Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

“Tonight there’s gonna be a jail break, somewhere in this town”.

1 Like

You guys gotta read this. It’s out of date now but it’s solid gold.

1 Like

Haha. Yep. Eye of the storm seems to be headed directly over. Spent the afternoon moving anything not tied down inside. This should be interesting.

This is the horse racing version of when the bull gores the matador

https://twitter.com/kysportsradio/status/1429173697277988877?s=21

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/hassankhan/status/1429179363283509250

Shit. Hurricane conditions just missing home.

His observation about introductory courses is perfectly accurate ime.

I’m further inland so I’m not as worried about the wind. It’s the 4-8 inches of rain with lakes and rivers already running a bit high from what has been a very wet summer that makes me nervous.

Meh, if the “formal and hard math” in Physics 101 was too overwhelming, Nate wasn’t going to get far in a physics program, no matter how much they might try to focus on conceptual understanding.

2 Likes

Yeah, seriously this.

1 Like

I guess it does read that way but it’s not the math that’s alienating.

Eta ok, maybe for some, but it’s not at the top of the list.

Heartbreaking.

On the one hand I want to suggest that if he thought the math in first year physics was hard it was probably just because he didn’t take calculus first or maybe not even concurrently, but on the other hand I want to make fun of econ majors.

1 Like

Same, I’m guessing you’re in the ‘S’ in MA, while I’m currently in the ‘D’ in NH. The flood control dams should prevent major river flooding in NH. You are probably in the Hudson or Connecticut watersheds, not sure whether those have extensive damming.

That hurricane that hit Vermont a bunch of years ago dropped like 18" of rain and caused lots of small rivers to flood, taking out tons of historic covered bridges.

This seems improbable.

What kid who is good at math (which apparently Nate was) hasn’t had calculus in high school?

And even if that happened, what calculus-based physics course would not require calculus as a prerequisite.

So, I think you’re very safe in your pursuit of making fun of econ majors. Have at it.

Prerequisites aren’t going to be waived very often because gatekeeping is a primary purpose of the intro classes. And they are effective at that. The majority of students drop or fail those classes. They are trying to be alienating-- that’s a good word for it.

What’s the deal with econ that they deserve more scorn than anybody else?

There is nothing wrong with econ per se. But everyone I know who thought about doing science/engineering and then thought, “Wow this is hard”, ultimately ended up majoring in econ.

That is what I was getting at, but all in good fun more or less. One of my brothers and one of my best friends did econ and I did math. They both could have done math if they wanted to/liked it enough.

Econ definitely has a lot of people who felt that they got as far in math as they wanted, but kinda ironically as a math student a lot of people in econ or anthro or whatever would ask for help with the math that they did and I generally found it pretty hard. I think that’s because things get very complicated, but you aren’t given enough info to really understand it.

1 Like

Most recent projection swung east by quite a bit, blasting right through Rhode Island and into Worcester. Good news for me (and the NY metro area) if that holds. Not so good news for all the yachts in Narraganset Bay.

1 Like

Fingers crossed for a DeVos yacht in the crosshairs.