Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

lol stox

https://twitter.com/charliebilello/status/1224705956258418690?s=21

That’s an intentionally dishonest take. Not saying that TSLA isn’t grossly overvalued because it is… but there are worse companies out there valuation wise. It’s the first viable electric car company. That’s worth a lot. Not 161B obviously, but again there are tons of worse situations out there.

I’d never short Tesla but this is completely out of hand. $160 billion market cap is more than GM, Ford and Honda combined.

Totally agreed.

I never understand what I’m suppose to think about these regular “x is so over-valued” stories. The only people getting hurt are rich. It’s rich people betting on who is the dumbest and last to hold the bag. They are gambling. Why should I care? Just don’t invest your money just like you wouldn’t put it all on black eight.

Imagine what GM, Ford, or Honda’s market cap would be if they also controlled like 90% of the world’s oil and gas stations. Tesla’s cars are nice but the batteries and superchargers are what give them a huge edge over everybody else.

1 Like

There are a lot of middle class people who shorted Tesla because of stories about how overvalued it was. There are also a lot of middle class people who buy stuff like Tesla because it’s going to the moon.

Meanwhile the rich people buy shares of companies that make parts for airplanes with stable dividend yields and big moats.

Personally I’m probably done with financial products until I’ve maxed out the number of real world investment vehicles I can personally manage. You can buy a small-mid size business for 3x earnings because someone is retiring. Meanwhile they want 20x earnings right now for below average stocks.

I’m nowhere near rich enough to deploy my capital with implied yields like that.

I suspect you’re in the same boat with a consulting business. You should probably reinvest your excess earnings into your business unless you’ve already scaled as hard as possible.

There are plenty of regular joes buying Tesla stock.

Shorting stock is not something most middle class people are doing.

Not most definitely… but not none. Reddit - Dive into anything

There are even people over at Bogleheads insisting Tesla is a “game changer” because they drove one and it’s great. I mean, come on.

Maybe they do somehow become a consistently profitable company. But the current valuation assumes they will do so on a massive scale and is basically impossible to defend with any kind of reasonable financial analysis.

1 Like

To play devils advocate see Amazon.

How is it “intentionally dishonest” iyo?

There has to be something to justify that kind of market cap besides just feels. Some kind of number you can point to and say, “Hey look, never mind net profit, these guys are still in a good position and worth investing in.” Cash flows are one of those things. Companies can limp along nicely for years with insane losses if they have the cash flows necessary to keep the vendors and employees paid and the lights on (like Amazon). Tesla appears to have neither. And “it’s the first ‘viable’ electric car company” definitely reads like a feel. How do we know it’s viable long term other than “Wow will you look at that market cap?”

No… there doesn’t. Most market caps are like 85% feels lol.

I know it’s crazy but it’s absolutely true. Company valuations are like 15% fundamentals and 85% feelings about that company and the market generally.

Right. Again, it’s possible Tesla ends up being a trillion dollar company. I’d argue a dozen factors that differentiate it from Amazon and make that highly unlikely but it really doesn’t matter. I would just say that in general you want to bet against highly leveraged, unprofitable, cash incinerating firms in capital intensive industries with questionable sustainable competitive advantage, that are highly sensitive to economic cycles, that Joe Blow investor is buying at any price.

I mean, maybe you are right and it lives up to the hype one day. I hope it does fwiw. But as an investment advisor or fund manager or whatever I would be hesitant to put my clients’ money into something which looks at a glance to be doing well based on (irrational?) exuberance while it is losing money hand over fist and hemorrhaging cash to boot.

Because it intentionally took a ten year view, which in Tesla’s case is a lot of building of factories and incurring massive expenses to create the business it now has. Meanwhile 10 years ago Nike was a world dominating shoe brand.

Tesla’s current valuation is entirely about the last quarter, maybe two and what those quarters mean about the next ten years.

Obviously I’m on team ‘Tesla is hilariously lolwtfbbq overvalued’… I’m a value investor who hates the idea of paying more than ten times earnings for anything. But that doesn’t mean that comparing its last ten years vs Nike is a good faith effort at analysis.

A lot of the Tesla valuation is (I believe… I haven’t studied it because it’s in no danger whatsoever of being something I’d invest short or long) based on the fact that they’ve recently stopped the bleeding and are starting to turn a modest profit.

BS,

I know you have car dealership experience - it absolutely blows my mind you can buy a profitable auto dealership for like 4x earnings. With leverage a 50%+ return on equity is like the base case scenario! I have absolutely zero idea why these big dealer groups don’t go public, and why prices are so low (I get you need a good manager but this shouldn’t be that hard to find, just give them a little equity).

It’s actually a nightmare. Car dealerships are a license to print money or an open pit trash fire that eats cash at a terrifying pace.

It’s also entirely dependent on the management and managing the dealership is not easy. I worked for a dealership group in San Antonio whose owner was a former GM whose real gift was picking and nurturing talented managers… and he basically would insta buy a dealership when he thought he had a guy who could run it well. He eventually flamed out completely and the whole thing basically collapsed.

It’s a really weird space whose best years are far behind it. Nobody knows when the music will stop, but it’s looking like soon honestly. I quit in 2006 and I’ve never regretted it. It was the first leg of my career and I learned a lot… but seriously it was the right call.

When I sold cars selling 15 a month made you a success who made 75k+. Now the number is 7-10 and many of the salespeople aren’t even on commission.