Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

Traditional-sentence-diagram-example

2 Likes

Yup. What do they call them?

Sentence diagrams

1 Like

Also, not sure if they gave their kids vegetables or gave kids their fresh vegetables. Just random kids yeah? I kid. Mostly. The extended line between farmers and gave but not between gave and vegetables and the extended line down from gave has me wondering.

My 8th grade self would punch me in the face today and not just for my golf game

I hated those things.

1 Like

Or:

Farmers gave their kids vegetables fresh. (instead of rotten) I remember nothing about the flow of that tree lmao.

this is wrong English I suspect.

I still remember our English teacher using “Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother’s house we go.” to show us to find the verb first

1 Like

You sure she wasn’t just having you watch A Charlie Brown Christmas because she was hungover that day?

I was two classes from a BA in chemistry (essentially a minor) but at the time MSU only had double majors which meant a full extra year of credits. They just wanted the cash.

Of course now they have minors.

I regret stopping math just short of differential equations and linear algebra. I think vector calc was the last thing I did.

I did the same thing, only had to take 2 or 3 extra math classes on top of what was required for my major. My last semester my minor requirements were already complete but I signed up for a grad level class on chaotic systems or something. I dropped it a few weeks in, too much for me and I was checked out at that point anyway.

I never took any calculus in high school, had to start fresh in college which wasn’t ideal. I always found it funny I went from zero math knowledge above algebra to getting a minor in math.

One of my favorite college classes was physical chemistry, specifically the semester dealing with quantum mechanics. I always had worse grades then the pre med chemistry students until we got to that class (didn’t like o-chem, biochem was meh) but I schooled them on that subject, was fun hearing them complain about getting a B or C on an exam when I was at the top of the curve.

I topped out at topology.

fluids was it for me. couldn’t use a calculator, every single equation required some obscure trig identity. Class after me got busted for cheating on the take home exam (which took 30-40+ hours of work) by working together. The class average on that exam was 65%.

Matlab made me tap out.

1 Like

error-correcting codes is a beast. that and abstract algebra.

It wasn’t the end of the road but complex variables made me hate a subject I thought I liked. It wasn’t the topic that got me, but the instructor. An obese man who rarely washed, he was offended to have to lecture to people so stupid as to carelessly handle objects like the Dirac delta function. I can’t remember his exact objection but he didn’t like engineers, basically. I stopped going to class and failed. I left school the next semester, I think. But construction work not being all that much fun either, I went back.

To be fair to the fat man, he wasn’t the only one and maybe not the worst influence among professors I had.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1425309055816458241?s=19

Surprised you didn’t take your maths exams a year early.

The leap from HS math to university math was stunning. I went from winning math contests in high school to sitting in Calculus I my first term thinking I’d made a huge mistake.

1 Like

I’d argue that doing 82 - 49 as 82 - 40 - 9 is distinctly worse than 82 - 50 + 1, and probably specifically reflects poor formal training in mental arithmetic. The reason the first way is worse is that 42 - 9 is not an atomic operation. In my head (and I assume everyone else’s as well), that operation breaks down to 42 - 10 + 1 (increment the ones digit, decrement the tens), so you actually get a three step process (82 - 40 - 10 + 1). Adding or subtracting 1 is always an atomic operation (if it was going to overflow you would have been able to cancel 9s in the original problem), so 82 - 50 + 1 is faster and simpler. In general, it’s better technique to adjust the subtrahend to the closest multiple of 10 rather than simply decomposing it, because the smaller adjustment is less likely to over- or underflow in the final step.

1 Like

Holy crap, I just realized that sentence diagrams and concrete syntax trees are exactly the same thing.

2 Likes