Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

I have walked to my hotel from Providence Airport. ORD has a hotel built into the terminal complex.

I don’t think BART even went to the airport when I lived there.

LA is finally getting a rail line to LAX in time for the 2028 Olympics. Maybe.

It’s a lot farther than the other side of the airport. The bus from the train station to LAX can take over 30 minutes on a bad day. The problem is the bus has to fight with traffic just like everyone else. Like I said, if you get a bus driver who refuses to cut anyone off, the bus barely moves.

The small Toronto airport is convenient to walk to some hotels. Either O’Hare or Detroit had a hotel right in the terminal back in the day. Boston now has a hotel connected to the terminals.

I’m sure nobody saw this coming.

After two years of wrangling, the country’s three major drug distributors and a pharmaceutical giant have reached a $26 billion deal with states that would release some of the biggest companies in the industry from all legal liability in the opioid epidemic, a decades-long public health crisis that has killed hundreds of thousands of Americans.

Melbourne is a contender for the WOAT in this regard. It’s like 15 miles from the airport to the dead center of the city and there are no trains. There’s a Skybus service but it’s annoying to use. A taxi will run you like $US 50. There have been occasions where a cab to somewhere in Melbourne has cost me more than the flight from Adelaide did. They’re building a train now, it’s long overdue.

1 Like

Miami has to be the absolute worst. Everything about that airport is terrible. The train to the rental car center takes longer than it should take to get to the actual city.

A fresh El Camino rolled:

1 Like

Yeah in the Tibetan tradition, single-pointed meditation on the breath is exactly the one recommended for people too bound up in conceptuality and discursive thought. And the Tibetans would probably consider that to be absolutely everyone in the West.

Yeah these moments of insight can be startling, because on some level I’m sure you already knew you were in trouble, but there’s that shift from it being an abstraction at arm’s length to really seeing it as truth, the way you know in your bones that a hot stove will burn you if you touch it. You see in those moments how discursive thought can be an obstacle to clear seeing.

Light rail goes from MSP to downtown Minneapolis, I’ve never tried it though.

Looks like it’s a direct ride, takes about 25 minutes

1 Like

In addition to your list, Bangkok, KL and pretty much all big Chinese cities have pretty smooth and efficient rail services to/from the airports to downtown, and then you’re usually one transfer away from wherever you’d want to be. They’re so much newer and nicer than any American metros.

2 Likes

I guess this isn’t surprising given it’s named after a tantrum-throwing manchild whose major priorities included smashing pinball machines and dumping them in the East River.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/patjd/status/1108272774483578880?lang=en

12 Likes

So I had an IRL convo with a friend who is basically one of those never Trump republicans. However, I guess he was trying to find some sort of redeeming quality of Trump. So after debunking all of his attempts at things he thought Trump “did well”, the only one I didn’t have a quality answer to was, “I think he did a good job of defeating ISIS”.

I came back with a combination of
– Obama was already bombing the shit out of them, so it seems like he just was there for the inevitable conclusion of the trajectory Obama had set
– To give him credit, we’d have to say he did something. So what specifically did he do? What novel policy or change in strategy was he responsible for. Did he send more troops? Order even more bombings? (there was no good answer to this)

I’m sure I could have done better. What should I have said?

1 Like

Nice combination of punches. Then you kicked him in his ass.

Didn’t feel that satisfying because I was absolutely dunking on everything else. This was by far my weakest response.

That’s ok. It’s good to have something to work on.

Those people are hopeless.

Why? He voted for Biden. I think that at least takes him out of the hopeless category.

Of course, if Jeb or Mittens were to get the nom against all odds, he’d vote for one of them.

1 Like

Sounds like FOX may have cracked the UFO mystery!
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1417852883232600064?s=19

2 Likes