World Cup 2022: Congrats to Argentina and the GOAT (WATCH THIS GAME, BEST GAME EVER)

It would be absolutely huge if Canada/USA could get into the next Copa.

Only having really big games every 4 years and you get maybe 1 or 2 games to “prove” yourself is a lot.

For Canada/USA, getting a game vs Argentina or Brazil would be huge and even beating a Uruguay, Colombia, Peru level team is nice.

1 Like

Jesus and Telles also out for the tournament. Not starters, but both could have conceivably come on if they needed a goal.

Any possibility of having a New World tourney where the whole hemisphere competes? Would be pretty cool.

Probably not because the federations want to make money and it has to come through them.

Surprised Gomez is playing over Di Maria.

Are they just resting Di Maria a bit?

I wouldn’t credit Holland’s great finishing skills as much as their movement plus US defensive lapses. Like all three goals involved losing track of and not marking an open Dutch player striding into the middle of the box.

Morocco or Japan.

Either unlikely to win.

Coming into the tourney arg/bra were the 2 favorites

Despite that, the winner being from Europe was 1.50, SA was 2.20

1 Like

Under 2 xG seems farcical for how open the Dutch looks were.

3 Likes

Some models do defender positioning, shooter under pressure etc but most don’t.

Players drifting late into the box is known to be a big problem for defences to deal with.

Some players, like Ramsey and Lampard, honed their runs to a tee for this reason.

1 Like

My head says this, but my gut says they will make a game of it.

Fwiw I don’t think Ned get by Arg.

Yeah the xG under/over performance would tell you how good a team is at finishing and how good they are at getting quality chances.

Its a reallllly small sample though.

Germany had the most shots this tournament in the group stage, without looking it up they likely under performed quite a bit.

1 Like

Yeah, that last goal had to be like 0.9 all by itself.

he’s injured

Everything is like 75% lower than you think. An open goal from there is not even .90

Really? I guess I need to read more about this xG business.

pretty torn about rooting for brazil. but pele is on palliative care right now. what a story it would be if he watched them win it.

:sob:

What is xG? How is it calculated? | StatsBomb | Data Champions(xG,scale%20between%200%20and%201.

These guys provide data analytics to most PL teams. They’re the best