What are you reading?

Just finished the Andrew Roberts bio on Churchill. I give it maybe an 8.5 out of 10.

It’s long (very long) and detailed. There’s not a lot of that stuff I hate in history books like “Caesar must have been upset by this development” and “Napoleon must have thought…” Man it gets old when a book is filled with that.

Churchill was making speeches all the time, and writing letters, so we know exactly what he was thinking. It seems everyone else was writing letters and keeping notes, and keeping a diary too. So all the political machinations are laid bare. There’s heavy reliance on speeches, letters, diaries, etc.

Churchill was a hardcore imperialist, and a racist (maybe less racist than his peers on average though). He was, if not a warmonger, then a war enjoyer. His judgment was pretty suspect sometimes, as he was an egotist who would get fixated on his own ideas. And yet he probably saved England’s ass, and helped get us in the war sooner, which was a good thing. He was one of the few that had Hitler pegged from the start.

I am not big on arguing historical alternate hypotheticals. Some people say Churchill didn’t matter as much, since the US was inevitably going to get into the war, and develop the bomb first, and Hitler didn’t really want to invade England, and anyway Germany couldn’t beat Russia and the west, and anyway Stalin was just as bad. But I don’t know. Attlee probably would have accepted peace terms if it had been up to him. Hitler would have had a lot more time. Who knows what would have happened.

Anyway I was very impressed by Churchill during the war, whatever his other failings were. The guy had no quit in him

3 Likes

Just added Musashi to my Audible to start tomorrow.

The reviews are intense.

4000 reviews at 5 stars. All like “best book I’ve ever read. Best audible experience ever. Etc”

Something wrong in the audible algorithm that stuff like this doesn’t bubble to the top.

1 Like

I’m excited for you. First read it when I was about 14 and it’s a huge part of why I ended up in Japan. Reread it at least a dozen times since then. No idea what the audible is like, but hopefully it’s a good narration.

2 Likes

The reviews are full of fans of the book praising the narration. So, fingers crossed!

2 Likes

If any of you wish to take on Lex Fridman’s reading list I’d like to humbly suggest removing The Brothers Karamazov, which isn’t funny at all, and substiuting this, which is freakin’ hilarious:
https://www.simplystreep.com/projects/1974-the-idiots-karamazov/

Review and summary of the last book I read:

Just finished The Ministry for the Future by Kim Stanley Robinson. Lots of really great ideas, but seemed far too hopeful.

I read this obsessively as a teenager. My martial arts teacher instilled in me that Musashi was one of the greatest swordsmen who ever lived. He would reference parts of the book and demonstrate the techniques and how to use them in a “real” swordfight.

There have been lots of adaptations of the swordsman’s story, but the one to watch is the trilogy that started in 1954 with Samurai 1.

If you really enjoy the book and movie trilogy, guessing you’d love (or have already seen) Lone Wolf and Cub.

2 Likes

Wish this was as good as I remember, but I’m starting to think that for me, Stephen King was for a different season.

2 Likes

I had to stop the audio book. I just couldnt get into it. Perhaps the pacing doesnt work for an audio book and and reading it will be better. Or maybe it’s just a slow patch.

Like. I’d listen for an hour, and that wouldnt even finish one conversation.

Based on a ton of recommendations, I’ll try the reading version at some point, but my backlog there is pretty long.

1 Like

It’s definitely dense. I wouldn’t feel bad if it’s one of those books you finish a little at a time over a long time as you read other things.

Theres a version on Audible which is narrated by his son. I think that really added something for me. His delivery was amazing. Theres parts where I was hanging on every word.

2 Likes

A Burning: A novel by Megha Majumdar

A well written debut novel about modern India and the injustices of the justice system

Chop Suey, USA: The Story of Chinese Food in America

I thought I was going to enjoy this but I didn’t. The beginning third of the book is a history of Chinese cuisine which I thought fair enough it’s creating a baseline. The next third is the colonial history of China and America, which ok it needs to be in the book and it’s setting up the interchange, but we’re running out of book here. The last third quickly skims over the last 200 years of history. It never really gets down into detail about how Chinese cuisine interacted with American cuisine, like what did Chinese cooks do when they couldn’t find ingredients? Modern Chinese restaurants are, though transference kind of denigrated as places where Americans expect cheap food. Which is true enough, but what about the owners of these restaurants? What are their hopes? How do they see their role in America? What are their stories? It kind of skips over all that. Really any kind of interaction of America which Chinese food is seen as denigrating the pureness of Chinese cuisine.

Interesting tid bits. I had no idea what chop suey was outside of that System of a Down song. Turns out it was just stir fry. General Tao’s Chicken was invented somewhere from the 50’s to the 70’s.

Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland

Book about the reserve police force and their role in the mass executions in Poland and eventually the round up and leading Jews to the death camps. The conclusions were to be expected but also a bit unexpected. The general atmosphere was that the police initially didn’t want to do the round ups and mass executions, but once done then additional killings became common place.

The more opportunities given to people to not join in the less people wanted to do the killings. The first mass execution the leaders gave the option to any policeman who didn’t want to participate to leave. Very few people did. Those who remains felt worse about their actions. As as opposed to later when they were not given the option of leaving, then more people participated and more people felt better about doing it. Also the more direct killing the more people were reluctant to do the killing. Eventually the leadership got some Polish convicts to do the actual killing and then the German supervisors didn’t mind so much.

The overall hypothesis from the book is that there something like a 20/70/10 split in the population with regards to mass execution of civilians. Occupation, education, previous experience didn’t play too much of a role. With 20% really getting into the killing. Like a bit too much, the other 80% of the people tried to avoid them and didn’t really like them, then there’s 70% of people who didn’t really like doing it, but did it, but also loafed around and avoided assignments when not threatened to do them, but also didn’t go out their way to not do them. Then there’s 10% of people whose moral compass wouldn’t allow them to participate. Incredibly the German leaders generally protected these 10% from retribution for the other 90%, until some random psycho would get promoted into leadership then they wouldn’t.

A Short Stay in Hell by Steven L. Peck

Speaking of Mormons in stories. This is about a Mormon who gets sentenced to Hell for being a part of the wrong religion and the only way to escape Hell is to find the book that perfectly describes his life in an never ending library.

I enjoyed this a bit. Not too much but it had enough to chew on about life, love, the meaning and purpose in life when there is no hope out of infinity and it’s a brisk book.

The Art of Agile Development 2nd Edition

by James Shore & Shane Warden

Our official methodology is waterfall, but we’re in a not very technological and behind the times environment like nearly all hospitals, but they’re rolling out Jira and there’s some talk about changing methodologies. I enjoyed reading it and I’d be curious to watch a sprint happen in the way it’s explained, especially in a physical space as opposed to all remote as it sounds so different from how we do things.

Wasteland The Great War and the Origins of Modern Horror By W. Scott Poole

Kind of what is says, it talks about the newly original and terrifying horrors of the first war and pairs it along the burgeoning horror genres and shows how one affected the other. Some are very obvious, some he doesn’t quite prove his theisis as some people have been writing horror and specifically the types of horror he mentions before WW1 and other times we extends himself too much, but over it was a good book. It’s a good survey of art in the 1910-1940 and it introduced me to artists I didn’t know.

5 Likes

Second this recommendation of the Samurai film trilogy, staring who else but the inimitableToshiro Mifune in the lead role as Musashi. An excellent adaptation of the novel.

1 Like

Spectrum Women: Walking to the Beat of Autism

I got this hoping to get some advice for my son, but unfortunately it’s mostly for older people in 20’s to 60’s. Nothing really much about kids or teenagers. It’s also very heavily into the women side of it so there are chapters about menopause and elder care. Not exactly helping. Also throughout the book is a bunch of self affirmation, rah rah, material which might be useful if I were an older woman with autism reading the book, but I wasn’t so I couldn’t make it all the way though.

Drunk Mom: A Memoir by Jowita Bydlowska

Girl Walks Out of a Bar: A Memoir by Lisa F. Smith

Listened to the audio books of both of there. Stories about normal people overcoming addition is interesting to me, and I guess to a lot of other people as well because there are a TON of these kind of high powered women / new mom who’s addicted stories. Neither one of these stand out in any way except for Drunk Mom author seems to be an obnoxiously terrible person. Not in a charismatic you love me but I do dumb things kind of way, just absolutely seems like a terrible person to be around. Apparently the reviewers thought so too and she doesn’t come off good in articles that other people have written where she’s involved either.

2 Likes

I quickly Googled this book and found numerous bad reviews plus one instance of effusive praise from … Lena Dunham. Lol.

Used my 2 month of free audible and listened to “Blood of Elves” from the witcher series. Is it just me or was only a part of this in season 2 of the series? Nevertheless I probably got the book done quicker than if I had to rely on reading. Also helped falling asleep so I had to rewind several times once I realized I already dozed off.

Most of the way through 36 hour audible of the 1000 page volume 1 (1878-1928) of Stephen Kotkin’s biography of Stalin (3rd and final volume set for 2024).

It’s a very impressive and detailed work, probably the definitive Stalin biography. It’s perhaps better in print to keep the names straight, but audible is fine. If you listened to 90ish episode Revolutions podcast on the Russian Revolution, this is somewhat like the more detailed version of that, with a lot of interesting information about the broader context of events.

The overall impression of Stalin is as quite smart and, more importantly, a doer/implementer who believed strongly in the “scientific” truth of the Marxist cause. If the party needed difficult things done Stalin was often the go to guy. The approaching utopia and inerrancy of Leninism would justify whatever approach was adopted.

Of course the broader context, like most Russian history, is a mixture of tragedy and farce, where people with bad ideas work hard to implement them in a bad system (despotic monarchy turns into to despotic bolshevism) with resulting general misery. It’s especially amusing how the party prohibited “factionalism”, which essentially banned dissent. Their triumph was as much squashing every other leftist and liberal group as defeating the monarchists. Peasants often intentionally got the short straw as the Bolsheviks focused on more industrial workers.

There’s quite a bit of focus on internal party dynamics, which can be interesting as it clarifies a lot of commonly held misconceptions advanced by Trotsky who supplied often misleading commentary on Stalin.

I’ll probably move on to volume 2, as Kotkin is very good writer and this is solid history. It could be half as long, but then it wouldn’t be as authoritative as it is.

For more general treatments, Kotkin has many quite good lectures and interviews on YouTube.

Here’s a random lecture about the book https://youtu.be/uFcb50HUNvE

4 Likes

I finished Lonesome Dove, which I swear has been on my to read list for 20 years. Shame I took so long, loved it and flew through it. My dad passed a long time ago, he loved western novels. I kept wondering if he had read it and wished I could talk with him about it.

7 Likes