Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

I want to go back to SF and see what it’s like compared to when I was there in the late 90s.

But that article I posted made it look a lot worse. https://archive.ph/GY6w5

Jessica said she doesn’t even get high from fentanyl anymore, but it helps with an intense pain in her left leg that she has refused to let doctors examine because she hates hospitals. She keeps the wound, which smells rancid and oozes pus, wrapped in dirty bandages.

Jessica had mostly lived on the streets for years but was staying at the Monarch, a shelter-in-place hotel on Geary Street, during the pandemic. Free room. Free food. Free drug paraphernalia. She just needed money to buy drugs, she said, and she openly acknowledged she gets that money by swiping goods from Target and reselling them.

The Monarch is one of 25 hotels used by the city during the pandemic to house homeless people. Still, the city seems to have mostly missed the opportunity to coax people living in the hotels and addicted to drugs into treatment. Of the roughly 4,000 people who lived in the hotels at any point in the pandemic, just 10 — one quarter of 1% — moved into residential drug treatment programs, according to a spokesperson for the Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing.

Department of Public Health outreach teams made contact with 1,500 people living in the hotels during the pandemic, and nearly half of them were connected to mental health care, drug treatment or medical care, but there’s no data on the outcomes, said Angelica Almeida, director of street-based and justice-involved behavioral health services for the city’s Department of Public Health.

Jessica said her life might seem hard, but it’s actually pretty carefree, and she offered a sweeping explanation of one reason why her mom would face such long odds trying to pull her out of San Francisco.

“The city is way too easy for people with nothing to get by,” she said. “That’s why I’m still here nine years later. You get by with doing drugs and suffer no consequences. I like it here.”

I’m all for progressive programs if they work. But you’re not going to convince me that just giving addicts money and a safe space to do drugs is the best course of action. It has nothing to do with punishing the addicts, just not enabling them.

Adam runs a controversial, in-your-face Twitter account called @bettersoma that shows the city’s drug crisis close up, angering some advocates who say he is insensitive and exploits homeless people. He argues that the tweets depict a reality that City Hall politicians and homeless advocates are unwilling to face. A recovering alcoholic himself, he said he wants more police presence, incarceration for dealers and far more treatment for people addicted to drugs. He doesn’t think the city’s focus on harm reduction is working.

While his online persona can be edgy, Adam is engaged in the lives of homeless individuals and posts videos of them sharing their stories. He gives them free sandwiches, money, odd jobs and a listening ear.

I would bet a lot of money that Adam has a lot more compassion for homeless addicts than the people who just throw money at the problem and never live it up close.

Also it seems like smoking crack in the open is ok now? If true that is just never going to fly with residents long term. Something has to give.

I knew some street kids when I lived there. They weren’t mentally ill, they just would rather be on the streets in SF than in an apartment in Cleveland. Which is fine. But giving them a stipend seems like it’s going a little far.

But again - that’s what I want to go back and see for myself. I lived in Nob Hill and walked through the Tenderloin all the time. I have a reference point to compare it to.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s hard to tell from still pictures. The Tenderloin had homeless people but nothing like the density of say skid row in LA. And during the day it was fairly functional - people going about their business. Those photos make it look like a war zone.

1 Like

Totally agree that Target just doesn’t care.

I don’t think - go after the dealers and get treatment for the addicts = bring back the war on drugs.

If “harm reduction” means it’s ok to shoot up and smoke crack in public - that’s just ugly as hell. Maybe that’s something you just have to live with. And yeah it’s the Tenderloin. But people still live there. It’s one of the only remotely affordable places in the city. If I was a resident used to the usual level of squalor, and then it multiplied to open drug use in the streets, I wouldn’t like that at all.

At some point you have to balance the needs of the regular neighborhood residents with the needs of the addicts, right?

I bet if you dropped a bunch of addicts in the middle of Pacific Heights they’d be gone in half an hour.

1 Like

Same.

I thought I knew who Cheryl Hines was, and it turns out I do, she’s just not the person I first thought of (whose name escapes me). I also know Robert Kennedy is an antivax guy so I’m claiming partial credit here.

1 Like

I took a walk down the Reperbahn about 10 years ago and it was really tame, and pretty lame too. It doesn’t deserve its reputation, or a visit.

The stuff I see in US cities now is starting to remind me of how things were in the 80’s. Like people are aghast at videos of Philly’s Kensington Ave., but I remember when most cities had huge areas like that. I see all the homeless encampments in LA and am reminded of when you could take a northbound train out of NYC and see full blown shanty towns lining the tracks in Harlem and Washington Heights.

1 Like

How so? They’re probably incredibly high risk if they get Covid. Seems logical to me.

I didn’t change channels away from local news fast enough so now I know a student at a local HS was arrested for making threats and taking a gun to school. At another school, some “dud explosives” were found. These incidents appear unrelated to the TikTok stuff though. Just coincidence.

this was my tenderloin tr posted oct 2019

I walked the tenderloin district after going to mikkeller bar and was offered weed every block and saw homeless people drinking and doing drugs everywhere and felt totally safe. When I left mikkeller there was a small group of guys shooting dice or something across the street and when I walked back an hour later some of them were getting arrested

white guy spends vacation walking around sf drunk on drugs while seeing black people arrested for doing the same thing

1 Like

Fuckin Australia, man

man counting those must suck

4 Likes

Ewwwww the preview box rotates through multiple creepy ass pictures of it.

1 Like

Amazon seems really fucked right now. I ordered a piece of luggage from these guys: Amazon.com Seller Profile: PORTMANTOS which I was hoping to get before I leave for Kansas City on Monday.

I specifically ordered the suitcase with the shortest estimated shipping time. And it supposedly just got pickled up today at a UPS store in San Francisco.

Reading the feedback, it seems like the tracking number is getting fucked up A LOT. Which has me wondering if this is just some kind of “put the wrong tracking number” semi-scam and then it gets delivered in a month or whatever after we fix the oopsie.

I ordered something else that cost $15. It was late and now it “may be lost”. I can either hope it shows up, or ask for a refund. I wonder if the scam here is just assume a lot of people will forget and won’t ask for the refund.

I even tried to go to a mall to buy a suitcase and the only store they had was some fancy brand that costs $600. Like wtf. I bought my current (but finally falling apart after 20 years of service) suitcase at the Denver airport for $200. I don’t see any other luggage stores in my area. I just want another good $200 suitcase. Why is that impossible to find IRL? Should I go to Target?

Edit: looks like Kohl’s is a good bet. Should be fun on a Saturday before Christmas. Yay.

1 Like

Bed Bath & Beyond? TJ Maxx? Costco or Sam’s if you have a membership?

Definitely Target or Walmart. Try to order online for curbside pickup. Then you won’t have to go into the store. Target curbside pickup is awesome. I do almost all my grocery shopping that way.

It’s possible that there is no better way to deal with addicts than the compassionate way that they are being dealt with in SF, and 100% of the effort should go to attacking the social determinants of drug abuse.

When you have a world that prioritizes the interests of billionaires you end up with social problems. People that actually know what they’re talking about recognize drug addiction as a mental health problem, and that society wide health problems need to be met with a combination of treatment and prevention.

1 Like

This is where we got the luggage we have. It’s lasted a long time; no complaints.

If you can get it on time all my luggage has been purchased on sale at amazon. However he probably can’t get it on time at this point

Both my parents were drug addicts and moms worked at a state funded recovery center for like 20 years. It worked really well, but not when it was mandatory. The person had to have hit their bottom and had to have wanted help. Once they want that those places help.

Ive heard good things about ayuhausca helping people quit really addictive drugs.

1 Like

But in practice this has historically been done by treating drug abuse as a crime instead of as a health problem. It doesn’t end well. Cops aren’t even good being cops, they’re even worse at being health care service providers. If this worked, we could also have cops arrest people for eating fast food to solve the obesity epidemic. Addiction is rarely solved with plan force.

1 Like

Massive social spending on things that lift people out of conditions that are known determinants of bad health outcomes. There is no political will to do it, but that’s the solution. Like I mentioned before, the root cause is American political machinery is primarily concerned with the welfare of billionaires and the welfare of the upper middle class is an important secondary concern. The disastrous situation of America’s poor is not an accident, it’s part of the design of the society. The only reason that the conditions in SF are getting attention at all is that SF has lots of rich people and they find the drug addicts to be a distasteful eyesore on their beloved city.

4 Likes