What is the most obscure thing you do regularly?

Looked for my Simpsons chess set, or my chess set based off old indian sets. Well at least found this

1 Like

I liked chess until I got good enough to make every single match a two hour bit of homework. Same reason I stopped playing Starcraft - the system is designed to match you up against people exactly as good as you so every moment of every match is an intellectual grind. I won a few chess championships as a teen and then dropped it in high school.

2 Likes

Just remembered one. I download top grossing freemium games from Google play on my phone and grind as far as I can go without ever spending money. The games themselves are rarely all that fun (the top grossing one is literally just a one reel slot machine) but it kills commute time and I see it as a karmic fuck you to these shitty companies. Obviously not been doing it much since lockdown as I haven’t had much dead time.

1 Like

Most obscure thing here is the Italian game.

Looks like fried liver time.

1 Like

Finally! First of the quarantine and was tossing the fat barrels no less.

12 Likes

Those are nice sets. Is there a specific place you get them from?

Most tournanent size wooden sets made in the past 20 years come from India. I’ve bought a handful of nice sets in the past couple of years directly from an Indian manufacturer,
Chessbazaar.

Same. Ended up becoming a video game arcade junkie instead.

2 Likes

Not sure this would be considered obscure but when I’m not in a public restroom I pull my shorts down to like my thighs while urinating.

This almost backfired on me during a spring break trip to PCB. I was super drunk obviously and I went to pee in the middle of the night and the second I finished I passed out and smashed my head in the tub. As I’m regaining consciousness I hear my friend’s gf in the room next door ask if he heard that loud noise. I’m laying ass out in the tub but thankfully they didn’t come check. Also kind of rude they didn’t if you think about it.

2 Likes

This you?

4 Likes

Basically yeah but it’s so true. Gives you so much freedom to let the stream go.

1 Like

Top 3 favorites? I was never a junkie but 3 most memorable would be:

Chase HQ
Tron
Chiller

#1 Super Street Figher 2 Turbo for its infinite replay value. Might be tough to come up with two more that I think stand out above the rest. IMO the best games came in mid 90s through 00s, not the “golden era” of Donkey Kong and Galaga. Actually being good at those games requires a serious personality disorder. I reckon you’ve probably seen The King of Kong? Well, the drama for that shit is still burning including court cases over alleged cheating being decided this year.

Honestly situations like this really drive my fears that the reset button is about to be pressed. The frivolity of it backdropped against the pain and suffering in the world…I know I don’t have to tell you. But perservere we must.

Street fighter is like Americana to me. I always thought peeps who could mash on that game were the coolest.

Chase HQ is a Taito game and I’m a huge fan of their stuff. Think I only played Tron a few times but that is one of the coolest machines ever made with the glowing controller and killer cabinet. I think I played Chiller once just don’t have many memories other than it obviously being weird.

Hokuto No Ken aka Fist of the North Star (2005) was after my arcade days but I thought it was the perfect mix of sound, animation, and weirdness:

I had a chance to play Sega’s Time Traveler once. The game sucked, but in the early 90s that holographic effect was amazing. It was designed by the same guy who did Dragon’s Lair (another unique game that’s classic but was nearly impossible).

Yep

Also if you are looking for a game to scratch the same sort of itch of chess, I am going to throw out bridge. Game has a steep learning curve, but so much fun once you get past the initial curve.

I used to love getting stoned and playing quake. Grab that quad power and go crazy!

3 Likes

I know about the Kentucky people. In a very weird twist, my AIM screenname was [myinitials]bluefugate.

2 Likes

I was very very good at quakeworld (a friendlier port for higher ping players). DM6 was my house, only a small handful of quakers stood a chance.

1 Like