Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

Best business class for me was my first. I used my miles to upgrade on a United London to LA flight. They compete with Virgin and British Airways, who were really laying it on thick at the time.

Woah.

Charlie Watts has died, aged 80.

for transatlantic travel, US airlines have not made many changes at all for covid. In business class, I think US airlines are a bit ahead with better seats (what the industry nerds call “hard product”) though some routes still have last-gen seats, while EU-based airlines will generally be a little ahead with soft product (food, wine etc).

I’m a little dude so not an issue for me. Although I do find BC more comfortable, I actually find the improved overall airport experience just as valuable. Not sure if this is just an Air Canada thing but you get to skip a bunch of lines. I basically get to the airport much closer to flight time, and its more comfortable once I’m there. And especially for shorter trips with just carry on, walking off the plane immediately after landing is a nice perk. By the time the flight is over I just want to get in a cab and get to where I’m going.

No. Sorry, likely just a trick of memory. I found a course description for what is probably the current version of the course. It was an intermediate microeconomics class. Calculus is a prerequisite but nothing more.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

1 Like

Not the gabagool!

5 Likes

I’m somehow still on a job list for personal assistant type jobs for mega rich people in LA. A sample is below, just take their fucking money away please.

ESTATE MANAGER - EAST LA
Salary up to 200K plus Benefits
MUST be Los Angeles based — REALLY prefer nearby to EAST LA

Busy family with school aged kids based in Los Angeles, is seeking an experienced, professional, organized and detail oriented full-time Estate Manager to maintain 2 residences – East LA and Beachfront. General schedule, Monday – Friday, 9am – 6pm, with flexibility to work evenings and weekends when family has events or other reasons. Estate Manager is responsible for overseeing the general operation of the 2 residences, managing domestic staff in a positive and warm environment, and managing construction and maintenance and managing external vendors. Ideal candidate will have had “ocean front” experience, not a dealbreaker.

Responsibilities

• Weekly walk through of local residences to ensure that all systems are functioning properly
  • Managing the 2 busy homes
  • Scheduling home maintenance and repair work along with supervising projects
  • Act as the owners representative for renovations with contractors and designers
  • Maintain household manuals/checklists for for ongoing tasks to be completed
  • Maintain contacts lists that include family members, vendors, contractors, etc.
  • Maintain an inventory of household supplies and assist with restocking as needed
  • Hiring and managing domestic employees for residences and supervising the quality of their performance
  • Coordinate staff schedules to ensure adequate coverage at all times based on principals’ needs
  • Maintain security systems at all residences and check/test on a regular basis
  • Managing household schedules and calendars
  • Assist in event planning, organizing, coordination and flawless execution day of event
  • Purchase gifts; develop and maintain gift tracker, review and audit receipts
  • Work with travel agents, event planners, and business manager as needed
  • Handling household bills and administrative duties (Business Manager will assist with these responsibilities)
  • Manage household petty cash, proper documentation and submission of house credit card purchases/receipts
  • Running errands, manage household staff to pickup dry cleaning, prescriptions, or other errands and performing any necessary tasks
  • House projects and handling things around the residences (e.g., receiving deliveries, organizational projects, answering phone calls, sending emails, etc.)
  • Maintain vehicles, take for service appointments and keep accurate records of services completed
  • Provide hospitality and attend to guests and family’s needs when visiting
  • Schedule personal appointments (very limited)
  • Plan and coordinate children and family activities and events (very limited)
  • Qualifications
  • Bachelor’s degree is preferable but not deal breaker
  • Contractors license or significant construction management experience
  • 3-5+ years of consistent and recent domestic experience as a full-time estate manager overseeing multiple * residences
  • 3-4 references from domestic positions
  • Spanish language skills not required but a plus
  • Seeking longevity/long term commitment (e.g., 5+ years)
  • Live a close proximity to family’s main residence
  • Ability to complete background checks and motor vehicle checks (clean driving record)
  • Safe vehicle for transportation

I eat probably too much gabagool (it makes an elite sandwich with olive tapenade) but my one try love is mortadella. Mmmmmm, Italian sandwich meats. Wait, what were we talking about?

https://twitter.com/_steez25/status/1429962330771795972

You can tell I’m having a productive day. Some nasty wipeouts in that thread.

This one is mindblowing:

https://twitter.com/tosin_theo/status/1430178318226231306

That seems like a lot to do for 1 person…how long does it take to drive between those 2 houses with LA traffic? Probably spend half your time in the car

7 Likes

While this is obviously awful, the raw numbers are pretty mild.

https://twitter.com/roadmn/status/1430265128298196993?s=21

i feel like there’s probably a lot of overlap between fucker and shannity, and the rest. whereas i can’t imagine any liberal binging chris hayes, rachel, and then staying on for o’donnel/williams. we are all news junkies, and i don’t think we would devote even 10 minutes total to cnn/msnbc.

Their best stories involve one of the Stones getting punched in the face. RIP

https://twitter.com/matt_hattersley/status/1430209920658558976?s=20

4 Likes

A lot of people watching FOX are either doing it ironically or hatewatching it.

Edit: bag is on its way! Nevermind!

On the travel note–does anyone have advice for how to deal with a lost bag?

We flew back from Europe yesterday, Barcelona to DC by way of Frankfurt. We booked through United but our first flight was Lufthansa.

One of our checked bags arrived in DC, the other didn’t. United said it still appeared to be in Barcelona, so in Lufthansa’s hands we assume. Called back again today to check in using United’s automated menu and just got “our team is still looking for your bag.” Not a very helpful update.

This would be a pretty big loss for us, both in terms of dollars (girlfriend’s wardrobe, expensive skin care and makeup products) and memories (basically all the souvenirs we’d bought on the trip for our “travel shelf”).

We booked with my CSR, so there’s some sort of travel or lost bag insurance, but I haven’t dug into that yet because we just want the damn bag back.

Any advice?

For now, just wait a couple of days. They frequently turn up.

2 Likes

Looks like antifa reads this thread and took my advice. Right wing nuttter opened fire in Portland and antifa guy shot back.

Nobody hurt. Nazi arrested and antifa man escaped and his friends removed his she’ll casings.

Nazi who literally shot at a crowd charged with like improper discharging of firearm llolololol

I’m 100% on lost bag recoveries. It sometimes takes days, but normally they find it and get it to you. If you have to lose a bag, the best time is when you’re at home so it’s much easier to get by with without whatever you packed. If they truly lose your bag, I think the most that the airline can pay you is about 3K (might be more for international). But I have no idea how to get them to pay out on that, since I’ve never had a permanent bag loss.

I think it will come to you within a week.

2 Likes