Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

Good question. In our addendum, the buyers weren’t waiving all of the contingencies(inspection, appraisal, loan, etc), although sometimes we’d have to waive some of them. In California at that time you could get a buyer out of escrow without losing their deposit fairly easily in the first 14 days after opening escrow. In a way it was kind of a free-roll for our buyer-clients because if the highest offer was too high, we could just back them out.

1 Like

My guess is he’s looking at homes in the $1-$1.5 million range for list price. The question is how much of a commute he will have to deal with to get it.

1 Like

Listened to a podcast about a guy in Montana who was local but had lost like 26 deals to Californians. Finally literally hung a sign on his neck that said “local locking to buy a house for my family. Please sell me one.” He walked up and down main street with it on.

It finally worked.

Sorry to hear that.

1 Like

Reminder that boomers went to college for like $500, got jobs with pensions and bought houses for like $40,000

Fuck baby boomers

2 Likes

#notallboomers

You can’t buy a house in the Rochester, NY area right now without waving the inspection. It’s literally not possible.

What odds would we assign to this CANCEL CULTURE RUN AMOK getting some play in the right-wing OUTRAGE machine?

Do we really want to live in a society without exclusive intellectually masturbatory awards ceremonies for rich white people that take themselves extremely seriously? A dark prospect indeed.

2 Likes

I like my BP neat

There are about a dozen posts today that could be lumped in with the Bezos = guillotine comments.

That’s sad, sorry to hear that. I will comment that another key takeaway here is that having a healthy looking appearance is not the greatest barometer of health. I’m sorry if that sounds callous, I really don’t mean it that way. But heart diseases at most ages are overwhelmingly causes by factors that are detectable and treatable, for your family and friends we should all do our physicals and get regular checkups.

1 Like

Tom Cruise returned his three Globes

Oooh

That is just insane. If I owned some total pos with a destroyed foundation and electrical days from burning down the place now is the time to sell.

Is there anytime stopping people from doing this?

Not sure if this is a response to my post, but the oldest Gen Xers are turning 56 this year. Oldest Millenials are turning 40. Zoomers, 24.

Although the easiest way to explain it to a buyer is “buyer beware”, I do think there is a floor to what a seller can get away with (at least in Ontario, my guess is the law would be similar in most other Canadian provinces). I think there is a theoretical opportunity to sue for fraud or misrepresentation, if you waive a right to an inspection to don’t waive a right to legal recourse for fraud. Similarly if the seller actually tries to actively hide that a house is unsafe then that’s still illegal even if you waive an inspection. Obviously those things are hard to prove and more expensive than an inspection, but I don’t think you give up all your legal rights if you waive an inspection.

1 Like

The open house process, for one.

In 1978, my single mom bought a big house on a corner lot in Fairway, a nice KC suburb, for $31k. It stayed in our family for decades. Now is worth $400k or something.

Just drove by my grandma’s dumpy old house in Prairie Village. Torn down, new house supposedly $900k. Tear downs all up and down the block. Crazy.

I wonder how much #BoomerHate is related to hating parents. Iirc, you and Bored have unfortunate relationships with your parents. I never thought about hating boomers any more than any other group. Except GenX of course—knuckle-draggers, the lot of them.

For a lot of these properties the structure is worth nothing and it’s all land value.

~Every house on my block more than 30 years old is a tear down, no matter how big or nice it is. The bigger it is the more there is to tear down. If it were about to fall down on its own, that would be a plus.