Your Vote Counts! You Can't Complain if You Don't Vote!

They used to do that in several states here in the US. South Carolina until 2014 was the last holdout. AFAIK Alta California has never had such a terrible law. X wasn’t singing from personal experience in the Utoobz I linked above.

However… yes, they do have such a terrible law that covers Baja California. The Municipality of Tijuana used to whine like a stuck pig, because US tourists DGAF about BOL DEL PRESIDENTE DE MEXICO. They finally got an exemption for Front.

Aren’t you in sales like me? You’re acting like the only person with agency is the person receiving the message. If I intentionally say something designed to get a rise out of you, you have the option to resist… But that’d be a pretty shallow view of persuasion and communication’s. Give me enough information about the interior of someone else’s head and I can get them to do stuff. So can you.

1. There is a time and a place for this discussion. This might well be the place, but this is not the fucking time. Sabo pretty much admitted it when one of his choices on initial poll was

“The thread makes me mad. Really, really, really mad, a week before POTUS BOWL. But… I still promise not to troll ITT.”

I tried to copy and paste, but that just led me to vote for that choice, fine.

1. Fuck off man. That straight up showed you knew you were going to be trolling posting this at this time.
5 Likes

Yeah I mean the intent was really fucking obvious, he’s being a troll.

1 Like

On top of that I’ll answer you. If even just 25% of democratic voters sat out I would be fine declaring the election illegitimate. So what? Republicans would see that as a mandate to go fucking wild on all their awful shit.

1 Like

Disappointing because there should be a legitimate discussion on political abstentionism imo. I’m always curious about people’s reasoning. But I do agree that the American electoral system, especially when combined with the stakes/candidates in 2020, may not be the right basis of which to start said discussion.

Right like take it a step farther. The GOP loves to suppress votes and the Dems love to suppress primary votes.

Their absolute dream on both sides is everyone staying home and completely yielding power to the establishment.

Further if the left stayed home and the GOP got the trifecta, they’d kill Medicare and Medicaid and Social Security in no time. They’d go to a flat tax. They’d probably get another justice for Breyer and replace Thomas with a younger judge.

1 Like

That’s cool, maybe in like two weeks? Or early next year? Or any time next year? Or early in '22? Or any time in '23.

This is not only the worst week in our four year cycle for it, it’s the worst in most of our lives.

2 Likes

I agree, I wasn’t meaning to underemphasise the situation. As someone heavily invested in climate change concerns, Trump re-election (and full blown end of democracy in USA) would basically be GG earth let alone American society, safety, hope etc.

2 Likes

No one has yet explained how a niche thread on a niche forum could impact the result of the election in a week’s time.

2 Likes

I think our democracy is already borderline illegitimate given 40% abstention, gerrymandering, voter suppression, electoral college, etc. The way to make it more legitimate is to increase participation and fight for fair voter rights. Compulsory voting would be great. Don’t understand why you’d want to make it even less legitimate unless you’re only interested in revolution.

I don’t think I’ve missed an election in my eligible to vote life, but I’ll stop voting it’s compulsory.

AUer has mandatory voting. I was told even for non-citizens. The law isn’t enforced, and my ex-pat sister has never voted over decades.

However, she and my niece are US passport holders, and even though their votes here would be wholly illegitimate, I get IRL emails like this just yesterday…

Have you voted, or if not for yourself for me?

Now, I ain’t going to prison to pwn the Unstuck Centrists… but I could have “created” those two IRL votes for the stupid potato by legal GOTV-ing these AUers. I literally left that decision up to my fellow UnStuckers.

And… my fellow UnStuckers chose trolling instead. GJGE. SMH.

You must have missed the post at top. It’s called the Quantum Butterfly Effect. At some point things don’t need to be explaned. The fact is literally 25% or more of UnStuck regs literally believe it’s true. They are acting on those believes here in our community. And that trolling is spilling over into other threads (exs: here and here).

There is nothing inherently wrong with self-censorship. Less than 25% of UnStuck regs self-associate as black folk… and we still self-censor the n-word. Less than 25% of UnStuck regs self-identify as women… and we still self-censor the c-word. This is really no different.

Unlike what the trolls say, I’m not a monster. I hear the heart-felt anguish of my fellow UnStuckers. I suggest that, if say 10%, of our community feel any topic should be self-censored, we should do so, no questions asked. So… what fuckin’ next, another poll… but this time it’s a “We’re all outta here” poll…

I literally believe in the Quantum Butterfly Effect.
  • Nuke this thread from orbit (8 vote minimum).
0 voters
1 Like

Maybe it’s bad for the mental health of everyone reading? I don’t see any downside to waiting a week before starting a thread to discourage voting.

1 Like

How come my display doesn’t have a bell thingy.

Good question but wrong thread.

We have common ground since we both perceive the current state of the electoral process as at least borderline illegitimate because of the things you mentioned.

I think it would be odd for anyone to only be interested in revolution. Personally, my goals and dreams are based upon a desire for peace, love and solidarity amongst people, other living creatures, and our earthly environment. Because I consider aspects of the system that we live in to be partly or wholly opposed to those goals, my desire is to cooperatively find ways to improve our condition–a better world is possible.

For all of my life, we’ve been told we have freedom to vote. And like many us, I’ve voted many times. I’m sure most of us have seen or heard the South Park epsidode where the options on the ballot are: shit sandwich vs douchebag. Well, that’s what’s been on the ballot our entire lives. If we went out to eat and that’s what’s on the menu every time, eventually we may need consider that we are not in a legitimate restaurant. Even if the entire country is for the time being stuck eating there-a better restaurant is possible.:grinning:

IMO, the reason we are left with these choices between shit sandwiches and douche bags, is not because the system is broken, it’s because it was designed this way. We can attempt to change aspects of the system by using the system against itself, but I see no reason to strictly confine ourselves to finding solutions within social contructs created by our masters. Which is why I see value in chatting about this topic.

1 Like

You can vote in the post just 1 up from here to make this happen.

2 Likes