World Cup 2022: Congrats to Argentina and the GOAT (WATCH THIS GAME, BEST GAME EVER)

It’s just super frustrating to know this team has the talent if used properly to have a chance and then see Berhalter mash the Ferreira button and be like, “Giovanni who?”

Imagine all the experience Reyna could have had this year for 2026.

Not sure I can handle the hot takes

My Dad knows nothing about soccer and I have a feeling he’d still get the right change here. He’d be like, “Striker, they’re supposed to score? OK, hey who on this team wants to shoot?” First guy who raised his hand would take Ferreira.

If this was Brazil or France, you’d just tip your cap and say GJGE. Netherlands has been pretty shit and this match was definitely winnable.

3 Likes

I mean this US team wasn’t going anywhere in this WC anyways but I do agree getting young guys experience should have been the goal. Bringing 35 year old Tim Ream serves 0 purpose for the longer term goals of the USNT.

I’m still convinced that a major reason Eng made it to the SF in 1990 was because Bobby Robson already knew it was his last as manager. and could afford to take risks.

1 Like

I feel better about Biden shipping in '24 than US even drawing level at any point.

Ream can really play and should be there, but in general I agree. My hopes were get out of the group, get a game in the knockout round, play top competition, and get the young guys who will be key in 2026 experience. We did most of that, but the lack of playing time for Reyna stings. If fit he needed to get 60+ minutes per game, if not at least 25-30 per game.

If the USA goes out scoring 0 here they will have scored the same amount as Canada/Mexico and won the same amount of games as Mexico.

Other than some good performances from Adams (who is at fault for goal 1 here), I’m genuinely surprised by the optimism from this tournament.

Worst Gregg nightmare is bringing Reyna on and he scores twice but Netherlands win 3-2. It would be obvious he’s just mashing buttons then. He’ll prob only give him 15 minutes.

They played in one of the easiest groups to advance from probably also. Wales was legitimately one of the worst teams in the entire tournament with Iran not far behind.

7 Likes

It seems a bunch of the optimism is that the USA has had more possession and control/field tilt than past iterations. Are they playing better, more modern football? Sure.

Are they playing to the strengths of their squad? No.

Oh ffs

that was free and didn’t get it rip

I remember whiffing a few playing AYSO in the 80s like that. It happens, no big deal.

jfc what the fuck was that shot? lol

Missed the corner flag by 5 yards on the wrong side.

1 Like

It bounced off his thigh which he didn’t know much about and then he could only get a toe to it as it ran away from him

We can’t run on the ass end of xG variance and win this. We need some fluke OG please

USA just sending balls into VVD is funny