Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

Is there an “LOL FoxNews thread”? Not sure why I do this to myself, but I’m endlessly fascinated by the priorities and framing decisions made by the website editors. This is apparently the most important thing going on in the world right now:

There’s so much going on in this “story”. Just amazing that FoxNews continues to pretend to be a legitimate outlet of credible news.

Then right below, Fox is suddenly very concerned about former presidents saying things “without evidence”!

obama

1 Like

Its been 25 years since I went to a theme park, but when I did I saw many young couples dressed up in matching outfits. I was on acid and this freaked me out quite a bit and I have never considered going back to one.

4 Likes

Funny how different people handle acid. Knotts Scary Farm on acid for me was just the best. Laughing at all the silly monsters and riding supreme scream non stop despite being absolutely terrified of heights and likely never would have done it sober.

3 Likes

I’ve had a couple debates with people on this board about Julius Cesar and his intentions. Popular reformer or just straight up tyrant. Thought this was a pretty good video breaking it down

haven’t used uber in like 3 years, been using lyft before covid and basically haven’t used even that since covid. Uber account got hacked (2FA wasn’t even an option last time I used it) and they basically tried spending $10k on uber eats stuff. Amex of course instantly denied the charges before even contacting me, and the account got instalocked. The good news, my account was linked to my marriott account, so I got like 20k marriott points and instant uber diamond status.

16 Likes

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1452415832944959494

Yikes, and also totally unsurprising.

1 Like

lol, of all the places for this woman to end up:

But Elysa Bucci, the official who took the complaint, didn’t seem interested, Axley recalled. Bucci was a lead investigator with Liberty University’s equity office

Instead of considering her evidence, Axley said, Bucci started throwing questions at her: Why had Axley gone to the party? What had she had to drink? How much? “I immediately felt judged,” remembered Axley. (Bucci, who is now a Title IX investigator at Baylor University, declined to comment.)

3 Likes

I’ve always been fascinated by the finances of people in the entertainment industry. Not like, how much does The Rock make per movie, but instead moderately successful people who we’d probably recognize but who aren’t superstars.

Like, suppose you’re Alison Becker, who played the reporter Shauna Malwae-Tweep in 14 episodes of Parks & Recreation. Or more famous, Mo Collins, who played Joan Callamezzo on Parks & Recreation and Starla on Arrested Development, but who has worked consistently on a bunch of TV and movies (although single-episode type appearances). Are you earning $100k a year? $1 million a year? $10 million a year? And how variable is that income? I have no idea, but I really want to know.

What brought this to mind recently is an interview with Larry Thomas, who played The Soup Nazi on Seinfeld. In a recent interview, he said he earned something like $2,000-$3,500 for the original episode, and that same amount twice more when it aired in prime time. But then, if I remember correctly, he said he earned around $20,000 per year in residuals for several years. Can that possibly be true? (He also said he earns six figures per year from all of his fan service/appearances.)

I guess no amount would truly surprise me, since I have no idea what these economics look like. But I never would have guessed that a bit character could earn so much money for so long in residuals.

Edit: @LFS, drop some knowledge, please!

1 Like

Back in the day (when I worked at WME, one of the two major agencies), if your show hit syndication you were golden. We had a client on NCIS who had something like 7 points (7% ownership in the show), which was worth roughly $50 million, and that was 10-15 years ago. No idea how it works with streaming.

I’ve often wondered the same. I think whatthejish in OOT either works in or knows the industry quite well. He might have some insights.

Wait what do you do again?

Are you telling me you didn’t experience Riverman being in the entertainment industry, and therefore getting access to Kevin B’s Vegas Knights script? (What the hell have I done with my life that I remember this nonsense?)

2 Likes

Being one of the most famous bit characters on one of the most heavily replayed shows of all time seems like a bit of an outlier ad far as bit characters go

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1452682233945395207?s=20

2 Likes

Probably yes - that’s what I’m trying to find out!

Some piece of trivia that stuck with me was that the average wage of an actor in LA was like $40,000 and working actors, that’s actors that got spots on TV episodes, made something between 50 and 150 thousand dollars depending on how work they got in a year. I think it read it in the New York Times a few years ago but I can’t find it.

I wonder if @dlk9s can chime in as well? IIRC he has done some work as an extra and may know about that end of the scale

No real idea how much work-a-day actors make. I think a “day player,” meaning someone who gets in a show or film and has like one line, makes low four figures for that job, at least here in Atlanta. Might be $1,000, $2,000, not really sure, only kind of heard rumors.

Extra work pays shit. I hear it’s much better in Hollywood, as I think extras are union. In Atlanta, the pay has generally been garbage, though I will say that since COVID, rates have gone up and in some cases significantly.

When I started (I haven’t done any BG extra work since March 2020, btw), typical pay was $64/8, which means you are guaranteed $64 for the day and if you go over 8 hours, you get time and a half (they don’t count lunch in your hours, so you’d have to go past 8.5-9 hours to get overtime). Obviously, that’s jack shit. Sometimes you’d see $72/8 or maybe $80-$100/10. The latter is worse because it takes longer to get to OT, but on the flip side, you are guaranteed more if the day is short.

Now I’ve been seeing minimum $88/8 with lots of things into the $100s. Some specialty roles are going as high as like $350/10 (or $350/12, don’t recall). I even saw one where they were looking for core prisoner extras who would be there for the duration of the show/movie AND they were required to quarantine in a hotel. The pay was like $150ish a day PLUS $50 per diem PLUS like another $100 or something per day to quarantine. Also get paid nowadays to do COVID testing.

Kids always get paid more than adults, though they can only do 10 hours max.

The most I ever got paid was maybe $280 or so before taxes for one of my days on Walking Dead in 2017. I got paid a higher rate because I was all done up as a “hero” walker. Then I got an extra $50 for getting killed. Then we went way into overtime, so I got a bunch of bonus pay.

But back to original point, I really don’t know what actors make. Certainly a lot more than extras if they have fairly steady work. Anyone who does extra work for the money is in bad shape financially, or is my son who wanted to buy an Oculus Quest.

7 Likes

By the way, also coincidentally saw that interview recently with the Soup Nazi and thought it was interesting. There’s also an interview - I think by the same guy - with Jodie Sweetin from Full House. She said when she was largely out of the business until Fuller House came along, she just lived a normal, single, working mom life and would definitely have times where she was watching her spending. Point was that people think she must be rich because she was on TV, but she was far from it.

I knew a guy who did a lot of extra work in Hollywood. I think it was like $125/day. His big score was getting to be a dead person’s ass on some cop show. Because there was nudity he made double or something. But he did have to lay in a field with his ass sticking up for hours.

2 Likes