What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas. Except Threesomes.

Zhug, Harissa (pronounced Arisa in Israel), pilpelchuma are all cousins and would work. In hebrew the word would just be “harif” which means spicy.

Arisa=Harissa? Or is it something else?

should’ve waited for the edit.

Same, I realized that the english translation is spelled differently and edited.

I have never had zhug or pilpelchuma. Gonna work on fixing that.

Zhug is the most common spicy spread in Israel. It’s yemenite in origin but the variations are endless. The most common chili peppers in Israel are something similar to Hatch or Anaheim chillies, so the spice level is lower than a lot of American hot sauces.

Also hot sauce in the american sense is almost non existent in Israel

You’re going to lose on a technicality. Doing my research, the restaurant was part of a group called Toro Bravo. It is now owned by Sesame Collective, which broke off from the original group because of Facebook threats by the founder against a trans woman. It was originally branded as Israeli street food, but re-branded as Mediterranean because the Israeli partner went with the other group. So it doesn’t have an Israeli owner, but it used to and the current chef has at least traveled to Israel.

Their original Portland location has a wider menu and does not have the combination I ordered.

Tosafot is literally “side dishes” or “addons”/“extras” in hebrew. While some dishes are made up, this is still an extremely Israeli menu.

I mean to make it more clear - this is an extremely wanna be israeli menu. No israeli menu would actually look like this, but if you wanted some catch-all israeli street food menu it would be similar to that.

It’s a mish-mash of stuff you’d find in Israel, not really a cohesive menu. It could still be very tasty of course.

@NotBruceZ now you have an even better reason to go to Miznon. It’s an actual Israeli modern take on what this menu is pretending to be. It doesn’t mean it would necessarily taste better, but it’s an interesting comparison.

@Melkerson eating Mussabaha for lunch. Here’s an example of the “right” kind of olives + zhug. Using raw onion to scoop hummus is a pro move btw.

1 Like

Once you pointed out the olives, it made sense that these would go much better.

I actually do onion at home with hummus (but it is admittedly store bought crap hummus).

My late New Year’s resolution is to find a place that serves good mussubaha. I’ll be in LA in a few weeks. I don’t suppose you (or anyone else) knows a spot there. I figure that’s my best bet.

i’ve never been and this is anything but a hummus place, but i’ve heard good things about this restaurant and they do serve some version of it. It is a ‘fine dining’ restaurant though.

the chef is israeli and his brother owns my favorite burger place in Tel Aviv.

1 Like

Sort of related, but I tried zataar manakeesh for the first time ever this month. Where the hell was this my whole life!!! It’s so good. Going into my regular breakfast rotation.

Thanks for the rec. I’ll check it out. We’ll have the kids with us, so I’m very wary of fine dining with them.

POTY omg

Watch the show Mo? Made me think of the hummus discussion and how he carries a homemade bottle of olive oil in case he comes across insults to his culinary culture like this lmao

2 Likes

A Las Vegas woman is accused of stealing $15,000 in Canadian Dollars from an unlocked safe in a hotel room, according to authorities.

Eventually, they all met up at the hotel room where there was a safe, the report says. Cash and passports were secured in the safe. However, they told police the safe was not locked.

So that’s what $232.76 US?

:grin:

Says the guy whose entire heritage came through Canada

3 Likes

At Aria playing 1/3 waiting for PLO and might be playing with OG vlogger The Trooper.

You wearing the shirt?

No, tentatively planning on Monday. It’s a shame because he seems like a Trumper on Twitter.