Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

You just know some Juicero techbro who dropped out of engineering school walked into the DNC’s office and was like “What if the Iowa caucus, but with APPS?” and Tom Perez signed off on it without checking with any IT people first.

1 Like

I misread your post.

Well there’s been a lot of it over the years but general verbal attacks on immigrants and support of far right white supremacist groups covers it.

This, by one of our best comedians (a Smiths fan)…

1 Like

Okay, thanks. Your post prompted some googling and I turned this up:

Now I know I guess. Too bad, I like the music.

2 Likes

Haha, KPOO is legendary. And I’m glad you found live version. It’s stunning. I think I debated sumitting that one but went with the recording because it more clearly fit in the category? '70s? Who know what I was thinking.

Man I’ve read a ton of Auster though. But it’s been a while. The best of his most recent stuff, I thought, was Oracle Night. Have you read that?

I recently made an appointment for an annual(ish) physical with my Dr. The first available date was Feb. 28. The appointment time is 10:10, because they are apparently working with tight windows. This is with Kaiser, know as one of the best healthcare orgs. Is this better than Canada or the UK?

Also, are they short on Drs? My understanding is that Drs are not one of the more costly elements of the healthcare system.

" simplicitusPatron

Sep '19

People short Tesla a lot, but I would not mess with that. Elon isn’t dumb and it has some great products. There are many wounded animals out there and it’s easier to bum hunt than to try to take down Johnny Chan."

2 Likes

I’ve never waited more than a day or two to see my GP.

https://twitter.com/jewishaction/status/1222676176449220614

3 Likes

Joy level: negligible

You mean the Panasonic batteries? And probably at least 90% of electric car charging occurs at home.

The gigafactories for the batteries are joint owned by Panasonic and Tesla. Charging at home is a problem when you want to travel and then have to hunt down a compatible charger and wait however long it takes to charge up for the next leg of the trip, superchargers are much closer to being able to fill up and go.

I have a buddy who was in the car biz for over 20 years and got out right before the crash and never looked back. He said the Internet ruined the game, everyone who walks into the lot knows exactly what a car is worth practically to the penny and wouldn’t pay any more than that so there was no money to be made.

I’m pretty sure they just transitioned to bending people over in the finance office. It’s downright painful.

2 Likes

I nearly walked from the Mazda dealership when I bought my last ride over that shit. Fuck your undercoating and fuck your shitty 3 year 36k mi warranty unless I pay more

I threatened to throw a Toyota sales manager through his office window after he insulted my wife as we were wrapping up a purchase for a 4Runner. We walked, but wound up coming back the next day after they begged us to, gave us the trade-in value we were negotiating for ($200) and let us keep the car. I wound up donating it and taking the deduction.

1 Like

Supercharging is cool and all (and not unique to Tesla and hardly any barrier to entry as electricity is ubiquitous), but what’s interesting is how very much more convenient charging at home generally is than ever going to a gas station. Dunno what the typical solution for people will be in years to come, but a small electric car that you charge at home and renting something for that occasional trip to Las Vegas seems pretty good for a lot of people.

wtf? What did he say?

Namath is right about the internet ruining sales margins and I had seen the invoice going in and knew to the penny what they had in it. Dude kept telling us he was losing money and I told him I knew what he paid, I know what I’m offering, and you’re absolutely making money, so stop with that bullshit. He said it again and my wife said “I really wish you’d stop saying that” and he replied “Yeah? Well I don’t care what you wish for”. I stood up and walked behind his desk and pointed at the floor to ceiling window and said “You speak to my wife that way again and I’ll pick you up and throw you through this window. You know what, fuck it. There’s a million of these cars out there–I don’t need this one”. Then we left and the saleswoman was stunned. She probably went in there and said “Get them back or I’m going to the owner, you stupid asshole”.

Edit: Woman owned business

5 Likes

Reminds me of all those gambling frauds on the internet who claim they win a lot and all those pictures of expensive shit I figured they actually didn’t own but usually when they get sued it turns out they somehow got millions from someone just giving to them as “investments in their winning bets”.

No wonder there’s so many fraudsters, it’s easier, and man can people accumulate giant piles of wealth despite being dumb as shit.

Under President Trump, US immigration authorities have pushed for extraordinary privileges and increased secrecy from the public.

On Friday, the Trump administration quietly designated the entire Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency, which polices US borders, as a “Security Agency,” according to an internal memo obtained by The Nation . This follows repeated attempts by federal immigration authorities to dramatically expand their reach in recent years.