World Cup 2022: Congrats to Argentina and the GOAT (WATCH THIS GAME, BEST GAME EVER)

If the women count:

2 Likes

Itā€™s not all strategy. Most teams in these situatioons instinctively look to preserve leads even when the +EV play is to carry on as they were.

Mangers always complain about how hard it is to change this mentality.

You should watch more games.

Yeah that game was INCREDIBLE. And that cross from Rapinoe was :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:.

Whenever my girlfriend starts talking a little shit about how many World Cups the Brazil men have won and how we havenā€™t, I just pull that video up on YouTube.

^^^

THAAAT

2 Likes

Agreed, USA probably attacked more than the vast majority of teams as it was. They were still sending quite a few bodies forward in the 70th minute. Most teams wouldā€™ve at least told their FBs to stop going forward.

Iran looked mostly toothless vs. the USA 5-man backline, probably the only way they were gonna score is the USA getting caught out and countered.

1 Like

now you are thinking

This guy disagrees

1 Like

I dunno, they had a couple opportunities. The other frustrating thing is that from maybe the 80th minute on, in the rare moments the US got possession in the attacking half, they didnā€™t seem interested in taking it to the corner or in trying to attack. But maybe ā€œableā€ is a better word for it than interested, given who was on the pitch.

https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/1597697781015404544

3 Likes

It was more down to personnel than anything else. Moore and Musah couldnā€™t really complete passes, Haji Wright looked like he didnā€™t care. If there had been some decent subs available then the USA can play defense and prob still convert one of those chances on the counter.

I havenā€™t seen Netherlands play since probably 2010 when they lost the final to Spain. They were just absolutely stacked offensively. Do they play a similar style these days or has the makeup changed? Obviously the guys from that team are long gone.

Man, thatā€™s so incredibly sad.

1 Like

Subs are usually made from 60/65 mins or so because sports scientists have measured fitness levels as dropping off significantly after that.

I donā€™t know anything about the US coach but itā€™s probably not his fault if he didnā€™t have good enough subs.

Enough of America, do England have another joke schedule to the final?

What do you think of:

Am I wildly off or does that make sense? I like to pick up as much soccer knowledge as I can even though itā€™s never going to crack my top five sports.

(Iā€™m more than a casual World Cup only soccer fan but I watch ~no club soccer. I mostly watch the USMNT and USWNT in all their meaningful games and in the mensā€™ case all the WC qualifiers, if I travel to a country with high level soccer I try to see a club game in person, and 10-12 years ago my roommates were huge Everton fans so I saw a handful of EPL games.)

That final was notoriously dire and marred by two Dutch MF running around cynically fouling most of the game, predictably.

It was one of the ā€œleast Dutchā€ teams Iā€™ve ever seen but I won a nice lay against Spain winning in 90 mins.

No, Slated to face France in the quarters if all goes as expected. Goodbye England.

1 Like

Youā€™re the underdogs

:vince1: