

Rememberā€¦ Mike Pence is in full authority that day as written in the Constitution. The ballots will be certified today but that means nothingā€¦

The votes will be opened and at that point one House member could, and most likely will, raise their hand to object to the Vice President on the state of electorā€™s votes. That objection could cover fraud or any other reason, and with the seconding of that objection everything changes. Everything!!

The House and Senate will divide for two hours (at least) to debate, then vote. The vote will be per Senator with the Vice President being the deciding vote if needed in the Senate, while the vote in the House will be only be ONE vote per delegation, per state, not per House member!!! The Republicans have 30 delegation votes compared to the Democrats 20 delegation votes.

If this scenario runs true, President Trump gets re-elected.

The Democrats, the media, social networks and globalists around the world will come unhinged and chaos will erupt. Bigly.

President Trump is trying to do the right thing and go through the courts first, expose all the fraud, but we all knew that none of the courts, even the Supreme Court wanted to touch this issue with a 10-ft pole!

This is why our forefathers were so brilliant because they knew something like this could happen someday. So, donā€™t listen to the media and all their deception and lies. All you have to do is read the Constitution and you know that the law, policies and procedures in the end are on our side.

Tic Tocā€¦ Tic Tocā€¦ Looking forward to 4 more Trump Years!

2 Likes

yea Iā€™ve seen it on FB, the delusion is comical

I honestly dont know whatā€™s more disturbing to me, the fundamental misunderstanding about how any of this works, or the breathless fantasizing of the toppling of a democracy.

8 Likes

yea this part is lol, they were so brilliant they put in a way for them to steal the presidency from the rightful winner!

1 Like

Mitch McConnell congratulates Joe Biden for election win

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/12/15/politics-updates-biden-campaign-ossoff-warnock-georgia/3901724001/

2 Likes

Et tu, Turtle?

10 Likes

Yes. And besides the other ways this is wrong, there are currently more than enough Repub Senators who have already said that Biden won, so the assumption that all Republicans will vote for the BS and spin the world into ā€œchaosā€ is really a stretch.

MITCH MCCONNELL IS ANTIFA

6 Likes

Pretty surprised he didnā€™t wait till like Jan 6 after the runoffs. What does he gain by doing this, and couldnā€™t it potentially hurt them in the runoffs?

Like he could have just sat back and let the right wing derposphere do its thing and let the message become we must win the runoffs so Republican senate can toss out Bidens electors or w/e.

I mean they will still do that to some point but it wonā€™t have anywhere near the same impact with the GOP mostly conceding now. Plus this will piss off the Trumpers.

https://twitter.com/MostCrucified/status/1338853927668867073?s=20

4 Likes