Why won't anyone work?

You sound like self employment is a good choice. It’s a lot easier to get people to give you money for solving their problems than it is to get them to enter the employer-employee relationship with you… and that relationship mostly sucks anyway so you aren’t really missing anything.

Damn, I wish I had good advice. The science job market kinda sucks. You could probably find work as a post-doc if you just need to get your foot in the door? If you don’t mind making peanuts for a year or two.

1 Like

This, my company is about to lose three strong, awesome workers who have helped reduce monthly close time by two days during the pandemic because the bosses are “old school” and are demanding everyone return to the office.

Whoops. Hope they like getting their financials 5 days late.

1 Like

and this is probably the exact reason the bosses are “old school”

They don’t trust their workers even when they have over a year of evidence that working from home as INCREASED production and work rate. Its fucking embarassing.

The last time I thought I could be good at poker, I was playing limit hold’em.

I got rid of most of my poker books, but I still have this one, which is in a plastic bag because a friend gave it to me as a birthday present and it’s supposed to be worth something. I guess if I get hard up enough, I’ll find out.

Yeah. I’ve done that and will probably go back to it as the pandemic recedes. I could do some online stuff but I don’t think I’m very good in that format.

If you go to the WyzAnt tutoring website and look for say, calculus tutors, then filter by hourly rate, high to low… lol. Can anyone explain what’s going on there?

I actually thought it would be much higher. Check it out, though.

You can say that again.

And it hasn’t been good since, what? The early 00s?

? I think you have to register to get that info. What are the rates? My wife and one of my kids have done some tutoring, but this “knowledge” I have is based on my wife’s uncle. He’s tutored for decades. Not that he’s made a fortune or anything, but, like with most things, the money is in working for rich people, not poor people. It takes quite a while to build up a good client base, but when you start mostly going to rich people’s houses and tutoring their kids you can get a good rate. My wife and kid were making ~$25/hr doing mostly SAT prep.

See your edit. I assume that $750/hr is $750 for 11hrs?

Nope, its 750 an hour. Like you said, probably targeting rich clients.

They see “750 an hour” and think, “man, this guy must be good. My precious little angel needs the best money can buy”

FWIW I used to tutor LSAT both for a company and just picking up some side hours. Reddit is a surprisingly good place to find students - I advertise tutoring for $75/hr and I have people message me about it all the time, even though I haven’t actively tutored or posted on the LSAT subreddit for a few years.

1 Like

Well, kinda hard to believe, insane if true. I think my wife’s uncle was making like $100/hr. That is a lot, but of course you can’t get anything like 40hrs/week and there’s lots of work that is unpaid.

Devil,

Put yourself up there at $1000/hr and be ridiculously eccentric.

I think Masque de Z over at 22 made a living as a math tutor / post-doc, I could be wrong about that. Probably not a bad living if you want independence.

No, he’s done all of eleven hours of calculus tutoring through the site. That’s $8k not counting the rake, if he actually charged that.

You don’t have to register to search for tutors but they do make you answer a series of questions. I may have been too selective and that’s why I got these low budget options.

You mean like University Research Science?

Devil reminds me of my late-step-father-in-law (not the most recent late-step-father-in-law, but the one before that). He worked for The Aerospace Company and was like a technician for tests they did. He would do cool stuff like go out in the desert and test rocket engines.

I don’t get it. I blame late stage capitalism.

1 Like

Yes those kinds of jobs are few and far between.

You mean University jobs or both University and corporate?

I am not your father in law. The rest is/was me.

I think if these people are legit and not money laundering or some shit, they must be doing some fancy consulting, not straight up tutoring rich high school kids.

1 Like

If he got paid by the word he’s fucking rich.

7 Likes

Yes, any of them. There are lots of universities cranking out PhDs and not really enough jobs for them all.