What are you reading?

About 25 hrs into listening to Hamilton, around 10 more to go.

Really interesting reading about the debates between founding fathers, many who were actually at the constitutional convention, regarding the meaning and intent of various provisions. They couldn’t even agree at the time.

Also interesting to see the how much of the public back and forth was more vicious and trollish than just about anything in the 20th century. Hamilton’s nasty letters and argumentative essays perfected the form, most of today’s writing is superficial and utilitarian in comparison. People aren’t kidding when they say Hamilton wielded the written word like a weapon. He would knock out so much strongly argued and polished prose that many of his enemies and detractors despaired. Try writing responses to the federalist papers at a pace of like 2x per week.

I’m pretty firmly in the Hamilton/federalist camp, and it’s interesting to see how Hamilton vs Jefferson/Madison/republican debates are recapituated even today.

A small sample of Hamilton on Jefferson during the 1796 campaign:

On this day in history October 19, 1796, Former Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton wrote an essay in the Gazette of the United States under the pseudonym “Phocion” accusing presidential nominee Thomas Jefferson of having an affair with one of his slaves. During the contentious campaign between anti-Federalist Jefferson and Federalist Vice President John Adams, Hamilton wrote 25 essays attacking Jefferson. None of the attacks would plague Jefferson beyond the 1796 campaign as the accusation he was involved with his slave later revealed to be Sally Hemings. For 200 years, it would haunt Jefferson’s legacy, which historian Joseph J. Ellis called, “The alleged liaison between Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings may be described as the longest-running miniseries in American history.”

On October 15, Hamilton started to write his articles in the Gazette attacking Jefferson as unfit for the presidency. Historian Thomas Fleming writes in his book The Great Divide: The Conflict between Washington and Jefferson that Defined a Nation President George Washington inferred a warning about Jefferson in his Farewell Address mentioned as the “spirit of party” taking over. Hamilton’s attacks would mostly be about Jefferson’s public views, his support for France the French Revolution. Many of the assaults attacked Jefferson’s “lack of courage” while Governor of Virginia and his “retreat” from Washington’s cabinet as Secretary of State while the nation faced international problems.

Hamilton repeatedly attacked Jefferson’s noble claim not to be seeking power or having “political ambitions.” Hamilton writing as Phocion decried Jefferson as a “proto-Caeser, who ‘coyly refused the proffered diadem’ while secretly doing everything in his power to obtain it. In a word he was a hypocrite.” (Fleming) In contrast, Hamilton praised fellow federalist Adams, who was Washington’s handpicked successor. Hamilton ended his attacks on November 24. As Paul F. Boller noted, “The first real presidential contest in American history turned out to be exuberantly venomous. On both sides, handbills, pamphlets, and articles in party newspapers denounced, disparaged, damned, decried, denigrated, and declaimed.” (Boller, 7)

The article on October 19 was intensely personal, and the first time Jefferson would be accused of having an affair with one of his slaves. Neither Jefferson nor Adams directly engaged each other during the campaign remaining above the fray. Adams would go on to win the 1796 election but by only three Electoral College votes, 71 to Jefferson’s 69.

https://medium.com/@BonnieKGoodman/otd-in-history-october-19-1796-alexander-hamilton-accuses-thomas-jefferson-of-having-an-affair-78b7363ea243

Gun, with Occasional Music by Lethem was a fun detective story.

Good news for some of our favorite authors

https://twitter.com/Catrambo/status/1270769500456009728

I’ve been making some good work of an amazing fantasy series called the Wandering inn, all available for free on the authors website, or the first two volumes are available for the kindle as well for a pretty low price.

I’m currently in volume 7 and have been reading it for about 5 hours a day, every day, for the last 2 months… So yeah I’m in deep! Definitely very well written, highly recommend.

Just to give you a view into my world, I just read The Virtues of Violence: Democracy Against Disintegration in Modern France by Kevin Duong.

Read might be a bit of an overstatement. It’s an academic book. I tend to pay more attention to the introduction and conclusions and glide over the narrative history in between those points, more so in this book because I don’t particularly care for French history.

The book presents an alternative to the standard view of violence as an anarchic affront to the social contract. Instead there is the idea of “redemptive violence”, which regenerates society and forms social bonds.

Do other people read these sorts of books?

I am a fast reader and just blazed through a chapter of The ALL NEW Don’t Think of an Elephant based on @skydiver8’s recommendation in the above-linked thread. This is already a fascinating book. Good enough to recommend as a blind buy :+1:

3 Likes

I read it a few weeks ago after it was recommended here as well. Definitely good things in there, and does go on to say that changing hardcore conservatives will not be possible lol

2 Likes

Oh yes. Sounds great. Man I just hate how expensive these academic books are LOL. Did you shell out the $50?

I appreciate you bringing up this book. I have instinctive thoughts and feelings about violence. Perhaps this book will help me expand my understanding.

LOL

I really like the chapter on what conservatives believe. It resonates powerfully with the conservative ideology and mindset I was raised with and in many ways have not entirely discarded.

2 Likes

I might have other sources for these kind of books

If you want some free academic books that are relevant

https://twitter.com/MattGrossmann/status/1271591183068942337

4 Likes

That’s great. Much appreciated.

Yes, please. I downloaded half a dozen of the books from that list for later reading. (Annoying you can’t DL the entire book, but whatevs.)

1 Like

Carlos Ruiz zafon dead at 55. What a shame.

If you haven’t read Shadow of the Wind. Please do.

LOL, is there any news on book 3? I really enjoyed the first two, especially #1, but these fantasy guys I don’t know what the fuck their problem is with getting around to finishing these things.

Fuck.

I read Shadow of the Wind long ago. It was excellent.

1 Like

I put my lovely wife and the kind worth killing on my list as something different to read, i mostly read nonfiction but needed a break and so I’m giving My lovely wife a try. Its hard to put down for sure, I started at bedtime and didn’t want to stop.

Will report back when i finish.

1 Like

Finished it today, blew through it. Enjoyed it a lot even though I think you can see the ending coming.

2 Likes

I’m listening to Bring Up the Bodies on CD (thanks library)

The author is so good.

Rutger Bregman was on Yangs podcast and talked a little bit about his new book “Humankind: A Hopeful History”.

I think I’m going to read it just because I need a shot of hope right now.

1 Like

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2020/06/23/writing-reading-writing/

I am spending long hours every day on THE WINDS OF WINTER, and making steady progress. I finished a new chapter yesterday, another one three days ago, another one the previous week. But no, this does not mean that the book will be finished tomorrow or published next week. It’s going to be a huge book, and I still have a long way to go. Please do not give any credence to any of the click-bait websites that like to parse every word of my posts as if they were papal encyclicals to divine hidden meanings.

2 Likes