Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

Most of us have been trying to bring down the drama level in here because lots of good posters have been leaving in disgust, so maybe this is not a great idea.

3 Likes

Maybe. My theory is that the self ban actually helped. Much like Trumpers who say that if you call them racist idiots, then that just makes them want to vote for Trump even more. I think everyone piling on him constantly just made him hold more tightly to his most odious positions. Once that stopped happening on a daily basis, he probably had a chance to evaluate things in a less adversarial way.

It’s just a guess. Who knows? Everyone mostly agrees that ikes 2.0 > ikes 1.0. The only difference of opinion is the number of >s.

People can and do change. I would hate to be judged by the worst of my posts on 22 from 15 years ago, and I bet you wouldn’t like it, either. If it’s part of telling a story consistent with something current, then maybe it’s relevant, but we can also grant people that what they thought and how they behaved a decade ago isn’t the same as we are now, especially if we flew under the radar for a while, and especially if the reason we got found out isn’t for the same sort of posting.

1 Like

I’m confident a sampling of your worst posts from 15 years ago on 22 would leave you with very little to be ashamed of. If you were a raging misogynist or something, I definitely missed it.

Also with ikes, people aren’t really picking on his “worst” stuff. Just his average, typical 22 posts.

jfc go smoke a joint or something. People get into fights and have a beer after. Y’all holding dumb grudges from a forum a decade ago.

4 Likes

I feel like this problem would be solved if someone could just link DIB to a couple of the threads where this already took place. I’d do it, but I’m shit when it comes to the unstuck search function.

FWIW my intention to briefly relive some Ikes drama wasn’t to needle him, was just something I thought we could collectively laugh about, Ikes included. Figure enough time has passed that we could all chuckle about most of that shit at this point.

Seems I missed the nostalgic walk through it all whenever it was that he re-emerged here, so guess I missed the boat. So it goes. Is there a thread or something I can peak at to see what it was folks brought up? I’m sure most of it I’ve forgotten and I’d enjoy 10 minutes spent briefly remembering!

I’m sure I have some patriarchal material out there, probably some anti-lgbtq stuff, too. I don’t remember when exactly trans rights became something of a pet issue of mine, but I’d bet I have some casual slur drops out there from a while back, like the one that’s like slang for a transmission. Anti-sex-work for sure. Maybe some casual denials that racism is all that bad these days? I’m not perfect, only trying to get better, and I bet all of us have some problematic material out there, although perhaps for a lot of us our slur dropping days were in our teens before we were posting them on the internet for anyone to read.

5 Likes

Yeah, your timing is just bad.

Part of the problem is that not everyone got the memo at the same time.

So someone would have the “Oh shit, that’s ikes” revelation and do more or less what you did (but more hostile). Then a few weeks later, someone else who missed the first discusson, would go “Oh shit, that’s ikes” and do it again. Repeat that a couple more times and that’s where we are now.

As a forum, no, we are not at that point. Almost all references to his past material have been in a fashion that’s weaponized against him for the purpose of fomenting forum feuds here. So, I can respect the naivety of your position if you can respect why people are a little testy about bringing it up here.

I don’t really want to link you to these dramabombs, because there’s a lot of lengthy ugliness that, quite frankly, I would at least hope you wouldn’t want to read.

1 Like

That reminds me of a recent exchange I saw on 22 (not politards) where someone used that slang because he just thought it was an acceptable, neutral term. He claimed to just not know. It was explained to him that wasn’t the case and then I’m pretty sure he stopped using it (although his overall point was still anti-trans). And that was just within the last year.

Yeah, that will definitely make it less appealing.

1 Like

Totally, and I’d even go further by recognizing that my 22 reputation precedes me a bit here and there definitely was a time I’d use this as an opportunity to rile up some controversy / drama / etc. So fully understand why I’d not get any benefit of the doubt in this case.

But yeah, truthfully just wanted to chuckle while remembering the old bullshit. I get why my strolling in here was responded to how it was, seems I’m far from the first person to have this experience lol. Just carry on with whatever you all were doing, though before doing so if there is a thread or some easy way to link me to what I’m looking for it’d be much appreciated. If not it’s no biggy.

Seems I was crafting the above while you were still finishing your edits. No need to link to dramabombs then I guess, but if I’m being honest with self / you I’d 100% enjoy reading them. Would just make me LOL a little which I could use about now.

My ugliest most intolerant self was definitely around 16 years old. Parents thought it was a great idea to send me to an all boys catholic school where “gay” was the go-to descriptor for all things bad. Just extremely socially toxic environment, lots of misogynistic, racist, socially aggressive, wholly unhealthy behavior being casually hand-waved away on the regular by caretaking adults as “boys being boys”.

Don’t send your kids to a high school where everyone’s male, everyone’s christian, most everyone’s white, and everyone’s either straight or too afraid to do anything but pretend to be straight. I truly DGAF how many kids graduate and go on to Ivy League schools or whatever metrics folks point to in defense of these places.

This fascinating inner monologue is too important to get buried in the LC thread. You should start a dedicated thread so we can read it with no distractions.

1 Like

swift

ef8

5 Likes

I used to be a Christian conservative. I’m sure some shit can be dug up that can make me look awful.

2 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bickering about old drama