What Is Your Listening Setup? (Audiophile / Hi-Fi)

@mjiggy has alerted us to a deal:

Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee on sale for $129 (reg $170) at MassDrop. New email signups get $10 off.

In terms of value, I don’t see how these can be beat. They are so good for the price that I would not consider selling mine.

1 Like

Thanks for this, do I need to purchase a cord as well if I want to listen to music on my pc with these?

No. It comes with a 6 ft fully detachable cable that terminates to a 3.5 mm (1/8") TRS plug, i.e., the standard size you’d plug into a phone or laptop. A 1/8" to 1/4" adapter is included.

To be clear, these are completely wired and not wireless in any way. They are also open back which means they do not isolate you from external noise nor contain the noise from the headphones. In other words, they don’t have any special features outside of sounding absolutely incredible for a price that is stupidly low. The headphones that they sound nearly identical to (HD 660 S) are $500, and with a few simple tweaks I bet people couldn’t do better than chance in a blind A/B.

I’m wanting to get a record player but I want it to be able to connect to my Sonos system. The issue is that I only have 2 play 3s and a player. Based on their website it looks like I would need a Play:5 and I don’t really have a good spot for it. I might try and find a Gen 2 connect on Ebay - that should work maybe? Anyone have any other bright ideas?

Edit: No go on the connects - they are like $200 min on Ebay for the gen 2.

Yea I got that much, just wasn’t sure if cable was included, all I saw was mention of adapter, prolly gonna pick these up, I’d like to see what it’s like, what is the difference between listening on these and my AirPods? Lol

The tuning and tonality are just so good for $119 and you can plug straight into anything without an amp. Everything sounds full, natural, and balanced. That’s where your money is going. You’re going to hear what it’s really supposed to sound like, and you’re going to love it. There are technical aspects like imaging and resolution but the easiest way to describe it is it sounds a lot more like being there. I was just watching a Youtuber play some FPS and the cracking sound of the guns was wild.

The HD 58X are in the same family as HD 600, HD 650 / HD 6XX, HD 660 S, using the same housing and materials with a unique driver that was probably a prototype or precursor to the HD 660 S (the latest and “best” model in the 600 line). They all have the same basic sound signature (neutral) with slightly different flavors in tonality. For example, the HD 600 has anemic bass response but extremely clear mids and highs and is technically the most neutral. The HD 58X has slightly boosted bass by comparison which it pulls off extremely well while maybe trading a small amount of clarity. But IME you can EQ that out with software if you want a different signature.

1 Like

Ordered. I have Beats by Dre buds and the old Sony 7506 from college in 2005 or so.

1 Like

7506 are still a standard monitoring headphone but I can’t imagine they are good for actually enjoying audio.

1 Like

The ones on the left cost way more and need power to drive properly. I use them when I require isolation or very analytical levels of detail. They are heavier and less comfortable to wear for long periods, and I’d be lying if I said I absolutely enjoyed them more. It’s about a 50/50 split for me. I’m listening to the 58X now and they are just so pleasurable. Once you get the clamp force adjusted to your head it’s almost like you aren’t wearing headphones at all.

1 Like

I’m not sure what your budget is but if you want a good place to just get an idea of what’s out there here’s a good place to browse.

1 Like

Ordered em, will try to report back when I get them and try em out

2 Likes

Cool I’m putting my hi-fi list together for Spotify and will post it when I finish.

The teacher that required those Sony headphones also made us buy this overpriced CD set but I still have it and have been meaning to go through it now that I have a DVD/CD drive again.

http://www.moultonlabs.com/full/product01/

1 Like

What’s your budget?

Don’t ruin the magic by telling me what your avatar is but it’s ridiculous.

Looks like Dr Manhattan larping as Davinci.

1 Like

Vol. 1: Frequencies
Trains you to recognize boosts and cuts in all ten octaves of the frequency spectrum. Progressive drills build from simple boosts in music to more demanding single octave cuts in pink noise.

What could possibly be more fun than sitting around listening to pink noise on an MDR 7506 and identifying single octave cuts? The only thing standing between that and torture is tying the listener to a chair.

1 Like

Google image search identifies it immediately for when you decide you want the answer.

The 900s were staple DJ headphones in the early 2000’s.

When I can afford some new monitoring headphones I would love some advice from an audiophile.

I’m great at sourcing but I love keeping things here for obv reasons.

You’re passionate which means more than any measurement.

Of course, pink noise sounds tasty to me. :grinning:

These are on my wishlist for bookshelf’s.

1 Like

Wild uneducated guess would be a character from a Phillip k dick novel.