Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

I was just a young boy and liked the song then :blush: then later on in life I met one of the people in that video when I played a part on a BBC2 screen play, good times and a great story getting drunk at 15 in the hotel room we were put up in for a weekend, the beeb do look after there people that’s for sure.

1 Like

Bill Burr does tons of bits about overpopulation solving and never includes Dave Matthews Band fans in his population trimming ideas. It wouldn’t be a missed demographic because there’s nothing worse than two DMB fans talking to each other about DMB.

DMB has a great little SA restaurant/bar in charlottesville. i would miss it if it were gone.

A South African restaurant in Charlottesville? No wonder why the white supremacist rally was there.

it’s not far from rob e lee statue

Can you expand on this in this thread: https://unstuckpolitics.com/t/individual-economics-in-the-age-of-covid-19 ?

Need examples. I haven’t read the paper yet, but their point about it being LOUDER seems bizarre to me if the dynamic range hasn’t changed. Like why would you mix/master it to be quieter?

The original article linking the article you posted claims the exact opposite though.

Despite this fact, the Spanish team also found that songs’ “absolute dynamic variability has been conserved” over the years. In other words, the overall dynamic range of recordings – the distance between a song’s quietest and loudest moments – has remained more or less the same.

See also:

That will be just fine. You won’t miss it.

It’s evidently actually a law that just passed:
https://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=HB1182

What’s even crazier is that the Transgender restroom thing is completely manufactured issue by the right. So like, they manufactured a nonissue that they blamed on the left, it has cycled all the way through the right hive mind and is manifesting bigoted laws that just hurt transgender people even more along with some random business owners. It’s fucking psychotic. Like the right is some paranoid schizophrenic who has us all held hostage and we all have to sit here tied to a fucking chair nervously hoping it’s batshit mind doesnt concoct some delusion that says we all need to die.

4 Likes

The way I look at it is:

Republicans are creating very real solutions (voter suppression, tax policy, legislative log jams, court packing) to imaginary problems (oppression of whites, ANTIFA, transgender people, Pizzagate).

Democrats are creating imaginary solutions (bipartisanship, whites papers from think tanks) to very real problems (climate change, health care coverage, infrastructure, wealth inequality).

16 Likes

Texas is going to pass price caps on insulin, which has to my knowledge been achieved in exactly zero blue states, I’m telling you guys they’re going to figure out ponies + racism is unbeatable.

It just means that the median loudness is higher which is not disputed by anyone. If the absolute dynamic range is 24 dB (and symmetrical) in both cases then the dynamic ranges are (-34 dBFS, -10 dBFS) and (-25 dBFS and -1 dBFS) where 0 dBFS is the maximum level before clipping occurs. This is a perfectly appropriate dynamic range for music like pop and rock.

Most music services and software now have some sort of feature like ReplayGain to equalize loudness between tracks. That SOS article actually turned into a published paper that used that technique to control for loudness and then found people basically had no idea how much compression or lack of dynamic range they were hearing. The perceived loss of dynamic range is most likely just bad use of compression, limiting, and/or other effects.

2 Likes

can’t wait for texas to fuck it up somehow. like a texas market of insulin separate from the rest of the country and not winterized.

1 Like

I don’t think pop music is generally compressed too badly but loss of dynamic range is a problem in other genres where producers use it to try to make mixes sound “lively” or “exciting”, in the process destroying the sound quality. An infamous example is Metallica’s “Death Magnetic”, which features audio sitting up near 0 dB the entire time, with virtually no dynamics. Fans actually remixed the album using the individual audio tracks from the Guitar Hero release, which had not been ruined in this way. Here’s a comparison of the album version versus the Guitar Hero version:

This is an extreme example, but it’s a general problem in the industry.

My friend’s son (14 years old) had people visit his school to deliver an anti-drug message. They had glasses with them that distort vision to supposedly simulate how being off your face makes you unable to operate safely. His friend tried them on and while wearing them fell over and broke his arm. Maybe a little too realistic?

3 Likes

Buy up insulin in Texas, sell it in California? But will there be any? Why would pharma companies sell there? Will there be a die-off of diabetic MAGA in Texas? (I’m not an economist.)

There’s a detailed analysis of exactly that in the soundonsound article I linked. I am intrigued by the alleged shittiness of this album.

It’s not paranoia. It is malice. Their base expects them to deliver on the promise of hurting the “other” people. The cruelty is the point.

1 Like