What's on your walls?

Alright, I’ve been thinking about starting this thread for a while. This is a place to share what you’ve got hanging on your walls, and the story of how it got there.

Art is important to me, and I can’t image hanging anything that doesn’t really resonate. This is the first piece of art I ever bought because I simply had to own it …

I bought this on my first trip to Ecuador with my ex wife. We were in this little beach town called Salinas, and there was a guy selling paintings from a little kiosk. I saw him setting up one evening–climbing an unsteady ladder to steal power from the utility lines overhead, hanging the paintings. The paintings he was selling were clearly by a mix of artists, and most of them didn’t register at all for me. But this one jumped out.

I think it’s a fantastic piece, still maybe my favorite. Had to cut it off the stretcher and have to restretched back in DC. We went back to Ecuador a few months later (not just for this purpose) and tracked down some other work by the artist (Daniel Ortega, I believe a Colombian). I bought this piece, but clearly it is inferior to the larger original work.

Of course, I think I paid $100 for the first one because I was some random dude buying from a random dude in a random place. Second time around my ex-wife’s family helped track down an art dealer who located a couple of more his pieces. They were smaller and not as good, but 3x the price. Funny…

Years later I was at a North Carolina flea market and bought this for $10 …

Joan Miro is one of my favorite artists, and so this lithograph for an art sale in 1974 was immediately attractive. But it got more interesting when I did some research on the Gabos Art Center.

Turns out the owner, Cornell Gabos, spent years in prison for selling fakes. I wrote a little blog post about the litho and Gabos, and now I get ocassional emails from folks asking me if some print they bought at the Salvation Army could be a real Picasso (these prints have Gabos name on the back sometimes, and they find my blog).

I snagged this at an auction for less than $100. The guy who framed it warned me it could be fake when he asked what I paid for it …

… I’m interested in this idea of “fakes.” There are lots of ways a print can be fake–a real, authorized image with a fake signature. A signature on a blank sheet, with the print later added. A wholly original-fake image, with fake signature.

Barcelona 1964 was a portfolio of 10-12 lithographs in an edition size of 100 (how many lithos there were is unclear). Complete set went at Christies in 2008. Here’s an image of apparently all of them.

I’m inclined to think this is real, as it fits the description. This is the cover image, it is numbered and initialed in accordance with other mentions I’ve seen. I don’t think it’s particularly valuable, but I am thrilled to have it.

This next piece is maybe familiar to folks. Edition of 250, by Ralph Steadman, originally accompanying Rolling Stone’s printing of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter Thompson.

Here’s what that first printing looks like …

I have some other HST stuff, including a signed poster from a lecture he did at Arizona State. He was a fascinating character, though often people seem to latch on for not the greatest reasons.

Last piece I’ll include here is the most recent acquisition. Local arts conservatory has an annual auction, and someone donated this piece by Nicholas Takis.

As soon as I saw this painting, I was hooked.

I think there were three bidders? I was shocked. The painting just had this magnetic pull for me–the same feeling I had in Ecuador for the very first painting.

18 Likes

Paint

10 Likes

Nearly 50 year old large oil on canvas painting my deceased grandma painted in ‘72.

I don’t know why I like it. Her usual style was very vibrant colors and a lot of light in landscape paintings. This is not a landscape painting and is the only really dark painting in her collection of works.

I know a little from the family history that 72 was a very dark time - she was going through a rough divorce, I believe. It reminds me of my own battle over the years with depression. You have a guy out in the middle of the stormy ocean with nothing but a rowboat but he is standing strong and brave. Then his partner is not occupied at all by the storm and is continuing his fishing despite it all. This represents two different aspects of the struggle with depression - the side that tries to put on a brave face and fights against the storm, and the side that carries on with business as usual even though the storm is raging.

Dunno if that’s too personal but I really like and enjoy this painting, even though it’s kind of ominous.

17 Likes

9 Likes

Not too personal. What’s the difference between the brave face and the business as usual? Maybe it’s a difference of facing what’s happening and pretending it isn’t?

Either way, thanks for the story behind the painting and why you enjoy it.

1 Like

Good question - I see it more as, someone needs to guide the ship towards shore. That means taking meds, going to therapy, confronting past trauma, making sure I’m taking care of things that could contribute to depression - like showering often, good sleep hygiene, keeping the house clean, etc.

But all of that can be really draining and difficult to do when you are in the throes of it. There needs to be a guy who can just put all of that aside, and even when things are really bad, can present as business as usual. This is the side of me I most often show here, and at work. You cannot really tell or let on to people that you are struggling because people get (unnecessarily) worried or apply certain stigmas to you that may not be true at all. Being able to hide the illness is a really critical aspect of living with chronic depression. Maybe someday that won’t be necessary - I hope so.

But both of these people need each other. Someone to fight the actual storm, and someone to continue on as if it isn’t happening at all.

Anyway back on topic - I think good art makes you think about these things, and this painting definitely touches me in some way.

3 Likes

We have something like this because we’re unoriginal. About 3x as big in our living room. Paid some gal way too little for it too.

4 Likes

You had someone do it directly on a huge wall?

1 Like

Yeah took her a couple days and like $300 or something ridiculous.

1 Like

The only thing I have up on my wall is one of these. My buddy and I were both big Tool fans so he gave it to me for a birthday or Christmas.

7 Likes

Live laugh love obviously

4 Likes

18 Likes

J/k but that will be hanging on @6ix’s wall when I get framing tools out of storage after pandemic.

I have a lot of prints, more than I can probably think of. Sorry don’t have pictures right now everything is in storage. My largest are some Dubuffets that are ~5’ not including frame, a few other big ones I can’t remember which are great at eating up wall space in a huge loft. Smaller I have a 70s Miro, a Calder, some others like 1/1 mono/test prints from shops that do concert posters and art prints. Oh also a few signed concert posters. Don’t think any of it is extremely rare or valuable. Don’t have any oils or canvas although I’d like to.

4 Likes

Tbh this is one of my favorite art finds. I swear some of the craziest shit I’ve ever seen is home brew at flea markets and antique malls. This particular one is unsigned and appears to be acrylic (on canvas) with a metallic silver. It’s like a proletariat Warhol for the 21st century.

6 Likes

Wow.

2 Likes

I love this one I found on the internet I don’t even know who the artist is. I put it at the top of the doorframe to block the light from the hallway to where I sit in my office.

One of my favorite Basquiats printed out and taped to the side of the doorframe of my office because I can’t find a larger framed version. I love when Basquiat misspells something then scratches it out and writes a different misspelling underneath

This framed print of Study after Velazquez’s Portrait of Pope Innocent X spoke to me, or screamed at me idk, I love it tho. It’s taking up an exceedingly prominent position in my office which adds something extra to it. I’m not sure if the pope is good and screaming because he can’t change the world or the beaurocracy of large institutions, or if he wants to effect change but he’s trapped in the position he’s in. But he’s screaming in a chair either way, so as an online poker player I can relate bigly

Basquiat’s Two Heads on Gold is on the other side of my computer so I’m looking at this one and the scream pope like all day, reminding me that nothing is ok.

Caravaggio’s Judith Beheading Holofernes is in the living room right next to the TV so you can’t miss it. This obscure Bible story had this guy Holofernes who was like a top general, with fighting and tactical skills unmatched. And God didn’t like that he was winning so much, so God told his servant Judith to slice his throat when he was sleeping, and she does, and that’s like the whole story. Thanks God. Good one. Moral of the story is don’t be too good at anything, and if a voice tells you to kill someone, just do it. All the facial expressions are hilarious and horrific at the same time, making this the perfect painting for a living room.

Green t rex skeleton from cb2 broke up the monotony of this super boring wall, but it’s transparent so you can see the super boring wall behind it and appreciate how boring the wall would be without a green t rex skeleton on it.

14 Likes

Francis Bacon was one of my online poker s/n’s.

3 Likes

Named after the painter or the poet?

1 Like

If the username of the artist that painted Figure with Meat is available you have to take it.

2 Likes

me, when meme :heart:

1 Like