Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

Absolutely agree with this post. When I was house-hunting, I would go to the county property appraiser’s Web site and sometimes entire blocks would show the same “Thusandsuch Real Estate Holdings LLC” as the owner. House flippers are also back with a vengeance down here since the crash, which can be a big problem depending on your perspective. (Some call them saviors, especially themselves)

And I have nfi why some of them just sit on the properties and do nothing with them, seemingly to the detriment of their own portfolios, but it does happen even now, years after the crisis passed. Anecdotally, there are two bank-owned houses on my own street. They’re not sale-ready, but they’re not falling apart, either. Someone is by every couple of weeks to mow the grass and trim the bushes but that’s about it. I feel confident that someone would buy these properties and 100% certain they’d be rented if they were only on the market, butnahhh. Nearly four years since I moved in and nothing, not for sale, not for rent, just sitting there doing nothing for anyone.

1 Like

Power point from lolrealtors on Florida residential real estate activity

If that is to be believed, Chinese buyers only account for 5% of the market; however, that is an increase from 1% back in 09.

Back around '88-'90 we were all fearful the Japanese were going to purchase the entire country.

1 Like

My school district added Japanese as a foreign language option my sophomore year for I assume this reason. Now I think they’re back to just Spanish and French.

I don’t know if you need to limit it to foreign investors, just the super wealthy and, like, REITs.

Latin American investment is a significant factor in the south Florida housing market, I believe, also.

Unless you are on the west coast of Florida, then it’s all LoLhio and other midwesterners.

A vacation home is a bit different from a vacant investment property. I would be pretty confident that vacation homes are rarely rented as primary residences during the offseason and probably do consume supply.

A college roommate of mine was very sure of this and I think he moved to Japan after graduating.

just in time for the lost decade

Someone should start squatting. Maybe NAs (Seminoles right?) should squat all the vacant property in FL. Not really even squatting…reclaiming.

2 Likes
5 Likes

meanwhile, in what barr is doing while nobody’s paying attention. I’ll let some law bro tell me how horrible this is.

the title of it is
“Attorney General William P. Barr Announces the Establishment of the Presidential Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice”

1 Like

https://twitter.com/glennbeck/status/1221970476148326403?s=20

1 Like

So, uh… Who wants to tell Glenn

2 Likes

Weird experience: There was a Playboy magazine among the reading material at the ENT clinic I went to this morning.

Nice change of pace from the typical magazines that invade doctor’s offices but nobody was shameless enough to actually read it.

Was it one from the brief period where they decided to remove nudity from the magazine?

I didn’t open it but the cover didn’t have a nude woman on it

Jeez and I thought auto body shops were the final frontier for those mags in waiting rooms.

When I was a kid barbershop visits were a way to casually cast an eye over page 3 of certain UK newspapers, just to stay abreast of current events.

5 Likes