Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

IF it gets cold usually it’s not the refrigerant. Can buy some and try it’s not expensive.

Stops working as in stops blowing cold air and only blows hot air or as in stops blowing any air?

only blows hot air, i should have detailed.

Sounds like it is running for office.

sjvjO

8 Likes

If your A/C flip-flops from hot to cold and back again, your expansion valve could be failing. The expansion valve distributes the proper amount of refrigerant to your evaporator. If the valve is blocked, the refrigerant flow could be restricted or could be too unrestricted.

A slight restriction of refrigerant flow can cause that mechanical part/hardware to get very cold. So cold, in fact, that frost or ice can build on the outside of that part/hardware. A buildup of frost or ice can make the operation even worse inside the system. The result? Your A/C blows warm air. A large restriction of refrigerant will also result in your A/C blowing warm air.

3 Likes

Also,

What causes intermittent cold air from my AC?

As with any auto repair issue, there can be a number of culprits that cause problems for you, but intermittent cold air is usually the result of one of a few things. The most common issue that we see roll into our shop when the car AC is cold and then hot in Chino, CA is that the evaporator has not been functioning as it should. What this means is that the evaporator in your car can ice over, which means it won’t work properly. If it’s covered in ice, it won’t be able to cool the air entering your car, which causes the entire problem.

What causes an iced-over evaporator?

Since an iced-over evaporator is the most common issue we deal with, we’ve been able to narrow typical repairs down to a few usual suspects. A dirty cabin air filter could be causing the problem, since air that’s not entering cleanly will cause the AC to not work at peak efficiency. A car AC that’s intermittently cold in Chino, CA can also be due to a blocked evaporator drain or an overcharged system—a freezing problem can also usually be identified by customers if there are puddles of water under the car.

Even though changing cabin air filters didn’t help, it could still be something simple to do with restricted airflow past the evaporator (this is a small radiator-looking thing inside the cabin) as described above. Like it could just be dirty. Unfortunately, they can be hard to get at.

If it’s not something simple… well, I’ve rebuilt my car’s AC only to have it fail after one summer so I have enough experience to say you probably don’t want to mess with it yourself. You can save a lot of money but it’s a messy job and you’ll have to do a lot of research and buy equipment, replacement parts, and supplies. Don’t go cheap if you need a new compressor (my mistake). If you are adventurous, you can get a good start with this guy’s videos. They aren’t slickly produced but I think he explains things fairly well.

2 Likes

oh i’m def not going to do anything myself i can barely change a light bulb.
i just wanted to have some clue when the repairmen say things that cost a lot of money to me.

chico is only 2 hours from me, maybe i’ll drive to those guys. if only the AC worked.

Sometimes intermittent stuff like that is a loose or leaky vacuum hose.

1 Like

Ah. Well it sounds like the place you took it to was at least looking at the right things and tried the simplest possible fix first. Those cabin air filters tend to be surprisingly expensive, so they probably didn’t overcharge you either, so that’s good.

1 Like

Does it always start out working, even in the hot part of the day, and then stop working after some period of time?

Yeah (it doesn’t always stop working. usually it doesn’t. alot of times it has ‘hiccups’ where it kinda works not as strong for a bit and then heroically recovers)

Sounds like moisture in the system and needs flushing and checking for any leaks, but I’m more of a google guy than a car guy, so that’s what I get from searching just now.

1 Like

Apparently, Twitter is not a fan of me being explicitly pro-white genocide.

I got this from using an Oculus Go just a few times. Would bet they are completely FOS stating this problem only exists for Quest 2 and for 0.01% of users after checking a few forums.

More problems with Teslas Autopilot

Insufficient testing imo

I’m sad that some of you youngs will never know how wonderful it was to be a kid in the 70s.

12 Likes

That’s some lung cancer for ya!

Most of the slices have a nickle under them, but if you’re really luck you’ll get a quarter

My relatives used to have us taste beer and laugh at our faces.

2 Likes

The suit doesn’t mention potentially corroborating evidence, but claims the girl had just turned 12 when Dylan began “grooming” her. The suit alleges that multiple episodes of abuse occurred at Dylan’s apartment at the famed Manhattan landmark, Hotel Chelsea, in April and May 1965.