Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

Yeah and he posts homer radio calls of amazing plays.

https://twitter.com/poppy_haze/status/1472930654824419336?t=hLC629II_A6O2M_dYlBYqA&s=19

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/jasonintrator/status/1472730669474361348?t=re2-IGXhUFBuDkF3fuykdA&s=19

1 Like

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1473078444246372353?s=20

Talk about telling on yourself.

1 Like

million of lives saved. so many achomlishments

3 Likes

Throw the book at this bullet

2 Likes

Seems like a good headline to me. Makes it clear that a police were firing at someone else and a stray bullet killed the girl.

“Police kill innocent 14 year old while shooting at unarmed suspect” would have done the job.

2 Likes

A bullet was fired.

The suspect was beating a woman with a lock. That could easily justify deadly force so “unarmed suspect” is pretty dubious. But apart from that your headline is less informative. A stray bullet did kill the girl, which tells us that the gunmen were not aiming at her. It tells us who fired the stray bullet: police, who were trying to hit a suspect.

That headline does not use the passive voice.

they couldn’t reach for a tazer to stop someone with a bike lock?

Maybe, I don’t know.

Well they went for their taser but one thing led to another and that didn’t work out as planned.

One of my favourite nonsense facts is that Taser stands for Thomas A Swifts Electric Rifle

TomSwift10

1 Like

Points were missed.

No fucking way on earth is that true.

Yep. It is true.

2 Likes

i am just amazed that even the most basic analysis of how much law enforcement is used reveals downright dangerous policy failures. Every sheriff and PD has different standards on equipment, vehicles, engagement, and review. Every state has multiple levels of enforcement, and the standards change every year. The number of crimes is generally declining per capita, but number of officer interactions is growing. the stops are becoming less about traffic, there are fewer accidents and more automated penalties. Patrols are shifting more towards intervention and questioning. and there’s no review in the public discourse of where any of those numbers are heading.

meanwhile prosecution of misconduct is growing, the budgets have consistently grown yoy, especially in liberal stronghold cities, and on top of it, the police are also expected to deal with drug and mental health issues, not to mention controlling safety during political protests?

like, there are two countries that stand out as having both high incarceration rates and high police numbers. those are russia and usa. it’s bonkers how many red flags that is raising.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree with your sentiment but don’t see what it really has to do with this particular situation. The cops were responding to someone committing aggravated assault, and that’s Good, Actually. Aggravated assaults are definitely one thing that police should be policing. You may be right that a lower level of force could be used, we’ll have to wait for the body cam video and store surveillance for that. But in a case like this you really have to judge things not by the terrible outcome but by the reasonableness of the officer’s intended action. If the officer was reasonable in his use of deadly force then the stray bullet is just a terrible accident.

i was talking more generally, although since i was talking in aggregate, it is by definition going to be a collection of shootings that went bad. not that any shooting can be considered as going well.

i think the rules of deadly engagement are bad and this case shows it. if the police officer was somehow aware of a person behind the drywall, i sincerely hope his training says he shouldn’t shoot. in this instance, he didn’t judge that the wall can be penetrated with his service weapon in a potentially public place, meaning that the chance of stray casualties was real. that’s absolutely a case where regulators need to reassess appropriate deadly measures. otherwise it’s just the wild west.