Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

His house doesn’t mean shit, I’m too lazy but people can bring up a ton of shit he has done to grift. He lies a lot and a ton of legit activists have called him out. He was taken out of BLM and shit.

Having an upper middle class home isn’t bad, but lying and bullshitting to grift to become upper middle class is bad.

7 Likes

I’m going to keep pushing back against the idea that people with income in the 95th+ percentile of the US are the middle of anything. It’s kind of depressing that I get so many opportunities to do so.

8 Likes

He’s both a grifter and millions of people who live in suburbs in the USA own a similar home.

yeah that seems like a perfectly fine take

But I need to know if I’m supposed to hate him or not. Please clarify. Not ambiguity is permitted.

2 Likes

I want to add to this because I’m not just implying that the upper percentiles are out of touch with how the majority actually lives. I also think there’s a huge problem with cultural perception and media reinforcement defining that “middle” class lifestyle as normal, because it drives massive over-consumption and debt among people who have little hope of achieving it but will actively make their own lives worse trying to live up to expectations they can’t meet.

4 Likes

He’s basically social media Al Sharpton

Whether or not that’s a bad thing is a matter of perspective I guess

Out of curiosity, can you link to a picture of something that you would describe as a “standard middle class house”. Or does such a thing not even exist as median income people can’t generally afford houses.

The goal of our movement should be that EVERYONE should be able to get a decent home, so shaming people for a decent home and making 200kish is bad. As long as those people are fine with paying some raise in taxes to help fund shit like M4A and other things to help society.

If they want shit like " medicare for all who want it" that ends up with them not paying more taxes and people have to pay like $700 a month for insurance or whatever then those people can get fucked.

Pointing out that being in the top 10% of income and wealth can not accurately be described as middle class is not shaming.

Neither of those are middle class but no one is claiming they are the same in any other way.

US median household income is $65k, which can maybe qualify for a median home (currently $314k) if they have the credit score and down payment and are willing to spend that much. I’m not going to bother calculating taxes, escrow and all that and just guesstimate that $300k is about the ceiling realistically if you’re at $65k household income, and if you’re smart you should probably knock your budget down to about $250k or less.

Semi-randomly picking Charlotte, NC (~$64k median household), here’s what’s currently on the market for $300k if you love debt:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7512-Niccoline-Ln-Charlotte-NC-28214/249019672_zpid/

And this is $250k if you want to be a little smarter about your finances:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9214-Putnam-Pl-Charlotte-NC-28214/239886265_zpid/

1 Like

3k sqft houses are McMansions now? What?

Nearest house to me <$300k. This is $295k.

5 Likes

Who knew Compton was so expensive?

Lynwood, right next to Compton.

This house in Compton is $725k.

Not kidding.

3 Likes

Thanks. Here’s another one:

How much cheaper would it be to build the Charlotte house you linked vs the King house posted upthread (i.e. assume same lot, just cost to build the structure and no landscaping).

McMansions are generally suburban homes in the 3k-5k square footage range that are bigger than a single family of four needs to live comfortably. They’re not actual mansions.

Whoever lives there is probably old (maybe heirs and someone just died) and bought it for $20k or something originally or it’s rented.