Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

The whole thing sounds horrific :frowning:

Are you still based in Wuhan? Apologies if you have already discussed this in the virus thread.

How was the bullet train??? Did you look outside and see the Wolverine battling ninjas?

I lived in Wuhan for a year and a half (2011-2012).

The bullet train was fast. There weren’t any standing room tickets sold. I had to buy it like 2 weeks in advance and at a markup due to the holiday season.

1 Like

Travelling on the trains here is brilliant, a table for 4,fits 6 for poker :rofl: A few beers and it’s better on an old train where the door windows roll down for some fast fresh air when you need to sober up.

Perks is the travel dolly, the grumpy asshole in the corner and the fish who get to join us sharks playing. :rofl:

Florida’s GOP admin is fighting tooth and nail to keep the restrictions in place here as well.

That’s brilliant. I would kill to play poker on a long train ride with a bunch of Unstuckers or just random strangers. Half of us would be drunk/passed out, and the other half would be complaining the train needs to slow down so the game can last a little longer. And there would be some weirdo in the corner complaining that no one is responding to his posts instead of joining us at the poker table.

Honestly, if you could play poker in coach with the other coach fish, the whole trip would go a lot faster.

2 Likes

This meme seems really enduring, and the few times I used the gimmick on the intermediary site seemed to get good responses. I think it might actually be fun to open the account up to well-known regulars so that a bunch of us can use it. Cleared it with zikzak, so game on.

PM me if you want access to the account. You must be a well-known reg and also worthy of using the account. “Well-known reg” and “worthiness” will be determined in my absolute discretion, decisions not subject to review or appeal. It will be considered very poor form to change the avatar or anything like that, just use it as it’s intended. Hit me up and I’ll send qualified applicants the details, most likely over the weekend.

8 Likes

I’ve traveled a lot by train and there’s huge variance depending on which country you’re in, how far you’re going, what train you’re on, and what class you’re in. Long haul in the US can be annoying because Amtrak doesn’t own the tracks, freight has priority, and being many hours late as a result is common.

Long haul without a sleeper cabin or at least a bunk blows imo.

1 Like

What has given you occasion to travel by train so often?

As I’ve become older, I’ve been more willing to pay extra for a bunk or cabin on long trips.

In my 20s, I was comfortable in a hard plastic chair on a 11 hour train ride from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

1 Like

Yea I loved the train system in Japan, both inside cities and city-to-city. Just so clean, timely, fast. Once you get a handle on the complexity of the system (so many lines!) it’s an easy way to get around.

1 Like

One problem in the US is no public transit. For most people to take the bullet train from Fresno to Bakersfield - would involve paying for parking (unless it’s free) on one end and taking a cab or Uber on the other end (unless someone picks them up). Or they could just drive for the same cost and time.

SF to LA if it ever happens makes a ton more sense from the traveler POV though. LA to Vegas makes infinite sense but no one is interested in that for some reason.

A few of the US long hauls were just for the sake of doing it. Most of the rest just because I prefer it and it’s often the best way to get around in much of the world.

1 Like

So much this.

Prague’s system is timely, cheap, and easily accessible from anywhere in the city.

It amazes that American cities just haven’t caught on yet.

Brightline is currently building a Vegas to LA line

Sweet!

Except looks like it ends in Victorville which is way the hell outside of LA. I wonder if there’s another train that gets you into Union Station. My house to Victorville is 3-4 hours on a bad day.

There were no qualified applicants

13 Likes

Nonzero probability that the All-In-Flynn account is run by the simulation programmers.

3 Likes

^All these Johnny-come-latelys trying to curry ‘worthy’ status smdh.

1 Like

This probably isn’t the place to raise this issue, but I’m pretty opposed to the Unstuck twitter account taking sides in the Dem primary process:

https://twitter.com/unstuckpolitics/status/1228075097992372231

8 Likes