Why do we need mega-threads?

Might need a better name for them. Or call them Kilo-threads if we’re being nitty.

2 Likes

Think it was gregoreo who suggested (at 22 at some point) that reading the first few posts before skipping to the end was the best approach to dealing w a long thread you had not read.

It may seem obvious, but adding something like “After reading the first few posts” before the “you should skip to the end” part might be helpful

I like megathreads - all forums I use have them in one form or another and It’s usually pretty obvious what they’re for and how they work.

Is 500 posts in one thread really all that much worse than 100 posts across 5 different threads?

You can always just use the scroll bar on the side to skip to the last ~50 pots or so and start from there, and that’s easier to do in a megathread

yeah idc anymore and i’m just a casual user anyway

It‘s worse if (for now) you are only interested in the latest impeachment happenings and you don’t want to miss anything but can do without discussion of spelling errors or plans of alligator filled moats.

1 Like

Reasonable, but it’s also hard to disentangle Trump’s tweets from the latest impeachment happenings. The tweets are a meaningful part of his defense, and you’re not going to stop people from laughing at his, shall we say, shortcomings. Maybe start a, say, daily summary thread of just the most important things?

2 Likes

If we could get this going it would be really great.

1 Like

I think the Trump thread could be improved with less twitter spam. If I really wanted to see hundreds of “oh snap!” tweets and comments from randoms I would be using twitter.

1 Like

Well, in the immortal worlds of the philosopher, “Be the change you want to see in the electronic forum you access via the Information Superhighway.”

Mega-threads are good. The crosstalk generates more conversation compared to siloed threads with narrow topics. It’s also nice not having to worry about derailing narrow topical threads.

I post on an NBA message board with tons of narrow topical threads like “All Things Dwyane Wade” and there are constantly pages and pages of derail because the threads are just too narrowly defined.

Might have to take this up with @Smacc_25. He very obviously means well but it’s a lot of noise, imo.

NP… :+1:

I appreciate the feedback and just yesterday I was saying to myself that I should calm down on the Tweets… I usually fire off to many in my morning coffee routine. :coffee::joy:

I’ll post the articles instead that’s relevant. And less opinions :rofl:

1 Like

I might do it over the weekend as I’m not feeling to great atm, 1 of my old school friends died on Sunday after waking up during the night and falling on a rock when they were fishing.
My dad helped this guy loads so it’s hit us and me Today… I should be good over the weekend to start 1.

Sorry for the depressing story. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

People are often reluctant to start a new thread. For example, we have a poker hands thread, but not a general poker thread, so @skydiver8 posted about the Stones Gambling Hall scandal in the sports thread because that seemed like the best fit to her instead of starting a new thread.

I’m sorry for your loss smacc.

1 Like

I am thoroughly enjoying the current mega thread structure fwiw. It’s similar enough to 22 but improves in a lot of areas (live updates, keeping place mobile to desktop etc)

If there are 1000 new posts and I know I have 15 min to catch-up, can easily rewind 100 posts or so and get up to speed. Or go back 200 and do a faster run through.

Not broken enough (at all?) to need a fix imo. If the current setup is sub optimal, it seems marginally so.

I like the trump mega thread and I like all the contributed tweets as I’m not otherwise on twitter.

One drawback is that the post counter for that thread now shows just the post number (“10100” instead of “10100/10105”). I assume this happened when the thread passed 10k posts but not sure. This is on mobile, desktop is fine.

1 Like

Thanks for checking. Not a big deal to me, especially now that I know tapping the progress bar shows how close to the end you are.

But if you already hate megathreads, you can add this to you list of cons.

Well that sounds ominous.